Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-05-23-WWE-Over the Limit] John Cena vs Batista ('I Quit')

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Champion John Cena vs Batista - Over The Limit 2010 I Quit

Over the limit, under arrest. I am glad they retired this PPV name because the ad is all I can think of. I thought they did a good job building to this with Batista rightfully complaining about the finish of the Last Man Standing and John Cena owning up to his actions by giving Batista a rematch and ensuring a definitive winner in the form of an I Quit Match. I don't really think they broke new ground with this at all. Batista giving Cena a chance to quit at the beginning of the match is always a great arrogant dick move only to take a mic shot to the head. Pretty routine opening section nothing stood out to me. Best sequence was Batista hiding behind the ref to avoid the FU, Cena being like cmon you chump, kick to the knee and spear by Batista! It was weird they spent all this time building up Batista's new submission, the Rings of Saturn, they even had Mark Henry wear bandages. They just threw it out like nothing in the first half and had Cena power out. Cena responds with STFU, Batista passes out. Cena gets water to revive him. Nice touch. But oh no this rejuvenates Batista who now hits Cena with a spear and powerbomb. Batista really wants to hit Cena with a powerbomb through the announce table remember Extreme Rules. Cena busts himself open when he rolls from the apron to the floor he smacks his head so hard he draws blood. Damn, dude. After some struggle Batista powerslams him through the table. After this it stops being a wrestling match. There is crowd brawling, Batista threatens to throw Cena from the upper part of the Loge to the floor, Batista takes a trust fall into the arms of security, Batista tries to run Cena over with a car, Cena FUs Batista on the hood of the car and while Batista is in the arms of Cena, he says I Quit and John Cena says Fuck You and hits the FU from the top of the car through the entrance way. Way too over the top for me. Beginning was pedestrian and they blew off the Rings of Saturn to build around stunts like crowd brawling and potential vehicular mansalugher. I liked the ending admittedly very definitive. ***

• GSR changed the title to [2010-05-23-WWE-Over the Limit] John Cena vs Batista ('I Quit')
  • 2 years later...

What a potentially good match ruined by a desire to shoehorn in some big stunts to close out the show. For two wrestlers that had to have the clout to say "hey, how about we don't do that one really dumb thing" I can't believe neither of these guys vetoed that vehicular manslaughter spot. It's a shame because the first half of this had good drama, struggle, they were really laying it in, I even liked the Nagata Lock spot assuming they were going to come back to it. The trust fall was bad but it seemed like they were intent on using Joe Louis for something like that no matter what so it is what it is. But man I can't forgive that deal with Batista channeling his inner Suge Knight and Cena with the Batman out of the shadows surprise counter attack.