• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10576 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

Roman, just like Cena, will be cheered as long as he's not being pushed as the main focal point of the company and out of title contention. The minute they start ramping back up for the Lesnar Mania match it will be right back to square one.  The most hilarious timeline will be if the recent cheers convince the company they can get away with having Roman win the Rumble in Philly and be surprised at the outcome that will invaribly result from it.

#22 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

I actually think they might build to title vs title at Mania instead and put a Smackdown guy over at the Rumble. The way they've been hyping the prestige of the IC title and pimping Roman as a grand slam winner, fighting champion etc. makes me feel like they're laying the groundwork for him calling out Brock for not defending his title and saying he's the true top champion and so on.

#23 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4155 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

I'd love to see that discussion expanded in a thread some time. Although Taker was always heavily pushed and protected, I'm not sure that he was ever pushed above his overness in the way that HHH and HBK arguably were quite a bit. Crowds were always into him I thought.

I think you could make the case that until late 95/96 Shawn was *underpushed* in relation to how over he was. Obviously he was pushed strong from 96-98 and I would definitely agree there were lots of times he was pushed too strong post comeback. I always thought he should haven working with more undercard guys in those 8 years post back injury

#24 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2147 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

If the fans are determined not to accept Roman Reigns, WWE ought to take advantage and use it to potentially elevate Elias. A Roman/Elias title feud, with Shield vs. Elias/Dallas/Axel matches.

Roman has been treated predominantly as a babyface by crowds the last two weeks, especially in the Miz match. 

Agreed. But, last night was a much different story.

I'm not sure what you mean? Last night the Roman cheers and the "Let's Go Roman" chants were way louder than the boos and the "Roman Sucks" chants.

It sounded to me like Elias got a much bigger reaction, especially during the promo when he was calling Roman out. But, I only caught snippets of the actual match, since I was working. So, I'll take your word for it, if you say the crowd was much more for him.

#25 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1391 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

They even went along with the roar thing he does pre-spear. I loved that match.

#26 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4526 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

The anti Roman chants were clearly a small minority of just dudes. Dudes who are awful and probably havent seen their dicks or Adams apples since they were 12.

#27 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2213 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

I think that The Shield reunion also helped Roman with the fans recently. You don't nearly see the kind of reaction he had ever since he's back with Seth & Dean. I'm curious to know how long they're gonna stretch the Shield reunion in hopes to keep Roman's crowd reaction the way it is right now.

#28 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

I think that The Shield reunion also helped Roman with the fans recently. You don't nearly see the kind of reaction he had ever since he's back with Seth & Dean. I'm curious to know how long they're gonna stretch the Shield reunion in hopes to keep Roman's crowd reaction the way it is right now.

I think they should jest keep them loosely affiliated where they have six mans in Raw now and again and the occasional group feud but let them get on with their own singles stuff too

#29 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43576 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

I actually think they might build to title vs title at Mania instead and put a Smackdown guy over at the Rumble. The way they've been hyping the prestige of the IC title and pimping Roman as a grand slam winner, fighting champion etc. makes me feel like they're laying the groundwork for him calling out Brock for not defending his title and saying he's the true top champion and so on.

I really like this thinking. Roman is the fighting champion, Brock is the spoiled and overpaid champion who can't be bothered to show up. If anything is going to work, that stands a really good chance. Maybe they try to get Roman in the ring at some point with pretty much everyone on Raw between now and Wrestlemania.

#30 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43576 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

The anti Roman chants were clearly a small minority of just dudes. Dudes who are awful and probably havent seen their dicks or Adams apples since they were 12.

Be nice.

#31 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5199 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Unwitting self-parody is often my favorite.  

Elsewhere, I missed Smackdown last night but hope to catch it this evening.  Apparently no chatter about it here -- anything solid on the show?

#32 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10576 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Ruby's Lady Shield team is now called the Riott Squad because WWE gonna WWE and has to change her name to Ruby Riott.

#33 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I really like this thinking. Roman is the fighting champion, Brock is the spoiled and overpaid champion who can't be bothered to show up. If anything is going to work, that stands a really good chance. Maybe they try to get Roman in the ring at some point with pretty much everyone on Raw between now and Wrestlemania.

I would like lots of the more unheralded guys to get a showcase TV match with Roman in the coming weeks. The only issue is that Raw's midcard really is quite shallow when you look at the names there. Unless Matt Hardy and his own Shield partners get a shot against him there aren't many guys to go through in comparison to when Cena was doing the US challenge gimmick.

All those guys like Ryback, Cody, Swagger and Barrett leaving in and around the time of the brand split has left a bit of a gap.

#34 Kadaveri

Kadaveri
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

They'd have plenty of guys to wrestle Roman on TV if they un-separated the cruiserweight division. Bring on Roman vs. Akira Tozawa or Cedric Alexander.

#35 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43576 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

They shouldn't beat it into the ground, but top heavy vs top cruiser is definitely something they should do here and there, as long as they present it as competitive and a big deal. 

#36 cowboy hats

cowboy hats
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

Maybe it’s been back for a while now and I didn’t notice, but...Randy Orton has hair again???

#37 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2213 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

Ruby's Lady Shield team is now called the Riott Squad because WWE gonna WWE and has to change her name to Ruby Riott.

Actually, I saw this pop online and it has to do with a series of books called the Ruby Riot Series.

#38 Kadaveri

Kadaveri
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:13 AM

My guess is there's a punk band called "Riot Squad" so WWE adding that extra T means they can use that stable name without issues.

#39 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10576 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

I figured it was for copyright reasons, but shes been using the name in NXT for a while so its funny they just realized this now.

#40 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43576 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

Every time they do something like this, it makes me wonder why one of the indies hasn't introduced a Vynce McMann.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users