Pro Wrestling Only

AWA results for December 1985

rainmakerrtv

I have a great appreciation for the talent development... especially after what you've picked up in the draft. I know that it takes time and effort to put a younger talent on the map and you've done that better than any of us. When we have an outside reader come in, it can sometimes ruffle feathers... but always remember that when WWF bought WCW... they lost almost half of the wrestling viewership in the country and it still has yet to come back. We sometimes write for the reader but I know I personally write what I feel is best. Keep doing the work your doing and distinguishing yourself from the rest of us.

I actually like how Rain works in his younger guys. Like I said with Steamboat feuding with Steiner. You think a guy like Steiner wouldn't be taking loads of advice from Steamboat, an amateur wrestling based guy who made good? To me that's the perfect pairing to let Steamer do his thing and Steiner learn from the master. It's stuff like that I can really appreciate about Rain's booking.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for December 20th

Buddy Rose vs. Chavo Guerrero

If the Playboy’s ego seemed out of control before, he has been especially full of himself since he and Doug Somers won the World Tag Titles. He came out in his full swagger for this singles match, with both Somers and title belt in tow, while Chavo, perhaps sensing potential shenanigans, had both of his brothers at his side. Rose’s ego possibly took a bit of a bruising throughout this match, as his failure to take Chavo seriously let to Guerrero catching him off guards with big moves and takedowns. Chavo even went up to the top turnbuckle to potentially hit a devastating move , but Doug Somers made his presence felt by swatting at him from the outside. This led to Mando charging over to intercept him and, while the ref was distracted by all of this, Hector quickly dashed into the ring and clipped Rose’s leg from behind. Chavo then came off the top with a flying somersault senton and got the one two three. The crowd cheered the victory over the hated Playboy, but were puzzled by the questionable tactics by the brothers.

British Steel vs. Robb Zbacnic & Jed Hildebrand

After the interference in their last match by a mysterious masked man, Regal and Smiley seemed particularly wary in this match. When one of them was in the ring, the other would be anxiously looking around the ringside area for any interlopers. No interference was forthcoming, and the swiftly dealt with Zbacnic and Hildebrand when Smiley forced Zbacnic to give up to the Norman Conquest. An otherwise uneventful match, but how long before the masked man makes his presence felt again?

Mike Shaw vs. Jim Brunzell

With the big loser leaves town match coming up at Super Clash, the big “Tank” looked set to do as much damage as he could to Brunzell to give his team the advantage. He pummeled Brunzell with big blows and slams, while the Killer Bee kept in the match with his usualy fast paced moves and precision dropkicks. Brunzell went one step too far when he tried to take Shaw down with a running cross body, only to be caught and brought down with a massive power slam. One running splash later and Shaw got the victory. He tried for another running splash after the final count, but Brunzell rolled out of the way just in time.

Interview : Ken Resnick stands in the ring

Resnick : Ladies and gentlemen, my next guest has been the centre of controversy ever since his recent arrival in the AWA … Jake “The Snake” Roberts!

The crowd response is a mixture of cheers and boos as Roberts comes out, paying no heed to the fans. He is accompanied by Nord the Barbarian, who strides impassively beside him, and Mick Foley, whose eyes dart around the audience as he scuttles along to the ring, clad in his new black and leopard-print ring gear.

Resnick : Jake Roberts, ever since you showed up in the AWA, nobody has any idea where you are coming from. First you provide distraction in Mick Foley’s match, leading to him losing to the Varsity Club. Then you end up attacking the Varsity Club … and now seem to have lured Pvt. Foley away from the Cobra Corps. Where are you coming from?

Roberts : No one knows where a snake is coming from, Resnick. That’s what makes us so dangerous. Sullivan thinks of himself as the deadliest man in the AWA. Well I am going to remind him, every chance I get, nothing is deadlier than the snake. We are the agents of chaos, and nobody know where we will show up next.

Resnick : But your recent actions put you at odds with both the Varsity Club and the Cobra Corps, two groups that could only agree on how much they hate each other. Just whose side are you on?

Roberts : (slyly grinning) The same side I’m always on, Resnick. The winning side.

There is a commotion in the audience as Sgt. Slaughter and Cpl. Scott Hall head out to the ring. Hall looks so distraught he can barely talk, while Sarge is quite clearly livid.

Sarge : Now you listen here, maggot! I don’t know what you have done with Pvt. Foley, but he is part of the Cobra Corps and he belongs with us! You let him loose from whatever hold you have on him and return him to us, right now! That’s an order!

Roberts : (chuckling) Hey, cool out, my man. I never had any issue with you. But take a good look at my friend here and see that he has no place with you. You did your best, but he is just not a rank and file type of individual. He belongs with others like him. We can give him the guidance to help him become what he was meant to be. And he doesn’t go anywhere he doesn’t choose to.

Sarge : (pleadingly) Private Foley … Mick … please …

Foley grabs the microphone from him and stares Sarge straight in the eyes.

Foley : My name … is CACTUS …. JACK!!!!

Roberts, Nord and Foley … errr … Cactus Jack depart the ring, leaving Sarge and Hall behind them, crestfallen.

AWA Southern Title match : Al Perez © vs. Bob Roop

Perez is staring down the barrel of a match against the terrifying Killer Khan, a match where not only is his title but his AWA career is on the line. With that in mind, he was clearly in no mood to trifle with Roop, shocking the veteran with a devastating series of slams and suplexes. It was clearly not enough for him to pin Roop, as he went after his leg with multiple takedowns and stretches before wrapping him up in an Indian Leglock, keeping him there long after Roop gave up and evidinently doing much damage to the leg. Perez is sending a message to Khan that he is not intimidated.

Ricky Steamboat vs. Kevin Sullivan

Steamboat is angling to get back at the World Champion, Paul Orndorff, but the Varsity Club are doing everything the can to block him in his attempts. Steamboat kept the upper hand through much of the match, but was kept from scoring the decisive victory when Rick Steiner, still smarting from his defeat last week, rushed out to the ring and attacked Steamboat, leading to the DQ. Steiner and Sullivan kept slugging it out with Steamboat until Nick Bockwinkel ran out and he and Steamboat ran them off. Steamboat then swore that he would get to Orndorff, even if he had to run off everybody in the Varsity Club in order to do it.

AWA show from the Mecca, Milwaukee, December 20th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Dan Spivey & Mike Rotundo vs. Jake Roberts & Nord the Barbarian

This match ended in a double DQ with both teams brawling

The Killer Bees vs. Col. Buck Robley & Dave Schultz

The Bees hit the Bee Stinger on Robley for the victory

Cpl. Scott Hall vs. Killer Khan

Khan pinned Hall after a running knee drop. Khan then went up top for the flying knee drop, but Sgt. Slaughter rushed to the ring and pulled Hall out in time

AWA World Tag Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero

Rose blindsided Hector with a blackjack then executed the Inside Out Backbreaker to score the tainted victory

AWA Southern Title Match : Al Perez © vs. Tojo Yamamoto

Perez forced Tojo to give up to the Indian Deathlock to defend his title. After the match, Killer Khan came out and attacked Perez, but AWA officials separated the two

Ricky Steamboat & Sgt. Slaughter vs. Kevin Sullivan & Rick Steiner

Steamboat caught Sullivan with a running crossbody to get the win

AWA World Title Match : Paul Orndorff © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

Bockwinkel won by DQ when he was attacked by the Varsity Club. Orndorff retained the World Title

AWA show from the International Amphitheater, Chicago, December 21st

Jim Brunzell vs. Jerry Blackwell

Blackwell pinned Brunzell with a side slam

British Steel vs. The Onyx Express

Onyx Express won when the masked man snuck in the ring and knocked out Regal with a thrust kick to the jaw

Mando Guerrero vs. Leo Burke

Mando hit the German Suplex for the victory

Dusty Rhodes vs. Ed Wiskowski

Rhodes won with the Bionic Elbow Drop

Fall Count Anywhere : Kendo Nagasaki vs. The Great Kabuki

Kabuki executed three piledrivers in the middle of the audience to get a bloody win in a chaotic match

AWA Southern Tag Team Title match : Badd Company © vs. Buzz Sawyer & Jesse Barr

Both teams went to a 20 minute time limit draw

AWA American Title Match : Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Tony Atlas

Atlas was going for a Full Nelson, but Bockwinkel countered with a small package to successfully defend his title