Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-08-Michinoku Pro] Great Sasuke vs Naomichi Marufuji

soup23

A really good match and a testament to how good Sasuke is when he wants to be. Marufuji also exuded a ton of confidence and didn’t rely on annoying traits that will creep in throughout his career. Sasuke hit the perfect balance of making the up and comer look competent while still being the established star. The first really good match of Marufuji’s career. ***3/4 (7.4)

• 3 months later...

This was pretty fun, with a good back-and-forth to open, neither man gaining the advantage. Then they start picking up speed, getting a little flashier -- Marufuji hitting an Asai moonsault and Sasuke a no hands somersault plancha to the outside. I liked the nearfalls off of some of the cradles and roll-ups, which instilled a little hope that Marufuji could pull off the win. He's able to deliver the Shiranui but it's not enough and after missing a splash, Sasuke puts him away with the awesome Thunder Fire Powerbomb.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Sasuke still exists. This was a decent match held together by some solid grappling from Sasuke and steady transition work. It was a bit soft for my tastes but neither guy fits the mold of the type of wrestler I like. Marufuji never felt like a threat, which put a cap on how exciting the match was. But it was a well-worked bout from a technical standpoint and had a nice flow to it. I was kind of looking for a blow away veteran performance from Sasuke but I think I was expecting a bit too much from what was really a guest spot from Marufuji.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-08-Michinoku Pro] Great Sasuke vs Naomichi Marufuji
  • 1 year later...