Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-07-MCW-TV] Spanky vs American Dragon

soup23

A good long match between these two. Alkie is dreadful on commentary and they push the evening gown match later on in the show more than the nuiances of the match. Spanky is much more flashy and he mostly hits here. He even does a really unique pin attempt off of an Irish whip. Dragon works as the heel and is more vicious when on top and getting after the referee for a slow count. Spanky mounts a comeback and hits a really good missile dropkick for a nearfall. Dragon is resilient and the finale of the match is a good bit of back and forth with Spanky being able to hit a tornado DDT and huge splash for the win. Perfectly good professional wrestling and these two continue to develop into damn good workers. ***1/4 (6.5)

• 1 month later...

I thought this was OK, but nothing special. Their August match was very good, this was a sloppier and Spanky went back to looking flimsy at some points and his execution a lot of time didn't look as crisp as it did in the aforementioned match. Danielson was good working as a heel again however.

• 3 months later...

I keep reading the reviews of Dragon's matches waiting for them to get another long showcase, and I'm glad it finally comes here.

I like the fluidity of the opening matwork. They keep up a pretty nice pace, which feels plausible because the moves are pretty low impact. They slow it down a bit once Dragon hits the big reverse suplex. Dragon bows at one point before a low dropkick, which was odd. There's a very cool spot where Dragon tries to knock Spanky off the top rope and Spanky leaps to avoid it and lands cleanly, still on the ropes. This never seems to fully take off, although it's sort of impressive for them at this point that they can have a nice match without emptying the arsenal - big area of improvement over the course of the year.

• 2 months later...

This may have been my favorite match of theirs yet. Nice, fluid mat work early leading to Spanky getting the better of it with his speed and some real nice agile spots to take over. Dragon's transition to offense with a big reverse suplex felt like a solid way to strongly change the complexion of the match.

Dragon showed a real nice vicious side on offense and they do display some cool ideas. Spanky jumping on the top rope to avoid Dragon was neat but ultimately felt out of place, like they tried to shoehorn it in here. The finishing run gets going real good and they really build strongly to Spanky's big splash ending things.

***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-07-MCW-TV] Spanky vs American Dragon