Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-14-AJPW-October Giant Series] Toshiaki Kawada vs Steve Williams

soup23

This won't make you forget about the Carny 94 final but it is a fun match with about 5 out of 12 minutes clipped. Williams is at least aware of his limitations and takes a much more calculated approach to his matches in 2000 and allowing for his taped up ribs and other vulnerabilities to be worked over. As a tournament match, this also worked as Kawada had to get past a big gatekeeper type that had lost a step on his road to the finals. I think I can find a spot for Dr. Death on my top 100 workers of 2000 and Kawada is building up his case for a top 10 finish towards the end stretch of the year. *** (6)

I'm loving the Kobashi vs Akiyama feud right now so much, it is going to be tough for Toshiaki even though I know some stuff like the 12/14 tag was MOTDC last time I watched. All three have had tremendous years in 2000. Kawada's is kind of a slow burn for me that gets much better after the split but he also has some sneaky stuff like those No Fear tags in the first half.

• 7 months later...

Solid match with commendable performances but Williams didn't have a ton of ideas on offense.  Of course his limitations were what they were, but it didn't make for very enthralling work considering he took most of the match that wasn't clipped here.  Kawada is very subdued and understated here and that was actually a nice antidote to excess.  The finish felt sudden but in in a good way as Kawada counters some strikes and puts Williams down with an enziguiri.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-14-AJPW-October Giant Series] Toshiaki Kawada vs Steve Williams
  • 1 month later...