Pro Wrestling Only

[1970-06-06-Joint Promotions] Bert Royal & Vic Faulkner vs Masambula & Honeyboy Zimba

Jetlag

Interesting tag which was fairly luchariffic. These guys clearly had a routine worked out, and they wrestled smooth as butter. I dug Royal alot as he always does nifty technical stuff, Faulkner on the other hand could never get his stupid grin off of his face. The Black Knights - Masambula and Honeyboy Zimba were pretty solid too. Obviously Masambula's charisma was the center, as he has mad presence, but he also did a lot of wrestling. I liked that while it was acknowledged that Masambula was a bit of a comedic, he had no problem going on the mat and piledriving Faulkner out of nowhere. I also loved Walton pointing out Faulkner is too short for the arm lever to work. Zimba saves the biggest highspots until the end when he does his awesome kip ups. Match didn't develop a ton of intensity or high end work but it was a fun look at this kind of entertaining good time british match.

• GSR changed the title to [1970-06-06-Joint Promotions] Bert Royal & Vic Faulkner vs Masambula & Honeyboy Zimba
  • 4 years later...

It’s a match like this that makes me beyond grateful for finding recommendations from other people in the wrestling community. (Looking at you Loss) Vic Faulkner is a great worker and wouldn’t have been out of place in any company or any era. Royal and Zimba also play their parts beautifully and I’m intrigued to see more of them both. Masambula is a name any wrestling fan needs to go search film of now! He’s just so unique as an entertainer and absolutely steals the spotlight here while not being over the top. This match ends tied 1-1 at the time limit. Not only were the wrestlers seemingly unaware as they keep battling at the bell, but it is one of those matches that goes 20 minutes and I have to check the time because I don’t believe it as it feels half that. Fun Fun Fun stuff and something everyone should seek out. **1/2