Pro Wrestling Only

AWA results for November 1985

rainmakerrtv

Going to zip through the next few shows to try to get caught up.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for November 1st

Greg Gagne vs. Tony Atlas

Atlas came out accompanied by Koko Ware and Brickhouse Brown. When the ref told them that he had to send them back to the locker room, Atlas, with an audible smirk, informed him that his lawyers had overturned the ban of them appearing at ringside, since Paul Orndorff had violated the terms of it by bringing Kevin Sullivan to the ring with him for their match in Milwaukee. When the ref discovered this to be true, he found himself helpless to remove them from ringside. Gagne put up a game effort, keeping Atlas on his toes throughout the match, but when Koko distracted the ref, Brickhouse hit a missile dropkick on Gagne that set him up for a running splash by Atlas to get the pin. After the match, Gagne got on the ring and challenged Onyx Express to a six man match with him and partners of his choosing.

Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Rick Steiner

A showdown of big , powerful wrestlers that ended with Hall hitting the Corporal Punishment to score the victory. Post-match, Hall and Dan Spivey bumped chests at ringside.

Killer Khan vs. Brad Armstrong

Try though he might, Armstrong ultimately found himself overwhelmed by Khan, who forced him to give up to the Oriental Thumb Choke. This was not enough for Khan, however, who then went up to the top rope and landed a devastating flying knee drop to Armstrong’s sternum. Sunshine was clearly distraught as Armstrong was taken from the ring on a stretcher.

Davey Boy Smith vs. Doug Somers

Another wild match between the members of the British Bulldogs and Playboy After Dark. Buddy Rose was trying to interfere in the match, but was cut off by Dynamite Kid. With this distraction, Davey Boy was able to power slam Somers for the win.

AWA World Title match : Paul Orndorff © vs. Steven Regal

After winning his series with Leo Burke, Regal was awarded a match with the World champ. The Young Gentleman gave an especially good accounting of himself in a match that swung back and forth, but Orndorff was ultimately able to hit the Piledriver which spelled the end of the match. This was not the end of the action, however, as Orndorff, clearly annoyed with how much fight Regal gave him, put the boots to him post-match. Norman Smiley and the British Bulldogs rushed out to protect Regal, but found themselves interecepted by Kevin Sullivan and the Varsity Club. Orndorff looked set to give another Piledriver, but Curt Hennig was able to break through and put a stop to that. Orndorff and the Varsity Club turned tail and fled from the ring.

AWA show from the Met Center, Bloomington, on November 1st (As shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Chavo Guerrero vs. Dave Schultz

Chavo hit a flying somersault senton to get the win

Leo Burke vs. Norman Smiley

Burke put Smiley out with a sleeper hold

Sgt. Slaughter & Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Kevin Sullivan & Dan Spivey

Hall pinned Sullivan after the Corporal Punishment

Chain Match : The Great Kabuki vs. Kendo Nagasaki

An incredibly bloody match ending with Kabuki wrapping the chain around his leg and hitting a series of kicks to Kendo’s face before pinning him

Tony Atlas & Onyx Express vs. Greg Gagne & ??

Gagne announced his partners as the Killer Bees. The Bees ended up executing the Bee Stinger (double flying hip attack) on Koko to get the win for their team

AWA Southern Tag Title match : Badd Company © vs. Mike Rotunda & Rick Steiner

Steiner ran face first into a thrust kick from Tanaka which spelled the end of their title challenge

AWA World Title match : Paul Orndorff © vs. Curt Hennig

Both men went to a 1 hour time limit draw

AWA show from Cobo Hall, Detroit, November 2nd

Dan Spivey vs. Norman Smiley

Spivey won with the Big Leg Drop

Hector & Mando Guerrero vs. Mike Shaw & Buzz Sawyer

Hector got the pin after hitting a slingshot cross body press on Shaw

Koko Ware vs. Pat Tanaka

Tanaka hit a rolling wheel kick to get the win

King Kong Bundy vs. “Crusher” Jerry Blackwell

Bundy missed a running splash, then Blackwell hit his own splash to score the victory

AWA Southern Title match : Al Perez © vs. Jesse Barr

Perez caught Barr in a German Suplex to successfully defend his title

AWA World Tag Title match : The British Bulldogs © vs. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Both teams were counted out while brawling outside the ring

Paul Orndorff & Lex Luger vs. Curt Hennig & Nick Bockwinkel

Luger was attempting the Human Torture Rack, but Bockwinkel blocked it then pinned him with a roll up

Wow, so much going in the AWA and so well written as usual.

Verne has been allowing his son to take some beatings of late but this was a nice set up for the Killer Bees to come in and put down the Onyx Express .

Love the push of Curt Henig here as he could be huge for you.

I love your knowledge of venues like how you said you needed a clean finish in Detroit.

The one thing I would watch is pushing the youngsters too quickly. Rick Steiner is still a year and half away from his first belt and Regal is almost 8 years away. You have done a nice job of developing them but your roster is so stacked that they might have to bide their time. I am very guilty of this also with the likes of Ultimate Warrior and Shane Douglas

Wow, so much going in the AWA and so well written as usual.

Verne has been allowing his son to take some beatings of late but this was a nice set up for the Killer Bees to come in and put down the Onyx Express .

Love the push of Curt Henig here as he could be huge for you.

I love your knowledge of venues like how you said you needed a clean finish in Detroit.

The one thing I would watch is pushing the youngsters too quickly. Rick Steiner is still a year and half away from his first belt and Regal is almost 8 years away. You have done a nice job of developing them but your roster is so stacked that they might have to bide their time. I am very guilty of this also with the likes of Ultimate Warrior and Shane Douglas

I really have no dislike of Groovy Greg, just have struggled to find a program where he would go over.

I just keep thinking with Detroit that, after years of screwjob finishes with the Sheikh killing the town, it is best to avoid a screwjob in the main event.

I try to be very careful with my rookies. I like to think of my version of the AWA being a wrestling version of the Justice Society, with the veterans helping train and develop the rookies that will be the next great generation of wrestlers. I do try to give them some wins but at the same time, keep it realistic. Steiner is raw but is a big huge stud athlete that has the sort of legit jock background that you can imagine getting a fairly early push (especially from Verne). I've kept him mostly in tag matches for his victories. Regal is a special and tricky place. He is extremely young at this point, and I had seen other promoters struggle with using him (sometimes trying to play him as 90s Lord Steven) and thought I could use him just the way he is at this time , as a up and coming youngster. For the most part , his victories have been against people at around the same level of experience as him ( such as the members of Badd Company), or veterans who are not at the top of the card (such as Burke and Wiskowski) who won't lose much positioning with a loss to him. I've tried to balance that out by a) giving him the Iron Fist Punch finisher (an early version of the Power Of The Punch) that means that if he is able to sneak it in, he just might feasibly pull off an upset, and B) he has been in the AWA (my version) long enough to develop his own following. I figure the World Title shot would be a reasonable reward for winning the 5 match series, with Orndorff letting the popular youngster get just enough shine to keep him over before ultimately finishing him off.

Rain, I am sorry if I came across wrong. You do a much better job then I do at developing talent and angles and so much more knowledge of wrestling then I do. I had just been watching so some Mid-South stuff from this period and Steiner was Richsteiner or something like that and he seemed so raw and I was surprised as the times I saw him were much later and he was a stud. The Rick Steiner I saw was not ready for a title shot but you are so right that he is big and athletic and is on the come.

Oh, believe me, I wasn't offended. I just took the chance to go on at length about my rookie division because I really like talking about my rookie division :) I am really anxious to see how the Fresh Faces draft shakes down, because I have something really fun planned for whoever I get out of it.

That's honestly the reason why I didn't pick a rookie... I didn't know if I would book them correctly in their rookie year given the way that I book. I have my own point of view on the matter which may be different but you have done well in building your guys up over the last year. I personally like the build of Luger as going into 86, he is already someone of great value who could be on the move quickly and find a home as a franchise cornerstone.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for November 8th

The Killer Bees vs. The Onyx Express

After the big debut of the Bees in Bloomington, the Express were clearly focused on making them pay for that victory. A fast paced and crazy bout with both teams swiftly moving in and out of the ring, it finally ended when the Bees once again hit the Bee Stinger on Koko for the win. That certainly didn’t end the action, however, with both teams continuing slugging it out with each other well after the final bell.

Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Dan Spivey

Spivey came out to the ring with Kevin Sullivan and Mike Rotundo in tow, but Hall clearly had no patience for either the Varsity Club or Spivey’s usual flexing and posing routine. He immediately started off by throwing down with Spivey and the two exchanged big punches and power moves. The match then took a strange turn when Pvt. Mick Foley, who hadn’t been seen for some weeks, made his way out and wandered around ringside. This was a different Foley from the last time he had been seen, with his hair grown shaggy, his face unshaven, and his eyes glassy as he stumbled around outside the ring. After a few minutes of this, Sullivan and Rotunda saw fit to attack him. Hall immediately charged out of the ring to come to his comrade’s rescue, while Spivey stayed in the ring, laughing while Hall got counted out. The moment the final bell rang, the Varsity Club split from the ring, leaving Hall to help Foley back to the locker room, clearly concerned about his well being.

Jerry Blackwell & Killer Khan vs. Sgt. Slaughter & King Kong Bundy

Another match with the Cobra Corps facing poor odds, with the Syndicate having both Sheikh Adnan Al-Kaissie and Tojo Yamamoto at ringside. Sarge seemed somewhat distracted, both by the antics of the Syndicate and concern over Foley, which led to “Special Forces” Bundy carrying the bulk of the match. This would cost the Corps, as Kaissie provided enough of a distraction to both Sarge and the ref that it left an opening for Tojo to hit Bundy with the kendo stick. This staggered him enough for Blackwell to power slam him then hit him with a running splash. This was not enough for Blackwell, who tagged in Killer Khan, who came in with a huge knee drop off the top rope to Bundy’s sternum. Just as it had the past week with Brad Armstrong, this had a devastating effect on Bundy, who wound up being taken out on a stretcher. Can anyone stop Killer Khan’s rampage of destruction?

The British Bulldogs & Steven Regal vs. Buddy Rose, Doug Somers & Leo Burke

Playboy After Dark have been cranking up the heat on the Bulldogs in their pursuit of the World Tag Titles, and were relentless in this six man match. Burke had an extended exchange with Regal which highlighted the new found respect between the two, but for the most part they focused their attentions on Davey Boy and Dynamite, and when the ref tried to get things under control, Somers slugged him, leading to a DQ. The Playboy’s crew still hit a nasty spike piledriver on Dynamite before they finally left the ring.

AWA Southern Title match : Al Perez © vs. Bob Roop

Perez was quite clearly furious coming out to this match, angry with the Syndicate for having taken his stable mate Brad Armstrong out of action last week, and was looking to take it out on Roop. Roop is a big tough veteran with no shortage of technical skills, but Perez would not be denied as his dismantled Roop with a series of brutal suplexes before cinching in the Oriental Armlock to get the win. Perez kept the Armlock on tight long after Roop had given up, and the ref had to threaten him with reversing the decision to get him to release it. You have to feel sorry for the next person who challenges Perez for his belt.

AWA show from the Cow Palace, San Francisco, November 8th (as shown on ESPN/TSN Super Cards)

Mando, Chavo & Hector Guerrero vs. Mike Shaw, Dave Schultz & Buzz Sawyer

Mando pinned Sawyer with the German Suplex

Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Kevin Sullivan

Hall hit the Corporal Punishment for the victory. After the match, the Varsity Club attacked Pvt. Mick Foley, who was wandering at ringside, leading to a brawl with Scott Hall

Al Perez & Great Kabuki vs. Don Muraco & Kendo Nagasaki

Perez forced Muraco to give up to the Oriental Armlock

Jerry Blackwell vs. Sgt. Slaughter

Blackwell beat Sarge with an Avalanche after interference from Killer Khan

AWA Southern Tag Title match : Badd Company © vs. Leo Burke & Ed Wiskowski

Diamond catapulted Burke into a jumping DDT by Tanaka to successfully defend their titles

AWA World Title match : Paul Orndorff © vs. Curt Hennig

Hennig won by countout when he knocked Orndorff out of the ring with the Ax Lariat. Orndorff retained his title.

AWA show from Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland , November 9th

Dan Spivey vs. Paul Diamond

Spivey won with the Big Leg Drop after interference by Mike Rotundo

William Regal vs. Jesse Barr

Regal was attempting a back suplex with Barr countered with a bulldog headlock for the victory

Rick Steiner vs. Pat Tanaka

Tanaka won with a rolling wheel kick

Tony Atlas vs. Greg Gagne

Atlas won with a running splash after interference by the rest of Onyx Express. This led to a brawl between Gagne & The Killer Bees and Onyx Express.

Lex Luger & Jerry Blackwell vs. Nick Bockwinkel & Sgt. Slaughter

Bockwinkel pinned Luger after a piledriver. Post-match, Bockwinkel got on the ringside mic and said that it was only a matter of time before Luger’s title would be his

AWA World Tag Title match : The British Bulldogs © vs. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Dynamite was going for a tombstone piledriver on Somers when Rose hit him from behind with a blackjack to the head and put Somers on top for the pinfall. Rose & Somers are the new AWA World Tag Team champions!

AWA Southern Title Match : Al Perez © vs. Don Muraco

Perez forced Muraco to give up to the Oriental Armlock

Hall and the Varsity Club is a nice feud. Elevates both sides and uses Foley to his best potential at this point. On the subject of rookies, there are a few rookies that I know were doing major stuff within a few months of debuting (Savio/TNT, Lightning Kid) but yeah, most were given plenty of time to develop.

Rushing this to get caught up ...

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN/TSN for November 15th

AWA World Tag Team Title match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. British Steel

Rose and Somers were about to spike piledrive Regal when the British Bulldogs rushed the ring and attacked them, leading to a DQ win for British Steel. Playboy After Dark then immediately high tailed it from the ring

Tony Atlas vs. Joe Dowdle

A straight up squash match with Atlas destroying Dowdle, forcing him to give up to the Full Nelson and then press slamming him after the match had ended.

The Great Kabuki vs. Kendo Nagasaki

Tojo Yamamoto jumped up on the ring apron and argued with Kabuki and the ref, sliding the kendo stick in to Nagasaki when the ref wasn’t looking. But when Nagasaki tried to sneak up on Kabuki, Kabuki immediately nailed him with a superkick to get the win.

Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Kevin Sullivan

Sullivan had Spivey with him at ringside. Part way through the match , Pvt. Mick Foley came out at ringside, looking incredibly disheveled and started raving and cackling at Spivey, who had no idea who to react. Hall was able to hit the Corporal Punishment on Sullivan to score the victory. He was clearly distressed over the condition of Foley as he coaxed him away from the ring.

AWA Southern Title match : Al Perez © vs. Killer Khan

Perez was in for the fight of his life as he did his best to keep Khan under control. The match ended by DQ when Khan sprayed the green mist in his face, then head butted the ref. Khan went up to the top rope to go for his deadly flying kneedrop, but Kabuki and Badd Company charged out to the ring and rescued Perez.

AWA Hercules Cortez Memorial Invitational Tag Team Tournament Night One from the Denver Auditorium, November 15th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Jacques & Armand Rougeau (courtesy of Lutte Internationale) vs. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

Rose pinned Armand after the Inside Out Backbreaker

The British Bulldogs vs. Mike Rotundo & Rick Steiner

Dynamite got the Flying Headbutt on Steiner for the victory

The Fabulous Freebirds (courtesy of WCCW) vs. British Steel

Gordy caught Regal in a belly to back suplex to get the pinfall

The Onyx Express vs. The Killer Bees

The Bees hit a double dropkick on Koko to advance in the tournament

Badd Company vs. Buzz Sawyer & Dave Schultz

Diamond rolled up Schultz with a flying sunset flip to score the win

The Midnight Express (courtesy of UWF) vs. Cpl. Scott Hall & Pvt. Mick Foley

Condrey executed a full nelson facebuster on Foley to move on in the tournament

Lord Humongous & Botswana Beast (courtesy of Lutte Internationale) vs. Killer Khan & Jerry Blackwell

A crazy, out of control brawl that only ended when Khan sprayed the green mist in the ref’s face, leading to his team being eliminated by DQ

The Road Warriors (courtesy of UWF) vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero

Animal caught Hector coming off the ropes with a powerslam to get the victory

AWA World Title Match : Paul Orndorff © vs. Curt Hennig

Orndorff won when Hennig tried to suplex him into the ring, only for Kevin Sullivan to trip him from outside the ring

AWA Hercules Cortez Memorial Invitational Tag Team Tournament Night Two from the Salt Palace, Salt Lake City, November 16th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Tournament Quarter-Finals

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. The British Bulldogs

The Bulldogs went at it fast and furious with Playboy After Dark, who ultimately bailed on the match and were counted out

The Fabulous Freebirds vs. The Killer Bees

The Freebirds spike piledrove Blair to eliminate them from the tournament

Badd Company vs. The Midnight Express

An incredibly exciting match that ended when Eaton countered a rollup by Diamond to get the victory for the Midnights

The Road Warriors vs. Lord Humongous & Botswana Beast

A hart hitting matchup with Hawk managing to catch Humongous with a top rope flying clothesline to score the win

Tournament Semi-Finals

The Fabulous Freebirds vs. The British Bulldogs

Hayes was going for a bulldog headlock on Dynamite, but Dynamite reversed it into a belly to back suplex to earn a place in the finals

The Road Warriors vs. The Midnight Express

Cornette tossed the tennis racket into the ring, but it was caught by Animal. The ref tried to take it away from Animal, who then backhanded the ref which led to a DQ

AWA Southern Title match : Al Perez © vs. Mike Rotundo

Perez forced Rotundo to give up to an Indian Deathlock

AWA American Title match : Lex Luger © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

While Bockwinkel was attempting a figure four, Luger grabbed a fistful of trunks and small packaged Nick to get the tainted victory

AWA Hercules Cortez Memorial Invitational Tag Team Tournament Finals : The British Bulldogs vs. The Midnight Express

After an exciting, epic match, Davey Boy press slammed Dynamite onto Eaton to win the tournament

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for November 22nd

Rick Steiner vs. Cpl. Scott Hall

Once again, an increasingly shaggy haired and unshaven Pvt. Mick Foley showed up at ringside and baffled everyone with his bizarre behaviour. Hall was able to hit a huge side slam on Steiner to get the win

Leo Burke vs. Pat Tanaka

Although Tanaka is primarily a tag wrestler, he proved he was more than able to hold his own in a singles bout with Burke. After an extremely competitive technical match, Tanaka caught Burke with a leaping forearm smash and score the pinfall. Both men shook hands after the match

The Onyx Express vs. British Steel

The Express pulled out every dirty trick in the book to keep the advantage over the younger team before finally executing the Spike Brainbuster on Smiley and taking the fall to end the match.

Greg Gagne & The Killer Bees vs. Mike Shaw, Buzz Sawyer & Dave Schultz

A back and forth match that ended when Shaw had pulled off the turnbuckle and trapped Gagne in the corner, going in for an avalanche, only for Gagne to dodge out of the way and send Shaw chest first into the exposed turnbuckle bolt. Gagne then hit a precision dropkick to score an upset pinfall on the big Shaw.

Lex Luger & Don Muraco vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero

The Guerreros kept the Syndicate on their toes throughout the match and Chavo landed a top rope flying somersault senton to pull out the victory and close out the show with another upset.

AWA show from the Mecca, Milwaukee, November 22nd (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

The Killer Bees vs. Buzz Sawyer & Dave Schultz

The Bees hit the Bee Stinger on Schultz for the win

Jesse Barr vs. Norman Smiley

Barr got the win after a bulldog headlock

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Kendo Nagasaki

Slaughter nailed Kendo with the Slaughter Cannon to score the victory

The Great Kabuki vs. Tojo Yamamoto

Kabuki pinned Tojo after a piledriver

Tony Atlas vs. Mando Guerrero

Atlas caught Mando coming off the ropes with a powerslam and got the win

AWA World Tag Title match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. The British Bulldogs

The champions were DQed after Rose hit the ref, but retained the titles

AWA World Title Match : Paul Orndorff © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

Both men went to a 60 minute time limit draw

AWA show from the International Amphitheater, Chicago, November 23rd

Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Dan Spivey

Both men were counted out while brawling outside the ring

Jerry Blackwell vs. Steven Regal

Blackwell pinned Regal after a powerslam

Hector Guerrero vs. Don Muraco

Hector caught Muraco in a cross body press to get the pinfall

The Great Kabuki vs. Bob Roop

Kabuki pinned Roop after catching him with a superkick

AWA Southern Title match : Al Perez © vs. Jesse Barr

Perez caught Barr in the German Suplex to defend his belt

AWA Southern Tag Title match : Badd Company © vs. The Onyx Express

Diamond catapulted Koko into a jumping DDT by Tanaka to get the victory for Badd Company

AWA American Title match : Lex Luger © vs. Chavo Guerrero

Chavo attempted a German Suplex, but Luger elbowed his way out then hit a running forearm smash to the head to score the win