Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-16-MCW-TV] Robbie Brookside vs Reckless Youth

soup23

Reckless continues to have his heel persona down while also cheating, he mixes in some other unique counters to gain the advantage. The drop down and give the hand on the criss cross was especially inventive. I want to see Brookside in a long form match but so far in the MCW stuff I have lumped him in the good look, adequate worker category. I thought Reckless was more effective here at keeping the match on point and getting progressively frustrated with Robbie. Just as it looks like Brookside has control, Reckless gets a cheapshot in and then rolls up Brookside with a foot on the ropes. **

• 2 months later...

Reckless tries to get the crowd to clap along with him but they have no interest. It’s a different matter altogether though when Brookside tries though! Wristlock and Reckless is straight over grabbing the ropes for the break. Brookside works over Youth’s left arm and now he’s stooging and backing off in the corner. Drop down, leap frog and Reckless rolls himself into a ball and feeds Brookside the arm a la Johnny Saint. They work in a few more Saint spots before a dropkick sends Youth rolling out of the ring. He tries to surprise Brookside, sneaking up on him from behind, but he senses him coming and tosses Reckless over the top rope and straight back out to the floor. Brookside with a high knee, however as he charges Reckless picks him up and drops him face first into the top turnbuckle. Youth was about to give himself a pat on the back after that one but couldn’t manage it because he was hurting too much! Reverse neck snap, he then takes some tape off his wrist an uses that to choke Brookside out of the sight of the official, although not the crowd. Rolling neckbreaker for two. He cups his ear to the crowd like Hulk Hogan, but gives up as he’s still not getting the reaction he desires. Brookside falls into the ropes as Reckless heads up top, causing him to crotch himself, and hits a superplex that takes out both men. Neckbreaker by Robbie and Youth only just kicks out. Whip to the corner, but Reckless blocks the monkey flip, short powerbombing Brookside to the mat. Folding press with both feet over the middle rope for added leverage and Reckless gets the win.

They’re still at ‘Libertyland’ and Brookside would have felt right at home in this environment as the setting very much reminded me of a British Holiday Camp show, the kind of which he would’ve worked hundreds, if not thousands of in the UK. Fun match with Reckless heeling it up and playing to the crowd whilst adding some nice touches along the way such as not being able to pat himself on the back because he was hurt, using his wrist tape and even incorporating some old WOS spots. Brookside was okay here and did get the crowd behind him but that’s about it. I also thought that this came off very much as a match that the two were working for the fans in attendance as opposed to the TV audience.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-16-MCW-TV] Robbie Brookside vs Reckless Youth