Pro Wrestling Only

Matches From 2006

Guest Benjie

Guest Benjie

Not really a full review

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio, WWE SmackDown! 31/3/06

Considering their talents and the matches they?ve been able to produce together with similar time constraints, they disappointed me. The match was a far cry from their famous Summerslam match or even the match from Japan last year.

Like most of their matches, they were able to start out really well with nice simple character establishing spots. Angle would attempt to ground Rey down with holds and with his innovative offence, Rey would manage to weave his way out of the situation around two or three times. The spots were effective as when Angle was finally able to contain Rey, it came off as a major turning point in the match.

Angle?s control of people is far better when he hits a few moves and then allows the wrestler to tease a comeback, only to cut them off with a move like the Belly-to-belly or German suplex. This is because when he just places opponents in holds, he doesn?t manage to hold my interest as they don?t look threatening at all and he?s much better suited to a quicker paced style. This match is no different as he placed Rey in a bout two or three boring rest holds and didn?t let Rey have enough comeback teases. It?s a shame as Rey is the best at this in the company.

The finishing sequences at the end were good as they featured a few good near falls. But compared to other matches that they have had together, this match did feel as though they were holding back and it ended abruptly. The match was good for TV, but I went in with higher expectations since they always manage to bring the goods.

• 9 months later...

Homicide vs. Bryan Danielson (6/3/06)

This was the Homicide show, as he really stole the spotlight in the match. Early portions were fairly pedestrian, until they go out to the floor and brawl around a bit, while Danielson starts going to town on Homicide's shoulder. Homicide really shines in his role as the face, as his selling of the arm is top notch and natural (unlike some other ROH workers whose selling is rather unnatural). Things eventually build to both men missing moves from the top, which really made things interesting for the last few minutes, as it was back and forth after that. Danielson is working his heel schtick pretty good, even in the later portions of the match. For example when both guys are slugging each other and really getting the crowd going, Danielson goes for the eyes as he's losing the striking match, which got a great reaction due to the timing.

Unfortunately, Danielson's timing on some of his late match moves isn't strong, as he blows off some previous offense and goes through a dragon suplex like nothing, without bothering to milk it for heat or dramatic effect. Best near-fall of the match was Homicide's frog splash, which he hit after fighting off a Danielson superplex attempt. A good example of getting a hot near-fall out of a counter. Finish wasn't great, mostly because the Danielson elbows didn't look particularly effective, and a ref stoppage should really warrant some nasty looking punishment. The booking of it was fine, because it kept Homicide strong, it just wasn't performed well. The match was still rather good, and makes me look forward to their rematch. ***1/2

• 3 weeks later...

WWE US Title William Regal v John Bradshaw Layfield (WWE Smackdown 28/04/06)

Personally, I think Regal is a whole lot better than Finlay, and for what it was, this match was great. JBL is the perfect antagoniser, so watching him rile up the English crowd is fantastic; Regal is also great as the fiery, angry face - he showed it in his shiort feud with HHH, and again here. Regal is like a fucking God in England, and JBL is scum wherever he goes, so of course the reaction is off the charts.

I'm not sure how I would have liked the match in another context though. I'm not a big fan of JBL's in ring ability, for all his brilliance on the mic, and Regal only looks world class against guys like Benoit, so he's not going to carry JBL to a classic. They have a simple, intense match, Regal gets bust open, JBL is a prick working it over, Regal comes back with sudden supexles and nearly pulls it out only for the evil foreigner to 'steal one', as the abdonimal Michael Cole is fond of saying. The cunt. I feel like hitting the screen every time he tells me that somebody has 'stole this thing' or screams 'what a match Tazz'. But that's another story. Good stuff, and a whole ton of fun, though the pre-match talking may have outshone the actual match itself. ***

Somebody find me some SD comps already!

Chris Benoit/Gunner Scott v Booker-T/Fit Finlay (WWE Smackdown 19/05/06)

Really solid tag match. It was a good move having a few FIP moments, rather than one big one, and I was very suprised how long they were given. First time I's seen Scott, and he looked really limited, not to mention having zero charisma at al. How people seem to like that guy is puzzling. Benoit puts in an awesome performance, and the sections with him and Finlay brawling are stiff as fuck and made the match worth watching for their brilliance. I'd love to see them in a staight out brawl together. Booker was just there, and Lashley's appearance at the end was nicely done and he came off looking really good, which, from what I hear, is a lot more than he manages these days. **1/2

This is my first review / play-by-play.

"American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA 12/2/06 NOAH - Yokohoma Bunka Gymnasium - 3,800 Fans

Handshake of respect is given. Danielson works over the arm for the beginning of the match, a very lengthy feel out process. Danielson is so good at tearing down body parts, rendering them completely useless. Kenta tries to do some of his own arm work, but Danielson will have none of it using a back bridge and then a dropkick to get Kenta off of him. Danielson leg scissors Kenta's head, which Kenta gets out of and slaps Danielson in the face, heelish prick. Danielson doesn't take to it too kindly ripping into Kenta's arm again, and then slapping him in the face.

Kenta with elbows, Danielson with stiff european uppercuts. A very quick whip and drop sequence follows with Danielson pulling out a neat combo of hip toss followed directly with a sweet armbar, Kenta reaches the ropes. Danielson does the classic armbreaker over his shoulder, and then between his legs, and my favorite, putting his arm resting on his wrist on the mat and stomping it. Danielson gets a one count for his fantastic arm work so far. Kenta comes back with some swift, stiff kicks to Danielson's chest, and then his back for a one count. Kenta with a side headlock on the mat, for a while. Danielson gets to the ropes, no clean break for him as Kenta kicks him in the chest, and then hit him with a slow swinging neck breaker for a 2 count. Kenta now puts danielson in the head scissors, and in a funny spot, with Kenta on his stomach, they both start screaming and Danielson pops his head out between Kenta's leg. Wow. With Kenta on his stomach, Danielson goes for the surf board stretch, but Kenta refuses to give him his hands, so in an awesome spot, Danielson grinds his knuckles into Kenta's kidney area. Now that he has control of his arms he prepares to swing back with a "whoa...whoa" which is funny. As soon as he falls back he puts him in the dragon sleeper for a quick second, and then a one handed push back choke.

Danielson goes back for a surf board, but just jumps stomping both legs in the process. Danielson with another swank european uppercut, over the shoulder arm breakers. Kenta gets fired up and dishes out a quick couple elbow shots and knees to the midsection, and then tries to suplex Danielson who blocks it with a takedown armbar. Kenta cannot reach the ropes for a few seconds, Danielson holds on even though he's told to break, and then tells the ref he has until five. That was awesome. More over the shoulder arm breakers and then a back suplex for 2. Back to the dragon sleeper, with an added twist, putting Kenta's right arm inbetween his legs and sitting down. Kenta reaches the ropes. Danielson with another european uppercut, and a couple of Benoit style head butts. Danielson with a butterfly suplex into a armbar. That was cool. Damn, more over the shoulder arm breakers. Danielson whips Kenta into the corner, charges, gets the boot, Kenta runs off the ropes and get floored with a back elbow. Danielson goes for a suplex, but Kenta floats over and Danielson runs the ropes into a powerslam by Kenta, no cover.

Kenta with a running yakuze kick. Kenta with an elbow smash, charges d\Danielson gets a boot to the face, Danielson climbs the ropes and dives at Kenta, and eats a cutter (diamond cutter) for a 2 count. Kenta with strikes, spin kick, springboard dropkick for another 2 count. Backs Danielson into the corner and gives him some elbows. Whips Danielson into the other corner, and Danielson runs the turnbuckle does a backflip over Kenta landing behind him, Kenta charges and takes a nasty push down backbreaker. Danielson with the stalling diving head butt for a 2 count. A quick pin sequence follows, sunset flips, roll overs, etc, all for 2. Danielson tries to sunset flip Kenta, but gets slapped in the face yet again, and then gets a fisherman buster for his troubles for a 2 count. Kenta climbs the ropes and mocks Danielson, he'll soon regret that, Kenta dives and eats Danielson's boot. Danielson looks pissed. Kenta has rolled onto the apron, and Danielson tries to suplex him back into the ring, but Kenta counters and suplexs him out of the ring to the floor. Kenta tries to baseball slide, Danielson side steps and gives Kenta a LARIATOOOO~! knocking Kenta over the guardrail. Danielson gets back in the ring and shows his flying skills clearing the guardrail nailing Kenta with a springboard crossbody splash. Danielson landed badly, hurting his left knee. Kenta looks pretty shaken up as well. Danielson is having trouble standing at this point. Ref is counting. 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 Danielson is in 19 - Kenta is in.

Danielson with a top rope dropkick. He kips up and screams in agony hopping on one leg, yet charges at Kenta at full speed giving him a diving elbow. Danielson goes for a top rope move, but Kenta hits his leg and pushes him off, and Danielson charges back and gets a boot to the face, and then a spinning ddt over the ropes. Kenta spring boards at Danielson, who ducks, and botches a german suplex. Looked like he wanted to do a release, but Kenta doesn't do the necessary flip. so, Danielson quickly covers up the mistake and makes a bridge and gets a slow 2 count. Danielson runs the ropes and get a calf dropkick to the side of his head, Kenta follows up with a texas cloverleaf. Kenta must be watching Dean Malenko lately. Danielson reaches the ropes and takes a german suplex for two, still holding his knee. Kenta with some strikes, and goes for a spinning chop, Danielson ducks and gives Kenta a bridging back suplex while underhooking his left leg for a two count. Danielson ascends the turnbuckle, Kenta gives chase jumping right up to him, Danielson in yet another sweet spot slips through Kenta's leg and gets up behind him and gives him a top rope back suplex for 2 3/4. Danielson wastes no time and locks Kenta into the cattle multilation. Kenta is in the hold for about ten seconds before he reaches the ropes and Danielson releases the hold and immedaitely grabs his knee. Nice sequence of spots.

Slugfest time, Danielson's european uppercuts vs. Kenta's elbows. Danielson then does a running head butt, and Kenta with a running yakuze kick, Danielson with another running head butt, and then another. Those looked sick as hell, especially the last one.

Danielson now with the crossface chicken wing. Kenta with a leg takedown using his leg, which is cool. Kenta puts on the texas cloverleaf again, but small pakaged after a few seconds for a 2 count, and a round of aplouse. Slapping contest, and a kitchen sink by Danielson, followed up by 20 elbows strikes to Kenta's neck, yes, twenty. Danielson gets the cattle multilation on again, but doesn't like his positioning, so he releases, rolls Kenta over with a spinning headlock and reapplies the cattle multilation! That was incredible. Kenta reaches the ropes again, and is selling his neck. Danielson does the Benoit cut throat. Danielson goes for the tiger suplex, Kenta counters and goes for the go 2 sleep, Danielson counters and hits the tiger suplex for 2 3/4. Danielson goes for the cattle multilation again but Kenta rolls with him and pins Danielson for a 2 3/4 count. Wow. Double running yakuza kicks, Kenta with a flapjack lift into cutter again, Kenta with a combo of strikes and a Busaiku Knee Kick for 2 3/4. Kenta starts running the ropes going for it again, but Danielson moves and victory rolls with a bridge for 2, school boy for 2. Elbow strike fest, Danielson with a rolling elbow, Kenta goes for rolling elbow, but Danielson ducks and goes for the backslide, Kenta flips over and gives Danielson three Kawada style kicks to the head, and then hoists Danielson up on his shoulders, GO 2 SLEEP~! Danielson takes it to the chest, and is out on his feet, cover, 1 - 2 - 3! WINNER: KENTA in 25:21.

Wow. That was a great match. Felt like a AJPW 1990's heavyweight match, with the big moves, solid mat work, good heat, pretty decent selling at times, and them busting their asses for over 25 minutes. A very solid, re-watchable match. ****1/2

They (NOAH) should really consider having Danielson tour more often, well, once he returns from his injury. Danielson is easily in the top ten, possibly top five wrestlers in the world right now.

WWE Armageddon 2006

Inferno Match: Kane v Monty Vivacious Porter

Inferno matches are meant to be huge events, but since this one contains a man whose been in the company about two months, and a man nobody has cared for in about seven years, I wasn't exactly stoked. Throw in the fact that MVP is wearing perhaps the worst ring gear I've ever seen, and it looks like this could be wrestle-crap. Luckily for them, they don't have to do much, as it's the fire the fans have come to see. The match itself isn't up to much cop, but it's more of a spectacle than anything, and at being a spectacle, it's pretty successful. We got to see a man get burned by '500 degree' flames; you can't say fairer than that. **

WWE Tag Team Championship: Ladder Match: Paul London/Brian Kendrick© v Matt Hardy/Jeff Hardy v William Regal/Dave Taylor v Joey Mercury/Jonny Nitro

I was told this was the best ladder match in history; it wasn't, but it was a ton of fun. The action is thick and fast, as you might expect, and I give them credit, they actually came up with some new stuff, instead of trailing through all the old ladder match spots. I kind of question the logic of going all out on a match nobody has actually paid to see, but who am I to complain. I'm sure Mercury is more than a little pissed though; it isn't even as if the move causing his injuries was that spectacular.

Regal and Taylor are the best and worst wrestlers in the match at the same time. On offence it's fantastic, especially when facing London or Kendrick, who just get tossed around like they're cabers at the highland games. One particularly painful looking moment is when London gets a sleeper suplex...on top of a ladder. They also bring a nice storyline to the table, to break up the chaotic action. Unfortunately, Regal and Taylor are terrible at eating offence, and proceed to take awful ladder shots and the like. And who had the bright idea that William Regal should be taking a Sliced Bread off a ladder? Yes, it sucked. This match didn't though, and was thoroughly entertaining, if failing to live up to expectations. ***1/4

I feel my rating was rather harsh there, but in comparison to some matches that got ***1/2, it isn't as good. I'm beginning to hate the star rating system...

Mike Mizanin v The Boogeyman

JBL seems to hate Miz, and once he starts walking to the ring, I can see why. I hate him already; not because he's a good heel, but because I legitimately don't want to see him wrestle, and his character sucks ass. He still manages not to be the worst wrestler in the match, as his opponent is Boogeyman , whose gimmick is not only revolting to watch, but who is useless in the ring and isn’t even over. The crowd didn’t care, and neither did I. And they charge $50 for this crap. 1/4*

WWE United States Championship: Chris Benoit© v Chavo Guerrero

Vicki Guerrero does an interview before the match, and after waking up next to that every day, I’m only surprised Eddie lasted that long. Still, at least she’s showing proper respect for his memory. Oh wait... The storyline is horrible, the match is solid. Chavo has always been painfully average, but he’s at least serviceable, and Benoit, while having lost a step, is still rather awesome. They work it around some decent body part work - Chavo hardly picks it apart, but at least he doesn’t resort to dull holds, and then they work towards a typically bad finish. It was alright, but it wasn’t going to set the world alight, and the crowd couldn’t of cared less, until the dreaded multiple-multiple Germans were dusted off and brought out for the mandatory pop. **1/4

WWE Cruiserweight Championship Gregory Helms© v Jimmy ‘Wang’ Yang

Nice to see the WWE gimmick writers earning their large salaries - you’re really getting your moneys worth here, Vince, Jimmy ‘Wang’ Yang is an ingenious creation. Yeah, who am I kidding. Yang had a dismal run in ROH, but gimmick aside, he isn’t too bad here, and Helms is perfectly fine as well. The crowd are still bored though, I’ve never seen such an apathetic reaction to a top rope neck-breaker. I agree with JBL, don’t hate, appreciate. They work a nice little match, though firmly in the WWE cruiserweight style, but once again do little to excite me. **1/4

Last Ride Match: The Undertaker v Ken Kennedy

After preventing myself from dropping off during Undertaker’s entrance, I saw your usual Taker brawl. WWE forgets history once again, by claiming Undertaker won the first Last Ride match, but still, if it makes a hardcore match seem life threatening, then why not. It’s hard to take this seriously as a violent brawl at times, with stuff like Taker sitting up after about 10 chair shots, and getting thrown onto what is clearly a protective mat. On the plus side, the strikes look rather snug, and they seem to have decent chemistry together. But it’s hard to love a match with a crowd so completely heatless, and at the end of the day, this fails to set itself apart from the general Taker match, when Kennedy could have took it to the next level. **1/4

Naughty Or Nice Lingerie Match: Krystal v Ashley v Jillian v ???

I rather enjoyed this, despite the fact that these ladies’ combined ring skills are nearly as bad a Nathan Jones’. Difference is, I never got a hard-on in a Nathan Jones match. Even better, they don’t even wrestle here. It soon goes downhill though, as the girls are forced to smile while some fat oaf I’ve never heard of prances round the ring. N/A

John Cena/Batista v Fit Finlay/Booker-T

While not exactly main event quality, this isn’t particularly a bad match. It’s pretty indicative of the card actually; solid, but unspectacular. There is an interesting dynamic, but the main problem is, Booker, as we have seen in the past, really doesn’t work that well with either Cena or Batista. Knowing this, it was probably best to keep this one short, and Finlay brings some goodness to the contest. Cena (Surprisingly?) is actually the best worker here, excelling in all aspects of his performance, and generally outperforming Batista, who was meant to come across as the star. Pretty inoffensive stuff for the most part. **

This was a just above average card. Every match after the ladder match was hurt by the complete lack of heat, but the ladder match itself will be a reason for some people to buy the show. While the event didn’t exactly set the pulses racing, it didn’t bore me to tears either, and I kind of enjoyed a lot of it, when I got past the crap gimmicks and the fact is was WWE.

Changed my review style a bit, my old ones are kind of boring...

LAX vs. Styles & Daniels in an Ultimate X was your typical X division-esque match with a ho-hum finish. I can see why people have latched onto the LAX because even I believe in their gimmick. However, after seeing the match, I don't know if Styles & Daniels are the best guys to pair them up with.

The other match I watched tonight impressed the hell out of me. I watched Benoit vs. Regal from No Mercy. I don't know if it was the fact that there were no commercial breaks, but I enjoyed it much more than the Velocity matches. Incredibly stiff and one of the better Benoit matches I have watched this year. I really wish the crowd would have latched onto this feud because the dead crowd can hurt the energy level but maybe it is better that way since it really amplified the stiffness of the strikes. The ending was a little abrupt but the 12 minutes that preceded it was incredibly brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

Stranglehold Wrestling 10/29/2006 (Light Tubes & Barbed Wire) Necro Butcher vs LuFisto

Yeah, this is utterly fantastic. Necro bleeds a ton, and doesn't hesitate to kick the living shit out of Lu Fisto. Awesome violence and gore with the light tubes, I never thought I'd have so much fun watching a woman get beat up and give it right back. Tiny crowd, yet they don't hold back with anything and if anything ramp up the aggression. It's not just blood and guts though, it's a really tight brawl with great punched and the like. Yeah, check this out if you get chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Homicide/Samoa Joe v Briscoe Brothers (ROH Glory By Honor V Night 2)

I really wanted to love this, as I'm digging the Briscoes character and interviews at the moment, but unfortunately, there was so much wrong with this. The fact it started off as a great, heated brawl with a manic crowd, and turned into a standard wrestling tag, killing the crowd dead. Homicide's lame Eddie Guerrero tributes. The fact that Cide + Joe wrestled as heels for a lot of the match. The fact that Joe looked lacklustre and unmotivated. It was just boring and the wrong match for the occassion. It's lack of decent structure didn't help either; it's a problem that constantly comes up in Briscoes matches, as no team maintains any offence for a substantial period. There's a moment where Joe gets the hot tag, and then starts circling the ring for a grapple. Everything feels wrong. It's kind of saved by an excellent last few minutes, but it's the epitome of a nothing match. There isn't even anything humorous I can say about it. *3/4

Watching all of the Glory By Honor V weekend, and it's all been very dull so far. The exception is the fantastic Jimmy/Colt/Lacey storyline, which really is the best thing in wrestling at this point. It's must see stuff, and the reason I picked up the DVD's.

• 3 weeks later...

goodhelmet's 2006 MOTYC set disc 1 part 1

La Mascara & El Hijo Del Santo vs. Blue Panther & Tarzan Boy (CMLL GDL 1/1/06)

The thrill of this one os seeing El Hijo del Santo and Blue Panther hookin' it up again. They start right out with some very smooth matwork, and it's just a pure pleasure to watch. Panther is not as quick as he once was, but he's still pretty spry. He works in a handstand spot, and if that doesn't warm your heart you might want to check and see if it's still there.

This has quite an old-school feel, as the first two falls build slowly, with lots of mutual respect spots and handshaking... then they just unleash for the third. The big spot involves both Santito and Panther doing huge dives to the floor from the top turnbuckle. I have to say, I wasn't expecting that. The finish is superb.

KENTA vs. Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH 1/22/06)

It seems like watching handsome junior heavyweights kick the crap out of each other has kind of gone out of style in 2007. I don't care. I can't get enough of this kind of match. They do a lightening fast exchange into a standoff, then go straight into the stiff slaps. I get the feeling that this is going to be a hot match... AND IT IS!

There's some MMA-inspired matwork, then it's back up for minutes of stupidly sick stiffness ans hilarious direspect spots. After a good long while Maru proceeds to take KENTA's leg apart. If there's a big flaw in this match, it's that it's obvious that all the leg work will lead nowhere.

Anyway, I forget to care as they head straight into the HOLY $#*&! part of the match. It's frankly amazing how these two guys manage to keep coming up with new variations of their craziest spots. They just string one crazy maneuver after another together, and only badly blow one of them. Then they do a bunch of variations on the theme of nearfalls. This is damn near a half-hour match, but it just flies by. As I said, I can't get enough of this stuff. Word on the street is, this is not even their best match on this set!

Shadow WX & Mammoth Sasaki v. Abdullah Kobyashi & Daisuke Sekimoto (BJPW 1/27/06)

What's great about this is that it's at least 85% old fashioned hard hitting heavyweight tag team action, and less than 5% aimlessly hitting guys with stuff or putting guys through stuff. The rest is hitting guys with stuff in a way that suits the flow of the match. High-flying Kobyashi is hilarious and unexpectedly believable. Sekimoto is jacked up and working tight. WX and Sasaki are a good team, they work together, and they pull out chair shot variations that Edge and Christian never imagined. All four guys are better at working a straight style than I would have imagined. Mutoh impersonations are always a bonus in my book, as well.

Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker (No Way Out 2/19/06)

What's remarkable about this is that they let the wrestling tell the tale. No run-ins, ref bumps, or lightning bolts coming out of the undead giant's hands. They build slowly to the HUGE spot, then quickly transition into a really fun extended sequence of holds and reversals that never loses momentum. The finish is outstanding, and this match easily lives up to the hype.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Takeshi Morishima (NOAH 3/5/06)

An epic heavyweight encounter, with Morishima on fire, and Misawa at his absolute latter-day best. It's all hard hitting, big moves, and sick bumps. Morishima gets busted hardway, and doesn't slow down for a second. Misawa lays a brutal beating on him, and it does my heart good to see him in such fine form.