Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #122 (November 15-21, 1989)

KrisZ

between-the-sheets-122.jpg

Kris & David are guestless this week as we discuss the week that was November 15-21, 1989. We talk about Paul E. Dangerously in multiple sections as he was flirting with WWF, ICW, & NWA. We also talk about the awesome 1989 Real World Tag League in All-Japan, some tremendous matches at Arena Mexico, the future of Continental, and a LOADED NWA section talking about New York Knockout and the future of the promotion through the eyes of Dave Meltzer. A tremendous show so listen now!!!

Timestamps:
0:00:00 WWF
0:27:35 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, Stampede, & EMLL
0:46:43 Classic Commercial Break
0:51:58 Housekeeping & The Amazon Game
1:14:51 Other USA: ICW, Great Lakes, GASW, PWF, CWF, CWA, USWA, AWA, & Portland
1:42:03 NWA

To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at https://patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!

You can also support the show by shopping with our Amazon referral link at https://tinyURL.com/BTSAmazon — Nothing extra comes out of your wallet, but Amazon gives us a kickback for referring you to them.

To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app’s directory, or you can also paste http://feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-122-november-15-21-1989/

I have a weird affinity for this time period. My affinity for the NWA during this period is not weird at all, since Flair/Funk is great, Luger is on fire as a heel, and the Midnight Express turn was so greatly done, but I have a weird affinity for WWF in November 1989.

I started watching the WWF when I was 10 years old in January 1990, so the first major event I watched was the Royal Rumble. But for years, I would go to the video store and look at whatever WWF videos were available and look at what the WWF events before I started watching were, because I always had a love of history, but there was no real internet to look these things up in 1990 (I am really showing my age here with my talk of video stores and no internet). So I'd look at the video tape for Survivor Series 1989 and see all of these guys on the tape, and I knew most of them because they were mostly still on WWF TV, but there were three guys on the tape I didn't know because they weren't on TV at that point, and I wasn't watching the NWA, and that was Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, and Barry Windham. I had read a WWF Magazine write up about The Widowmaker (back when I guess they thought he might come back after everything settled up with his dad and brother) but I had no idea who Arn and Tully were, and to make things weirder, they were the WWF tag team champions. I think I eventually convinced my mom to rent the tape, but even that didn't really solve everything, because Tully wasn't on the show. I started asking older people who used to team with Arn Anderson in the Brainbusters, and I think one of my Dad's friends even told me it was Ole Anderson, but eventually somebody corrected me and I figured out who Tully Blanchard was.

So that's my weird Survivor Series 1989 story. You used to have to do a lot of asking around to find out these weird random things in 1990.