Pro Wrestling Only

The XFL is returning?

Grimmas

It's obvious the key this time around Vince hired actual football people to run things instead of having WWE people try to do both. You can tell things were drawn up by folks familiar with what football fans would accept and make changes based on that instead of being all sports-entertainery. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

It's obvious the key this time around Vince hired actual football people to run things instead of having WWE people try to do both. You can tell things were drawn up by folks familiar with what football fans would accept and make changes based on that instead of being all sports-entertainery. 

Yeah I don't recall him hiring a guy like Oliver Luck the first time around.

28 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

XFL is legit. We were meme'ing this to death but the first couple of days were actually damn good, and Vince outlasted the AAF just by virtue of patience. Wild.

AAF's problem was trying to beat XFL to the punch by starting their season a year or two too early. They were just not ready to handle all of the costs and issues that arose, as evident by them needing a billionaire to bail them out. And that guy may or may not have only bought the league for the technology they were using. Once he realized he couldn't make money off the patents for the tech, he closed the league almost immediately. Not exactly a story of triumph for the XFL.

Darren Rovell noted the XFL has already surpassed the AAF in ticket sale revenue. I tuned in for about fifteen minutes or so. I'm not a football fan but I was curious. The league came off professional. Using smaller soccer stadiums for some teams gave it better atmosphere and minimized empty seats. Honestly, if you can draw 10000-15000 a game you're not the NFL, but that's nothing to sneeze at. If they're on solid financial ground they can  build from this start. The only issue they face is that the NFL can poach players at will and they will need a good system to replenish talent.

On 2/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, sek69 said:

Exactly this.  To me, the biggest difference this time is I'm not seeing it being presented as some sideshow thing anywhere.  It's being presented as legit football this time.  Highlights were all over ESPN this weekend/Monday morning.  

It all make sense.  Late-90's/early-00's Vince was all about "pushing the envelope".  Now, he's all "putting smiles on face" and being "legit".  

5 hours ago, Al said:

Darren Rovell noted the XFL has already surpassed the AAF in ticket sale revenue. I tuned in for about fifteen minutes or so. I'm not a football fan but I was curious. The league came off professional. Using smaller soccer stadiums for some teams gave it better atmosphere and minimized empty seats. Honestly, if you can draw 10000-15000 a game you're not the NFL, but that's nothing to sneeze at. If they're on solid financial ground they can  build from this start. The only issue they face is that the NFL can poach players at will and they will need a good system to replenish talent.

It could actually be more dangerous for the CFL than anything. If the NFL poaches players from the XFL left and right, the XFL will compete with the CFL to grab the same undrafted, late drafted or cut players from the NFL. Of course, the CFL's got longevity going for them and they probably are in the same brackets when it comes to salary caps and such. So eventually, this could force the CFL to rely more than ever on Canadian players rather than a mix of American & Canadian players.

Considering the drop off in the NFL from the top level QBs to everyone else is probably bigger than it's been in a while, it's really noticeable that the QBs in the XFL so far have been extremely Not Good.  It's not like they can do anything about it, they get who they can get, but it's something I've noticed so far.

The games have generally been pretty decent so far. There's been some stinkers, but you get that in any football league, even the NFL.  Considering the TV landscape and ratings expectations are very different now compared to the original XFL launch, this actually might end up having some staying power. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yep.

"Currently, the XFL will not be playing its regular-season games. However, all players will be paid their base pay and benefits for the 2020 regular season. All XFL ticket holders will be issued refunds or credit toward future games. The XFL is committed to playing a full season in 2021 and future years."

https://www.xfl.com/en-US/articles/xfl-statement

Too bad really, this version of the XFL was actually run pretty decently and was producing some entertaining games. It was like the football version of a higher tier indy. You weren't getting the star power of the big leagues but it was still pretty fun to watch. 

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

league is officially RIP now i guess?

wonder if the positive reception will make Vince try it a 3rd time...

I’m more concerned with if it’s because they know something, or it’s not cost effective to run blindly that they ceased operations and terminated all employment contracts.

58 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

I’m more concerned with if it’s because they know something, or it’s not cost effective to run blindly that they ceased operations and terminated all employment contracts.

I don't think it's a secret that the idea of live sports is extremely pessimistic at least the rest of the year. The XFL probably lost a huge chunk of ticket revenue this year and selling season tickets into next season is impossible. 

Vince isn't much of a sympathetic figure. But to build something like this, plan it out only to have it ripped out through no fault of your own must be extraordinarily frustrating. But then quite a few people in our country are facing difficulties at the moment.