Pro Wrestling Only

Top 100 Bret Hart Matches

Grimmas

"Brunzell didn’t get too many chances to show off how good he was in the AWA..."

Disagree with this, those watching the AWA knew how good he was and he had many many singles matches against a wide variety of opponents that proved that, including Nick Bockwinkel for several stirring one hour draws.
​He was a big loss for the AWA when he jumped because of his versatility as a wrestler and the years he built being a very credible singles wrestler.

The Bret list itself is a great read, thanks and looking forward to see where my favourite Bret match of all time finishes. :)

"Brunzell didn’t get too many chances to show off how good he was in the AWA..."

Disagree with this, those watching the AWA knew how good he was and he had many many singles matches against a wide variety of opponents that proved that, including Nick Bockwinkel for several stirring one hour draws.

​He was a big loss for the AWA when he jumped because of his versatility as a wrestler and the years he built being a very credible singles wrestler.

The Bret list itself is a great read, thanks and looking forward to see where my favourite Bret match of all time finishes. :)

Shit, what I meant was he didn't get to show in the WWF how great he was in the AWA too often!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Bit surprised to see the Sting match on there. When I saw it with the rest of the PPV I thought they were just sleep walking through the match. Maybe time for me to rewatch it?

Maybe or I was in a super great mood the day I watched that.. that's possible too. Also it may just had stood out while watching all the other WCW junk.

I enjoyed it enough though.

• 3 weeks later...

I like that you listed the Godwinn match. They also had a match the previous week on Superstars that was also good, although it ended with Lawler interference.

Also curious, in the writeup of the Undertaker match, you mentioned they had a stinker in 1996. I actually think that match from the Rumble is Bret's most underrated. Did you re-watch the match recently or were you going off memory?

Also curious, in the writeup of the Undertaker match, you mentioned they had a stinker in 1996. I actually think that match from the Rumble is Bret's most underrated. Did you re-watch the match recently or were you going off memory?

I rewatched a couple of years ago when I watched all the Rumble stuff to make that list. I'm not a fan of longer matches, and it felt really off too.

Man, that Hart Foundation vs Islanders Spectrum match really hit a sweet spot with me.

Anvil was such an effective heel in this one, stooging and stalling and backing off only to immediately start strutting around the moment the Foundation re-gained the advantage.

It's what I often feel is missing when I watch more recent, highly-pimped matches. I love when bad guys do bad guy things and faces get to shine... these teams do that stuff so well.

Also, is it my imagination or do the announcers mix up Haku and Tama throughout this thing?

I just realised that Hart Foundation/Islanders match is on the Dungeon Collection DVD set. Going to watch it now.

For Bret/Sting; they have a match on Nitro in October '99 that might be their best overall match. Gets to about 12 minutes before the inevitable interference.

Nicely done and my favourite Bret match has made the top 25 so I am happy (unless it isn't on the list at all in which case I will strenously object! :) )

Oh shit, what match? I hope I didn't make a HUGE error.

Haha I will let you know if it's there when the list is complete.

(If it isn't no worries it's subjective of course :) )

Expecting Roddy Piper to pop up. Also, more Austin, more Owen, A particular IYH match... more Perfect, a particular Bulldog match... Maybe Benoit??

The Piper and Austin WrestleMania matches and the IYH Team Austin vs Team Bret match would be my top 3, With the Owen WrestleMania match and the "other" Austin match rounding out my top 5.

I'm pretty sure your list will be different at the top, though.

I'm wondering if any Hart Foundation matches made the top 25.