Pro Wrestling Only

[2006-01-14-ROH-Hell Freezes Over] A.J. Styles vs Matt Sydal

JKWebb

This is a fun display of athleticism. It starts off as a faced paced battle back and forth, and the only time it really slows down for a little bit is when AJ takes the advantage. He hits a sick Canadian Brainbuster onto Sydal on the outside ring apron. Later in the match Sydal hits a crazy moonsault onto AJ in the crowd. There are lots of cool and creative spots in this. I would say it's fun, but not a great match. It's pretty fast moving and I think the finishing spot looked neat, but didn't feel like a finish. I wasn't exactly sure who was hurting who until AJ rolled through for the pin. Overall, it's entertaining.

• GSR changed the title to [2006-01-14-ROH-Hell Freezes Over] A.J. Styles vs Matt Sydal
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Definitely one of the top matches that Matt Sydal has ever had. They tell a great underdog story throughout, and as they do that, they even play up to the size difference in some nice, subtle ways. Styles is just wonderfully NASTY all the way through, and Sydal sure knows how to take a beating in compelling fashion. Love the finish too -- it in some ways perfectly sums the match up imo; at first Sydal looks to do something BIG from the top, but AJ easily counters that into the Styles Clash set-up, which Sydal counters w/ that ultimate rana, from which Styles rolls through to get the pin. Sydal busted out some fantastic counters throughout, but just like in that finish, Styles was one step ahead the entire time. ****