Pro Wrestling Only

Holidays PWO Appreciation Thread

dawho5

If it wasn't for this board I don't know if I'd even follow wrestling anymore. I find myself becoming more and more alienated by the current "modern" product (with the exception of NXT) so it's really the discussions here and the ability to debate the sport (new and old) that keeps me engaged. There are some minor things about PWO I don't like, but you have to take the bad with the good, and the good far outweighs the bad. For the most part I respect and enjoy interacting with the majority of the members here.

Happy Holidays to everybody. I hope you have an enjoyable, safe holiday and get to spend it with people you love.

You should give CWF Mid-Atlantic a try. They put their shows on YouTube weekly for free.

I would second this. They film two hours up the road from me so my wife and I go to tapings from time to time, making me kind of a homer for the product... but if you haven't watched I would highly recommend them as great modern studio wrestling that is narrative and continuity based. You can more or less jump in anywhere and they will catch you up.

My mom died in February. This has been an incredibly fucked up year. I don't post here often, but places like this and Sam's WDKW board have really helped me enjoy wrestling on a granular level like I did when I was younger. I've watched more wrestling this year than I have since 2013 probably. These commmunities are incredibly meaningful to me. My wife will often ask me what I'm doing on my phone during dinner. LOL, my answer more often than not is that I'm looking at posts about wrestling, whether on here or DVDVR or WDKW or WKO, or even on my carefully curated Wrestling Twitter list. Always feel silly explaining that one away.

Anyways, thank you everyone for being out chea posting and loving this dumb thing with me. Thank you to Loss and Chad most of all. The 2000s Project. I have all but abandoned my watching for that project, but it did wonders for me in the month after my mom died. Wacky as it is to say, watching early Danielson and Spanky matches was helpful for me at that time, in ways I can't even put into words. Thank you, everyone.

For what its worth, I don't post here that often or frequently and I am certainly not a central part of this, but I am really happy this place helps you. Wrestling has always been something I turned to when things were hard and stressful. Its dope that wrestling can and internet wrestling stuff can help you too.

My mom died in February. This has been an incredibly fucked up year. I don't post here often, but places like this and Sam's WDKW board have really helped me enjoy wrestling on a granular level like I did when I was younger. I've watched more wrestling this year than I have since 2013 probably. These commmunities are incredibly meaningful to me. My wife will often ask me what I'm doing on my phone during dinner. LOL, my answer more often than not is that I'm looking at posts about wrestling, whether on here or DVDVR or WDKW or WKO, or even on my carefully curated Wrestling Twitter list. Always feel silly explaining that one away.

Anyways, thank you everyone for being out chea posting and loving this dumb thing with me. Thank you to Loss and Chad most of all. The 2000s Project. I have all but abandoned my watching for that project, but it did wonders for me in the month after my mom died. Wacky as it is to say, watching early Danielson and Spanky matches was helpful for me at that time, in ways I can't even put into words. Thank you, everyone.

Condolences to you and your family.

PWO is one of the best forums to me.I am glad that people on this board focus on content and not getting his/her gimmick over. DVDVR has turned into /r/SquaredCircle lite and some other places have become equally or even more unbearable. Thank you to Brad, Chad, Charles, Will, etc. for the time, effort, money, etc. put in to keep this place running. A double 'thank you' for keeping it fun and allowing a platform for some of the members podcast endeavors!

Love this place. I've been here for over 10 years now and have only began to start posting regularly as I feel out of love with pro-wrestling a few months after I discovered this place.

Around WM 33 time, I began to watch pro-wrestling regularly again and getting into the yearbooks and the PWO2K (which I'm currently exploring through now) have really brought me back full circle.

Thanks to you all for making this place one of the more enjoyable ventures for discussing pro-wrestling!

Have a blessed and merry Christmas!

So for those of you that are big Progress fans. What are some good shows for a beginner.

From Chapter 2 onward, namely for the Jimmy Havoc stuff which imo is the best storyline they've ever put on.

If anything, just watch the Jimmy Havoc match from that show and then skip through the rest.

Also watch the rest of the chapters for Jimmy Havoc matches only. Start watching the full shows from Chapter 10 onward. That's when they start getting better.

So for those of you that are big Progress fans. What are some good shows for a beginner.

Good Question...

I would say you could start in lots of places

The most recent C. 49: Super Strong Style might be a reasonable place to start if you wanted to get into sort of the thick of the stories. That would more or less catch you up quickly to that point and then give you a solid grasp on the homestretch of the BSS era, which was great to me. For that matter, you could probably start with any SSS16 tourny and follow along from that point. They are really nice nodal points in the Progress universe where you get your work rate super match, but typically catch everyone up on the plot and move their central stories along nicely.

You could skip ahead to Ch. 55: Chase the Sun, where they blew off a bunch of stuff and sort of turned a page to the chapter (no pun intended) they are on now. That would give you a running start into a lot of the current stories.

If you wanted to just sample shows and see if you dig it, I would suggest the NYC show. I think that is their best match-for-match show to date. Its kind of a super show in a way, but you can start to "get" Progress from it. Ch. 46: I Like to Chill Out Here and Shoot Some Dinosaurs is another good one and it has a good bit of variety.

Ch. 13: Unbelievable Jeff was the first show I ever saw because it was free on youtube (still might be). I quite enjoyed it. It was still a bit before I got around to subscribing, but the show was good and really put Progress on my radar.

Ch. 44 is where I started watching show-to-show so anything before that I sort of have an out of order, cherry picked understanding of right now, but I have started to go back in my free time and start from Ch. 1. I wouldn't recommend starting from the beginning. The wrestling is good, but it isn't going to get you hooked on the product most likely. There are probably some other good ones in there I just haven't gotten to yet.

Good Question...

I would say you could start in lots of places

The most recent C. 49: Super Strong Style might be a reasonable place to start if you wanted to get into sort of the thick of the stories. That would more or less catch you up quickly to that point and then give you a solid grasp on the homestretch of the BSS era, which was great to me. For that matter, you could probably start with any SSS16 tourny and follow along from that point. They are really nice nodal points in the Progress universe where you get your work rate super match, but typically catch everyone up on the plot and move their central stories along nicely.

You could skip ahead to Ch. 55: Chase the Sun, where they blew off a bunch of stuff and sort of turned a page to the chapter (no pun intended) they are on now. That would give you a running start into a lot of the current stories.

If you wanted to just sample shows and see if you dig it, I would suggest the NYC show. I think that is their best match-for-match show to date. Its kind of a super show in a way, but you can start to "get" Progress from it. Ch. 46: I Like to Chill Out Here and Shoot Some Dinosaurs is another good one and it has a good bit of variety.

Ch. 13: Unbelievable Jeff was the first show I ever saw because it was free on youtube (still might be). I quite enjoyed it. It was still a bit before I got around to subscribing, but the show was good and really put Progress on my radar.

Ch. 44 is where I started watching show-to-show so anything before that I sort of have an out of order, cherry picked understanding of right now, but I have started to go back in my free time and start from Ch. 1. I wouldn't recommend starting from the beginning. The wrestling is good, but it isn't going to get you hooked on the product most likely. There are probably some other good ones in there I just haven't gotten to yet.

The first couple of shows sucked -- except for the Jimmy Havoc development which in my opinion has been their best storyline.

I would just sit through the Jimmy Havoc matches for the story development of the early shows and skip everything else until the later episodes where the in ring work gets much better.

By far the best wrestling board on the Internet.

Pretty much this. Nothing even comes close. The depth of discussion and sheer diversity of styles/promotions covered from every era and region is not something you are going to get anywhere else.

It's not without its flaws (certain people being needlessly unpleasant, some elitist attitudes) but the good easily overwhelms the negatives.

I've been on my fair share of message boards, and I know how difficult it is to keep conversation lively while maintaining a strong signal-to-noise ratio. You need strong moderation for that to happen, but you also need a strong crew of regular posters who are willing to police each other and check themselves if need be. Thanks to everyone here for making this board what it is.