WWE 27 November - 3 December 2017

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Would have certainly thought TNA would try!

#42 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4405 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

Apparently WWE has released Jim Johnston

https://twitter.com/ThemeTitan_

this is s shocker if true.  Pretty sure he's been with the company since the mid 80s

#43 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

I figured he was just a consultant. I didn't realize he was an in-house employee.

#44 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3080 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

Maybe they wanted to avoid confusion with Fit Finlay's Riot Squad.

#45 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

I was under the impression he was still working with them under WWE Studios.

#46 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

this is s shocker if true.  Pretty sure he's been with the company since the mid 80s

Wonder what will happen when Vince wakes up one day and realizes all his guys were replaced by HHH guys . 

I've long theorized Hunter's long game was to basically do a bloodless coup. Vince is wrestling's Queen Elizabeth and will probably live forever at this rate, I don't see HHH settling for being the Prince Charles of sports entertainment.

#47 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

Those CFOS themes have got so damn samey as well. Every single one has these huge awkward pauses in the music.

#48 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

Wonder what will happen when Vince wakes up one day and realizes all his guys were replaced by HHH guys . 

I've long theorized Hunter's long game was to basically do a bloodless coup. Vince is wrestling's Queen Elizabeth and will probably live forever at this rate, I don't see HHH settling for being the Prince Charles of sports entertainment.

Come on Vince isn't being outmaneuvered in his own company until he's like 95.

#49 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Come on Vince isn't being outmaneuvered in his own company until he's like 95.

I used to think that too, but I see the chess pieces being put in place. He's got an entire ecosystem built in Orlando to replace all but the highest levels, so bit by bit everyone will end up an HHH Guy.

#50 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

I remember listening to a Prichard podcast (I can't remember which one, I want to say the Vader themed episode but I might be wrong) where he claimed Jim Johnston could be a bit of a pain to deal with sometimes.  As I recall, Prichard claimed that Johnston would get criticized for his music sounding too "samey" and that he didn't take feedback particularly well when he was asked to go back and change something.  Then again, this is Bruce Prichard.  He himself freely admits that he had such a terrible relationship with all of the production people that it ended up getting him fired in 1991, so he might not be the best source.

#51 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Of course every artist has a sound and range. Its what makes them--THEM. Its a gift and a curse. Jim is hands down a legend in this business and if he is hanging it up, good for him. He has made a ton of money, had worldwide exposure, and is one of the key figures behind WWE selling 7 million (give or take) in original singles and albums (pre CFO). He is the John Williams of pro wrestling. Jim being one of the first 'behind the scenes' figures to be inducted into the WWE HOF makes way too much sense for it not to happen.

#52 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

He is the John Williams of pro wrestling.

Very true, and a double-edge sword compliment if there ever was one. ;)

As far as being samey, Prichard told the story of Vince loving the Bam Bam Bigelow theme (the face one I believe) and that basically every theme sounded like Bam Bam's for a while because Johnston wanted to please Vince.

I have no idea when Johnston stopped doing the music, but to me the number of really fun and memorable themes just dropped insanely low when they got into the 00's, with a shitload of generic neo-metal shit stuff. I guess I'm a sucker for the old-school, more "gimmicky" stuff.

#53 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

How is Jim Johnston like jdw? :)

#54 Stiva

Stiva
  • Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

It's beginning...I wonder how far this can run in WWE. I can see Broken Matt Hardy as Smackdown champ.

#55 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1855 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

It's beginning...I wonder how far this can run in WWE. I can see Broken Matt Hardy as Smackdown champ.

I’d have to think at least until after 75,000 people yell “delete!” at Wrestlemania.

#56 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 3530 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

Titus vs Samoa Joe was an AWESOME 5 minute hard hitting match. Why did they give up on Titus?

#57 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

The main reason is that he exposed Vince McMahon as a frail old man. The secondary reason I think is that I don't think I've ever seen a crowd react to him in the slightest.

#58 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7475 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

The main reason is that he exposed Vince McMahon as a frail old man. The secondary reason I think is that I don't think I've ever seen a crowd react to him in the slightest.

You must have not been paying attention at all in 2013 then because as part of the Prime Time Players he looked like he was ready to break out as a big time singles babyface. The crowd was always into his hot tags and doing his pose and HURRAH HURRAHS along with him.

#59 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, Titus definitely had potential. Great and unique look, very good hot tag, loads of charisma, won Celebrity Dad of the Year in 2015. They've pushed guys with less talent further and, lo and behold, some of them eventually put the pieces together and became pretty good. Titus was definitely a lost opportunity for the company over something really stupid.

#60 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

Man, you guys must be seeing something I can't.  I've always looked at him as a guy who is pretty much where he should be in his career, hovering on the fringes of the mid-card. I admittedly didn't see the match with Joe from last week, but I generally find O'Neil to be quite boring - his matches unremarkable at best, and his promos can be cringe-worthy. Some of that you can write off as WWE scripting promos, but still. I still don't know exactly what the mythical "it" is that wrestling insiders go on about, but whatever "it" is....Titus O'Neil doesn't have it, in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users