Pro Wrestling Only

Top 100 Bret Hart Matches

Grimmas

This should be interesting. In my head, I counted about 15 locks and a total of 35 matches that could still conceivably make the list. So it'll be interesting which matches don't make the cut.

- I'll predict Austin will be the opponent with the most appearances in top 25 with 4, then Diesel with 3. Bulldog will have 4 appearances too but not all of them as an opponent.

- Highest rated regular tag match will be the Action Zone tag with Bret & Davey / Owen & Backlund.

- Top 3: Bret / Austin Survivor Series, Bret / Owen WrestleMania X, Bret / Austin WrestleMania 13, in that order.

This has been a fun ride. Trying to figure out the last 25 matches. I'm still missing a few. Predictions....

vs. Savage (SNME 11/87)

vs. Dibiase (SNME 4/91)?

vs. Perfect (Summerslam 91)

vs. Piper (WM 8)

vs. Bulldog (Summerslam 92)

vs. Perfect (KOTR 93)

w/ Owen vs. Steiners (January 1994)

vs. Owen (WM 10)

vs. Diesel (KOTR 94)

vs. Kid (Raw 7/94)

vs. Diesel (Royal Rumble 95)

w/ Bulldog vs. Owen & Backlund (Action Zone 2/95)

vs. Diesel (Survivor Series 95)

vs. Bulldog (IYH December 95)

vs. Austin (Survivor Series 96)

vs. Undertaker vs. Austin vs. Vader (IYH Final Four)

vs. Austin (Wrestlemania 13)

vs. Austin (IYH April 97)

Canadian Stampede 10 Man Tag

vs. Undertaker (One Night Only)

vs. Flair (WCW Souled Out 98)?

vs. Benoit (Nitro 10/99)

Another Benoit match or two?

Top 3....

1. vs. Austin (Wrestlemania 13)

2. vs. Owen (Wrestlemania 10)
3. Canadian Stampede 10 Man Tag

Nicely done. the Hart-Steamboat match is my all time favourite Bret match and I'm glad it made the top 25.

The thing that always stuck with me about that match is that Bret made me believe he could actually win that match. Considering it was Steamboat and he was as hot as he was, there is no way i should have reasonably believed Bret had a chance. And yet, thanks to both of them and the match they had, I did.

It was also probably the first time myself and many others took real notice of Bret in the ring, and his skillset. Just one of those matches that sticks because it catches you by surprise, and as a hardcore fan back then that was very hard to do.

Glad I didn't miss an obvious match, KHawk.

Yeah, what's even cooler about Bret feeling on the level with Steamboat is that he didn't really have a move that seemed like it could win the match.

Bret said that match was originally scheduled for WrestleMania 2, can you imagine?

I have not seen a load of these matches, but I was curious after reading the last part's "surprise list" - would you have Curt Hennig as Bret's #6 best opponent? Personally, I don't really see Flair in the top #5, so he's who I would swap out. Even at #6 I might go with the Bulldog over Flair. I just don't necessarily see the Souled Out match as being as good as you described it and Bret had some real undeniably strong matches with Davey Boy and Perfect. I'm not sure who else would round out a top 10, but that's kind of the brilliance of Bret too (that I'm sure you found in your viewing) - as a tag guy and then as WWE Champion, he worked with a ton of different guys on TV and PPV.

I have not seen a load of these matches, but I was curious after reading the last part's "surprise list" - would you have Curt Hennig as Bret's #6 best opponent? Personally, I don't really see Flair in the top #5, so he's who I would swap out. Even at #6 I might go with the Bulldog over Flair. I just don't necessarily see the Souled Out match as being as good as you described it and Bret had some real undeniably strong matches with Davey Boy and Perfect. I'm not sure who else would round out a top 10, but that's kind of the brilliance of Bret too (that I'm sure you found in your viewing) - as a tag guy and then as WWE Champion, he worked with a ton of different guys on TV and PPV.

I deleted the numbers, but I did it based on average the star ratings of the matches that made the top 100 and adding 1 point for each match. I think Bulldog or Perect might had been the next two.