Hulk Hogan comes to mind.

Kurt Angle too.

#42 gordi

gordi
  • Members
  • 1443 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Angle is an excellent example.

I think Mutoh is up there with him. Both are guys whose athleticism and charisma are so clearly apparent and some people just love them... but both have pretty clear flaws as well, and their detractors seem driven to exaggerate and magnify those flaws beyond all reason, like as in neither of those guys have ever done a single little thing correct or sold believeably for even a moment at any time in their entire careers type sheer visceral hatred.

I think that Sayama, Jericho, Angle, and Mutoh would be a pretty good "divisive guys" stable. They could work as heels and faces simultaneously.

#43 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4887 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

I think what impresses me most about Mutoh is how smart he was with his physical decline. To completely reinvent yourself inring and look wise to adjust for age is really an underappreciated journey that he took.

#44 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43576 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

Muto is awesome, and I've never understood the critiques of him at all, other than his tendencies to sometimes dog it on small shows. But the same is true of Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and plenty of other high-level guys.

#45 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9004 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

I'd drop Mutoh in the "underrated" crowd, honestly. Despite the bad tendencies and goofiness, always been a Keiji Mutoh/Great Muta fan. 

other than his tendencies to sometimes dog it on small shows.

He has his share of infamous "Grumpy Mutoh" performances where he lays an egg in the middle of the ring. This include the famous job-to-Takada match at the 04/01/96 Dome show. I find him oddly endearing in his absolute lack of giving-a-fuck- in these.

#46 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9338 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Takada sort of resembles that remark as well, at least here.

#47 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3328 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Muto is a strange case.  The more I see of him the more I think it's really hard to judge him on the same criteria as anyone else.  He just seems like he exists in his own separate universe the way he does just about everything.  Watching young Muto work is such a trip because he runs different, he does even basic moves with this extra little snap to them that is executed in his own inimitable way.  And yeah, he has some really inexplicable stuff to go along with it.  The match he loses to Kawada in, I think, 2001 where Kawada is still in the ring selling the match by the time Muto is off the arena floor and in the locker rooms...and Kawada WON.  Stuff like that is really going to stand out to somebody who is on the detractor side of the fence.

I will say that whatever your opinion of Muto, he's really one of the true innovators of pro wrestling in the early 90s.  There is so much stuff that just isn't as prevalent now if he's not around then.

#48 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

Muto is awesome, and I've never understood the critiques of him at all, other than his tendencies to sometimes dog it on small shows. But the same is true of Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and plenty of other high-level guys.

I'm just sad he decided to completely shit the bed with Barry Windham in '93. That could have been his best American match but he never seemed to give a single crap about wrestling in America after '89.

#49 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9004 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

The match he loses to Kawada in, I think, 2001 where Kawada is still in the ring selling the match by the time Muto is off the arena floor and in the locker rooms...and Kawada WON. 

Another all-time great Grumpy Mutoh Fuck-Off performance indeed. :)

#50 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2939 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

Bruiser Brody has got to be one of the top "both over and under- rated" wrestlers. The WO Best Brawler award is named after him, but there are a ton of people whose opinions I otherwise respect (e.g. JDW) who consider Brody to be utter garbage.

Sayama, too. I have a few Japanese drinking friends in their 50s who consider him the greatest ever... but I have a few internet friends who completely write him off as the guy who pioneered the "MOVEZ" style of pro wrestling.

People on both sides of the debate about both of those guys can be really passionate about it, too.

The Observer top 100 book had Brody at #18. Ranking him over the Funks, Race, Brisco etc. seems utterly insane.

#51 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

Chris Masters always seemed like an underrated wrestler, specially from 2010 onwards

#52 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11328 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

Yatsu.

#53 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4887 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

One of the interesting things I've seen with WWE Network is anyone that wanders into the World Class footage all seems to have the same reaction of "holy shit, I didn't know King Kong Bundy was good."

#54 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1931 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

Stevie Richards: He could do it all - sidekick goof, underdog babyface, menacing heel - he could play any character and deliver the goods in the ring.

Steve Corino: For all the praise (not here) that Cody gets for being a throwback cosplay '80s champion, Corino actually made this role feel real and organic in his ECW run.

Michael Modest: I have no idea why the hell he never made it to the WWF - he had everything going for him, except maybe size and hairline.

Christopher Daniels: A lot better than he was ever pushed, and he never truly made it to the WWF either, which is a shame.

Kamala: Played his character to perfection, and he could be good too. Watch the Kamala-Andre cage match on WWE Network if you don't believe me!

#55 grizzlyedwin

grizzlyedwin

@flatxearth

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

I haven't watched him in forever and I don't even know if he's retired yet or not, but based on his work from mid 2000's, Yutaka Yoshie was underrated. He was a fat man that new how to literally throw his weight around.

He had some fantastic matches back then with guys like Nakanishi, Nakamura, Ishii, Sekimoto, etc.

#56 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Each time I see the overrated/underrated question raised, I remember 2002 I think it was when PWI did their annual polling issue, and both the #2 most overrated and #2 most underrated wrestler was Chris Jericho. There's an interesting question. Which wrestlers are both? In other words, which wrestlers do you find that a significant number of people both praise too highly and criticize too harshly?

thats a great perspective, I havent actually thought about it that way before

#57 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

One of the interesting things I've seen with WWE Network is anyone that wanders into the World Class footage all seems to have the same reaction of "holy shit, I didn't know King Kong Bundy was good."

Yeah, he becomes a really good promo very quickly and is no slouch in the ring either

#58 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4887 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, he becomes a really good promo very quickly and is no slouch in the ring either

The Harley Race match where they just beat the shit out of each other was really really good.

#59 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

Haven't got to that one yet. Sounds awesome!

#60 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4887 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

It's from that August Star Wars that had Kerry/Flair 2 out of 3 falls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users