Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-25-WWF-Raw] Edge & Christian vs Matt & Jeff Hardy (Ladder)

soup23

A good ladder match but this palled in comparison to most of the stipulation matches we have seen in the past year with these two teams. The reasoning of that was a combination of the peak happening in the middle portion with Edge’s spear off the ladder. In addition, this featured a lot of slow climbing that killed the flow. It was used to built up drama but felt like the guys trying to remember the next sequence. I didn’t think this was a particularly good performance for Edge and Christian. *** (6.2)

• 3 months later...

RAW gives away this ladder match as it's their first TNN show. Understandable to strike while the iron is hot with this feud and this is sort of a greatest hits brief version of the feud at this point. Of note is Edge doing the big spear spot to Jeff while he hangs from the belts, which could not really be topped for the remainder of the match. This is pretty much spot-spot-spot and more of a sprint than their match the night before which told a more ambitious story. A pleasing match molded for TV though and a good one to give the Hardys another win, which was probably needed at this point.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd totally forgotten they used the spear off the ladder here, which would end up being a signature spot from TLC 2.

Much like the cage match the night before, they'd pushed things so far with the big matches that this feels slightly lacking in that context, despite it being a pretty solid ladder match for any other pair of teams. I don't mind the slow climbing as much here because they've already established that both teams are pretty hurt from the night before. The big mistake here is putting the spear spot too early, as it's the high point and they needed to get to the finish faster after it. I did like the finishing spot, though. Solid performance from both teams, and a really amazing two days when you combine the effect of both big stip matches.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-25-WWF-Raw] Edge & Christian vs Matt & Jeff Hardy (Ladder)