Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/25 - 12/31

KawadaSmile

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interaction between them was great, but a 16 minute match when the gimmick is no commericals was probably not the best timing. Joe continues to be the best heel, and the match with Roman was great until the super lame "DQ for kicking too much ass" finish.

Jordan and Rollins as tag champs was fun, but it's either leading to the Russoiffic tag partners who don't get along deal or we're supposed to forget they spent weeks portraying JJ as a whiny bitch to set up a heel turn that apparently got called off when Dean got hurt.

Definitely shocked by the tag title switch.

I did not see the whole show, but gotta say it was another swing-and-a-miss in the Womens' Division angle I saw.

For those that missed it, we'll start with Enzo and Nia under the mistletoe. Now, I've got issues with this just because I think its turning Enzo (and Nia) face cuz its a really cutesy story, but whatever, not a huge deal. Anyway, Alexa Bliss interrupts before they can kiss, pulling Nia away because she needs her help.

Later, Alexa cut a promo about how she broke the glass ceiling and all the other women on the roster should be thanking her for being the catalyst for the Womens' Rumble (and they re-aired a clip from Steph's announcement which, even in truncated form, was as bad as everyone warned me it was). Not a great promo, but not terrible. Still, no real complaints.

Asuka shows up, gets a good pop, and says she's entering the Rumble. Here's where things fall off the rails.

Asuka stares down Alexa for what felt like a good long 60-90 seconds. During this long, awkward pause, it seemed like Nia was supposed to do a run-in (that could explain why Alexa pulled her away earlier, to enlist her as back-up "just in case"). Or Alexa could take a powder and retreat like a coward, which would've been fine. Or Bliss could've attempted to strike first and then Asuka would duck and knock her on her ass. Whatever. Instead, it was just an awkward staredown until Asuka booted her in the head. (There was a mild "Asuka" chant during this, but even that felt like it took 30-40 seconds for fans to pick up on)

Now, someone could defend this and say, "No, you got it wrong. The idea was that Nia didn't make the save because she wants Alexa's title too. You just wait, DMJ, Alexa will confront Nia next week about not having her back and this will all make sense."

And, yes, that would make sense and be fine build for the Rumble...if a producer had instructed Alexa to, instead of just quivering in fear of Asuka, maybe act like she expected Nia to be coming any second. A simple look over her shoulder, as if to say "Where's my back-up?" would've saved the entire segment. Or better yet, have Alexa not back down and actually continue to talk shit, over-confidently assured that Nia had her back only for, ruh-roh, Nia to not have her back.

I think the angle bothered me so much because I was watching with non-fans, including my non-fan father-in-law, and he enjoyed the first part of the segment only to be like "That's it?" when it ended. Just lazy, anti-climactic writing.

Saw a very bad take from some reviewer guy I used to read when I was starting out online saying that Jordan winning the tag titles shows how stupid it was for WWE to move him to Raw and split him from Gable in the first place. Jordan's gradual character development has been one of the best parts of Raw for the last couple of months. It's so odd and irritating that a certain section of online fans that seem to believe that if they dislike a character it's because WWE are somehow mishandling them as opposed to effectively booking him as a heel. It's hard to get heat when everyone is an armchair booker rather than a fan

I feel some of the Jordan hate is, to a degree, similar to the hate Roman received for his Rumble/WM push. Most fans ( Everyone actually) wanted Daniel Bryan in the Rumble/WM spot, but instead got Roman. A tough pill for some to swallow. People worked themselves into a shoot with the Gable/Angle comparisons and wanted/hoped/needed Gable to be Angle's son or at least have some affiliation with Angle. When that didn't happen--the Roman-like backlash started. Jordan is going to have to overcome that hump. Reigns has yet to FULLY overcome his and the ghost of Daniel Bryan lingers. We shall see how Jordan does.

It just came off to me like they just stuck Jordan in as a last minute Dean replacement and did the same story they were planning to do. The whole deal with Sheamus apparently dealing with spinal stenosis seems to have gone under the radar, and this seems like this might have been done to get the belts off him.

Also I think with Jordan was he was placed in an unbelievable (in a bad way) story that got shit on from the jump. It was going to be stupid no matter who was put in it, I think some people just were assuming it was going to be Gable because of the Olympic connection. No one is hating this because it wasn't Gable, they were hating it because it's a stupid storyline no one is buying and the longer they do it the more it makes everyone involved look like geeks.

It just came off to me like they just stuck Jordan in as a last minute Dean replacement and did the same story they were planning to do. The whole deal with Sheamus apparently dealing with spinal stenosis seems to have gone under the radar, and this seems like this might have been done to get the belts off him.

Also I think with Jordan was he was placed in an unbelievable (in a bad way) story that got shit on from the jump. It was going to be stupid no matter who was put in it, I think some people just were assuming it was going to be Gable because of the Olympic connection. No one is hating this because it wasn't Gable, they were hating it because it's a stupid storyline no one is buying and the longer they do it the more it makes everyone involved look like geeks.

Not when they've clearly salvaged it and more by changing Jordan's character. He's been the most over heel for weeks on end while interacting with the top stars and getting exactly the reactions they desire so how he's being made to look like a geek is totally beyond me.

At the beginning it was obviously rough as they wanted him as a babyface but they've been pretty damn good with him since they realized he had to eventually be heel.

I really hope this leads to Jordan v Angle at mania instead of Angle v HHH. I think we eventually get that match but Mania would be ideal

Definitely shocked by the tag title switch.

I did not see the whole show, but gotta say it was another swing-and-a-miss in the Womens' Division angle I saw.

For those that missed it, we'll start with Enzo and Nia under the mistletoe. Now, I've got issues with this just because I think its turning Enzo (and Nia) face cuz its a really cutesy story, but whatever, not a huge deal. Anyway, Alexa Bliss interrupts before they can kiss, pulling Nia away because she needs her help.

Later, Alexa cut a promo about how she broke the glass ceiling and all the other women on the roster should be thanking her for being the catalyst for the Womens' Rumble (and they re-aired a clip from Steph's announcement which, even in truncated form, was as bad as everyone warned me it was). Not a great promo, but not terrible. Still, no real complaints.

Asuka shows up, gets a good pop, and says she's entering the Rumble. Here's where things fall off the rails.

Asuka stares down Alexa for what felt like a good long 60-90 seconds. During this long, awkward pause, it seemed like Nia was supposed to do a run-in (that could explain why Alexa pulled her away earlier, to enlist her as back-up "just in case"). Or Alexa could take a powder and retreat like a coward, which would've been fine. Or Bliss could've attempted to strike first and then Asuka would duck and knock her on her ass. Whatever. Instead, it was just an awkward staredown until Asuka booted her in the head. (There was a mild "Asuka" chant during this, but even that felt like it took 30-40 seconds for fans to pick up on)

Now, someone could defend this and say, "No, you got it wrong. The idea was that Nia didn't make the save because she wants Alexa's title too. You just wait, DMJ, Alexa will confront Nia next week about not having her back and this will all make sense."

And, yes, that would make sense and be fine build for the Rumble...if a producer had instructed Alexa to, instead of just quivering in fear of Asuka, maybe act like she expected Nia to be coming any second. A simple look over her shoulder, as if to say "Where's my back-up?" would've saved the entire segment. Or better yet, have Alexa not back down and actually continue to talk shit, over-confidently assured that Nia had her back only for, ruh-roh, Nia to not have her back.

I think the angle bothered me so much because I was watching with non-fans, including my non-fan father-in-law, and he enjoyed the first part of the segment only to be like "That's it?" when it ended. Just lazy, anti-climactic writing.

Stuff like the Nia/Enzo stuff make me so glad I watch the Hulu version and it is never in there. I did the see the Alexa promo. I was hoping they’d do the Alexa/Asuka switch so Rousey can win the Rumble, so that was a disappointment. Hope that is still where they go.

I liked Raw in general, though. Was pretty pumped that Elias got that spot.

Perhaps I need to stop venturing off to the dark places of Wrestling Twitter, because in these places there are a lot of "Gable or Bust" type of people. Its strange but expected. For me personally, Jordan is an anthropomorphic shoehorn. The tag team title win is a good example of this. Its refreshing though to have have a planned monkey wrench thrown into everything to ensure aspects of the product stay somewhat fresh.

Not enjoying the fact that Shield 2.0 is starting to venture into the direction of WWENWO. Perhaps that is too far and NWO Silver is a better comparison.

God damn Rusev is over! Push him!

Those chants of "RUSEV DAY" were deafening. And we all thought that he would never recover from the Cena program.

You mean the Ziggler program, right? Losing to the ace of the company is still a much better program than whatever was that feud with Ziggler.
Nah, the Cena is the worst burier and backstage politician of all-time corner of the IWC is still very strong and vocal!

I went to both RAW and SD. RAW was so hard to sit through, with Reigns-Joe being the only real highlight, and the Chicago crowd being oddly quiet all night by their standards even for a Cena match SD felt like a big party, with the crowd going nuts for Bryan to start the show, and then feeling like an ECW show with the Rusev stuff where it was like the crowd just decided they were going to make someone a star. So much fun.

God damn Rusev is over! Push him!

Those chants of "RUSEV DAY" were deafening. And we all thought that he would never recover from the Cena program.

You mean the Ziggler program, right? Losing to the ace of the company is still a much better program than whatever was that feud with Ziggler.

Also fans are probably bitching that he is no longer the slient/mono symbolic, unbeatable monster, and that he was far better in the role than that current flavor of the month, Braun, is.

Not sure this belongs in another thread but I went to MSG for WWE's annual Christmas show and had a terrific time. Brief rundown:

Bray Wyatt vs. Matt Hardy -- Matt with new Beethoven entrance music. Perhaps similar to what he had in TNA? Crowd dug him and Matt went over cleanly.
Absolution vs. Sasha Banks & Bayley & Mickie James -- Solid match with a good pace. Paige was strong working the crowd as a heel. Heat on Bayley led to a Mickie James hot tag and she was quickly pinned by Paige.
Elias out for a song with Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows that set up a 10 man tag. Oddly none of these threes wrestled.
Rhyno & Heath Slater & Goldust & Titus O'Neil & Apollo Crews vs. The Revival & Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel & Curt Hawkins -- Pour out a little liquor for The Revival. Nothing good here, but it was quick.
Enzo Amore vs. Kalisto -- Enzo is not very good at professional wrestling. They did capture the crowd for one Kalisto no near fall, but there was nothing to see here.
Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor -- Joe looked absolutely huge. Fun, fast match that saw Joe go over cleanly.
Asuka & Dane Brooke vs. Alexa Bliss & Nia Jax -- Not a great or good match by typical standards, but Alex & Nia are a super fun act. They have this pre-match handshake routine like you'd see from Damon Jones, Cam Payne or similar fun guys at the end of a basketball team's bunch. There's absolutely a place for this on a live wrestling show.
Braun Strowman vs. Kane -- Kane DQ'd right away for a chair shot, which led to Braun putting him through a table for the easy pop. Braun ripped off his shirt and cupped his ears like Hogan afterwards.
Seth Rollins & Jason Jordan vs. Cesaro & Sheamus -- They took an intermission before this match to set up the cage, then another extended pause afterwards to remove it. I found this odd because last year's Christmas show featured a cage for Miz/Dolph but it was suspended above the ring and lowered for that match. Not sure why the change in plans this year. Solid spectacle built around chase/escape spots that people seemed into.
Roman Reigns vs. John Cena -- Not surprisingly these two received far and away the best reactions of the night, and the crowd was hot from intros through to the finish. They killed a few minutes early working the crowd (primarily Cena), but then ran through their big spots and gave each a great near fall before Roman won cleanly with a spear. Probably ***1/2 and easily the match of the night.
There was a child in the row behind us who was a die hard Cena fan -- hat, shirt, cheering the whole night. He was losing his mind every time Roman was in control and legitimately ended up in years at the finish. Hopefully he sticks around.
Roman/Cena was very much the only really good match on the show, but basically everything on the show was fun except for perhaps the 10 man tag and Enzo, and even those had their moments and didn't overstay their welcome. While I doubt such a show would play well on TV, especially given the state of commentary these days, I have to imagine any fan would have a good time at the event unless you go in expecting a show of the year.

Paige got injured in a house show tonight; it was a 6-person tag and it had to be stopped due to her injury. She walked out on her own from what PWI reports. Hopefully it is nothing serious because I have liked the Absolution angle so far. It's not been perfect but it has shown definite promise imo.