Pro Wrestling Only

[2012-01-06-WWE-Smackdown] Daniel Bryan vs Big Show

Superstar Sleeze

World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan vs Big Show - Smackdown 1/6/12

The Yes Movement Begins!

There was a hilarious backstage segment the previous week where Daniel Bryan was just so proud of saving the Big Show from Mark Henry twice and Big Show was getting annoyed. Daniel Bryan says "You are annoyed. You have not even thanked me once." The way he said it and his facial expression made me laugh out loud. Big Show is nearly giddy at prospect of this World Championship match with Daniel Bryan. Daniel Bryan mocks him for losing the title in 45 seconds and then tells Big Show to get his hand off his shoulder. Big Show gets all pissy. Sorry brutha but if you are gonna dish it, you gotta be prepared to take it. Got no sympathy for Big Show.

Awesome match. Bryan is very cocky on his way down to the ring. Oh yeah I would be remiss not to mention Mark Henry standing up to Michael Cole is the best thing ever. Michael Cole says something about who would win Bryan vs Hornswoggle. Mark Henry just rips into him. Definitely check out. Show uses his size early throwing Bryan around at will and hitting those massive chops. Bryan gets some hope spots like the dropkick to the outside, but that's what they are just hope spots. Some great Big Show presses when Daniel Bryan tries to cover. Mark Henry cheering for both to lose is great. Bryan tries some aerial stuff from the top and Big Show swats him out of the sky with that massive chop. Bryan tries to build momentum using the ropes and Big Show hits a massive spear. I like how Bryan trying everything but has no answer for the size of the Big Show. Big Show is just crushing it. That is until Bryan gets a guillotine choke and transitions into a LeBell Lock. When Big Show winds up for the KO Punch, Bryan realizes he is fucked and retreats fearfully to the outside. He realizes those submissions were his best chance and so he has to get out of this match a different way. Bryan gets up in Mark Henry's face and Mark gives him a wicked shove. The ref reluctantly calls for a DQ. Bryan celebrates like he won the World Championship at the Main Event of WrestleMania complete with YES CHANTS! :D That is their birth. Well-structured match with Bryan trying everything he can think of until he gets himself disqualified to retain the championship. Big Show was great on offense for this. Really using his size well. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2012-01-06-WWE-Smackdown] Daniel Bryan vs Big Show
  • 6 months later...

Bryan always excels at making his larger opponents appear even more dangerous and he's entirely convincing at chopping them down when he needs. That transition spot when he switches his guillotine choke to the LeBell lock was sublime. He's one of the GOATs for sure. Speaking of GOATs, Mark Henry is providing commentary for this and he's a boss. I wouldn't want to get on Big Mark's bad side.

This holds up as a great TV title match that ended in cheap fashion, leaving the door open for further storyline progression. Excellent work from everyone evolved. 

★★★½