Pro Wrestling Only

Mixed Match Challenge

Flyin' Brian

Was interested in what the rest of you thought about this. It seems...weird, is the only word I can find to describe it. It almost seems like it would have been better to have made it some type of challenge thing with events like a reality show instead of intergender tag matches.

FACEBOOK AND WWE® LAUNCH

LIVE IN-RING SERIES ON FACEBOOK WATCH

STAMFORD, Conn., December 13, 2017 – Facebook and WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced a new in-ring series, Mixed Match Challenge™, that will stream live in the U.S. exclusively on Facebook on Tuesday nights beginning January 16 at 10 p.m. ET. The 12-episode series will air on Facebook Watch and feature WWE Superstars from both the Raw® and SmackDown® Live rosters competing in a single-elimination mixed tag-team tournament to win $100,000 to support the charity of their choice.

Each 20-minute episode will reflect a progressive approach to production, with elements optimized for mobile consumption, experimentation and social interaction. In addition, fans will have the opportunity to select match-ups, match stipulations and more, on Facebook.

“As we continue to expand our strategic partnership with Facebook, this new series, Mixed Match Challenge, jointly reflects our innovative approach to content distribution and fan engagement,” said Michelle Wilson, WWE Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer. “This show will deliver the action and excitement our passionate fan base is accustomed to while offering new production elements and social experiences that only Facebook can provide.”

“As a leader in entertainment innovation, WWE is an ideal partner to demonstrate how the live sports viewing experience can be reimagined on Facebook Watch,” said Dan Reed, Facebook Head of Global Sports Partnerships. “Mixed Match Challenge is a new competition produced specifically to take advantage of the reach, interaction and ongoing engagement enabled by our platform. Fans will be able to directly influence and interact with the in-ring action, follow the rivalries and storylines in between events, and connect with one another as the drama unfolds. We're excited for the WWE community to come together on our platform to watch some of the biggest Raw and SmackDown LiveSuperstars, and engage with WWE like never before.”

“Mixed Match Challenge demonstrates WWE’s flexibility in creating and producing compelling content across platforms in a media landscape that is evolving each day,” said Jayar Donlan, WWE Executive Vice President, Digital & Social Content. “The social interaction leading up to and during each show will connect WWE Superstars with our massive fan base on Facebook in more ways than ever before.”

Mixed Match Challenge Participants

Mixed Match Challenge is a Raw vs. SmackDown Live tournament, where male and female Superstars team up to determine which combination of strength, skill, athleticism and experience reigns supreme.

Fans will have the opportunity to vote on Facebook for the final competitor from the Raw roster, as well as which tag team member of The New Day will be added to the SmackDown Live roster. Teams will be announced beginning Thursday, January 4.

Alexa Bliss™

Becky Lynch®

Alicia Fox®

Bobby Roode™

Asuka™

Carmella™

Bayley™

Charlotte Flair®

Braun Strowman®

Jimmy Uso™

Enzo Amore™

Lana®

Finn Bálor®

Naomi®

Goldust®

Natalya®

Nia Jax™

Rusev®

Sasha Banks®

Sami Zayn®

The Miz®

Shinsuke Nakamura®

Final Fan Vote

Final Fan Vote

(A member of The New Day)

The unique storylines for Mixed Match Challenge will continue between episodes across WWE’s Facebook Pages with short-form videos and social content. WWE will also promote the series across its extensive digital and social footprint, including a new Facebook Watch show Page dedicated to Mixed Match Challenge. A promotional trailer for the show can be watched here. https://www.facebook.com/WWEMixedMatchChallenge/videos/133297540783662/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minute episodes don't fill me with much confidence of some good matches coming from this. Unless it's one 10 minute match a show and then whatever social bullshit they frame it with taking up the other 10? I'm all for a Braun/Asuka team running through everyone in a series of 4 minute sprints though.

The WWE corporate managerial talk is making me want to vomit already. Who wants to read that kind of shit ? The pseudo-interactive stuff is beyond played out. The idea of a mixed tournament was kinda intriguing, the way it's presented is completely yawn inducing. That company... can't wait for that Kane main-event at Rumble...

The WWE corporate managerial talk is making me want to vomit already. Who wants to read that kind of shit ? The pseudo-interactive stuff is beyond played out. The idea of a mixed tournament was kinda intriguing, the way it's presented is completely yawn inducing. That company... can't wait for that Kane main-event at Rumble...

Yeah, sorry, I copied and pasted the press release for those that might not have known what it was. The interactive stuff when you know it's all worked is ridiculous at this point. As is the donation to charity at the end for the winner of said work.

No problem, it's interesting they have actual press release that reads like *this*. Says a lot about the promotion and why people on their TV speak like they do.

The whole "Facebook-only" concept is idiotic. Social network bullshit. It could have been a cool concept as a one-off holiday show for instance.

No problem, it's interesting they have actual press release that reads like *this*. Says a lot about the promotion and why people on their TV speak like they do.

The whole "Facebook-only" concept is idiotic. Social network bullshit. It could have been a cool concept as a one-off holiday show for instance.

You get a ton of press releases from major companies that sound like that so I can't blame them too much. Check out any EA press release that manages to stretch 3 sentences into 10 through overly convoluted marketing spiel and their attempts to get across their "brand values". I don't think their silly way of saying "We want to diversify to maximise our profit streams" necessarily crosses over into "WWE Universe" since it's something all companies do in press releases like this. The fact that Vince thinks this way of speaking translates into actual dialogue that human beings speak reflects badly on him rather than something that was probably drafted by some office worker somewhere. I imagine Facebook's press release for this is just as cringe-inducing.

The terminology is nausea-inducing. It's a legitimate eyesore just trying to read that verbose, pretentious logjam of words that ultimately say nothing in the wordiest way possible.

I realize that's more of a "this is the world we live in today" issue than it is strictly a WWE issue, but yeah. Just really off-putting and not at all how human beings actually communicate or even interpret information in actual reality.

• 3 weeks later...

They would be so adorable together as babyfaces. Come on, Rusev wins Rumble. Rusev crushes Brock Lesnar and celebrates with Ravishing Russian Lana at Mania. Let's have something that the audience would actually love, for a change.

They definitely could've had a later stage Savage and Elizabeth vibe about them as a beloved couple

Also, have I missed some sort of bracket for this thing? There's 12 teams, so 6 first round matches... and then 2 three way semifinals? A three way final?

There will be four teams in the semifinals. The three that advance and one second chance team selected by fan vote (although not sure if it's from all of the eliminated teams or just those eliminated in the quarterfinals).

Also, have I missed some sort of bracket for this thing? There's 12 teams, so 6 first round matches... and then 2 three way semifinals? A three way final?

There will be four teams in the semifinals. The three that advance and one second chance team selected by fan vote (although not sure if it's from all of the eliminated teams or just those eliminated in the quarterfinals).

That seems reasonable enough.