• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

God damn Rusev is over! Push him!

Those chants of "RUSEV DAY" were deafening. And we all thought that he would never recover from the Cena program.

You mean the Ziggler program, right? Losing to the ace of the company is still a much better program than whatever was that feud with Ziggler.

Also fans are probably bitching that he is no longer the slient/mono symbolic, unbeatable monster, and that he was far better in the role than that current flavor of the month, Braun, is.

#22 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Pretty sure no one is saying anything like that.

#23 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

Looks like Hideo broke Brian Kendrick's face with the GTS on Monday, broken nose/orbital bone.

#24 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

Not sure this belongs in another thread but I went to MSG for WWE's annual Christmas show and had a terrific time.  Brief rundown:

Bray Wyatt vs. Matt Hardy -- Matt with new Beethoven entrance music.  Perhaps similar to what he had in TNA?  Crowd dug him and Matt went over cleanly.  

Absolution vs. Sasha Banks & Bayley & Mickie James -- Solid match with a good pace.  Paige was strong working the crowd as a heel.  Heat on Bayley led to a Mickie James hot tag and she was quickly pinned by Paige.  

Elias out for a song with Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows that set up a 10 man tag.  Oddly none of these threes wrestled.

Rhyno & Heath Slater & Goldust & Titus O'Neil & Apollo Crews vs. The Revival & Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel & Curt Hawkins -- Pour out a little liquor for The Revival.  Nothing good here, but it was quick.

Enzo Amore vs. Kalisto -- Enzo is not very good at professional wrestling.  They did capture the crowd for one Kalisto no near fall, but there was nothing to see here.  

Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor -- Joe looked absolutely huge.  Fun, fast match that saw Joe go over cleanly.  

Asuka & Dane Brooke vs. Alexa Bliss & Nia Jax -- Not a great or good match by typical standards, but Alex & Nia are a super fun act.  They have this pre-match handshake routine like you'd see from Damon Jones, Cam Payne or similar fun guys at the end of a basketball team's bunch.  There's absolutely a place for this on a live wrestling show.

Braun Strowman vs. Kane -- Kane DQ'd right away for a chair shot, which led to Braun putting him through a table for the easy pop.  Braun ripped off his shirt and cupped his ears like Hogan afterwards.  

Seth Rollins & Jason Jordan vs. Cesaro & Sheamus -- They took an intermission before this match to set up the cage, then another extended pause afterwards to remove it.  I found this odd because last year's Christmas show featured a cage for Miz/Dolph but it was suspended above the ring and lowered for that match.  Not sure why the change in plans this year.  Solid spectacle built around chase/escape spots that people seemed into.

Roman Reigns vs. John Cena -- Not surprisingly these two received far and away the best reactions of the night, and the crowd was hot from intros through to the finish.  They killed a few minutes early working the crowd (primarily Cena), but then ran through their big spots and gave each a great near fall before Roman won cleanly with a spear.  Probably ***1/2 and easily the match of the night.  

There was a child in the row behind us who was a die hard Cena fan -- hat, shirt, cheering the whole night.  He was losing his mind every time Roman was in control and legitimately ended up in years at the finish.  Hopefully he sticks around.

Roman/Cena was very much the only really good match on the show, but basically everything on the show was fun except for perhaps the 10 man tag and Enzo, and even those had their moments and didn't overstay their welcome.  While I doubt such a show would play well on TV, especially given the state of commentary these days, I have to imagine any fan would have a good time at the event unless you go in expecting a show of the year. 

#25 MoS

MoS
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Paige got injured in a house show tonight; it was a 6-person tag and it had to be stopped due to her injury. She walked out on her own from what PWI reports. Hopefully it is nothing serious because I have liked the Absolution angle so far. It's not been perfect but it has shown definite promise imo.

#26 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

Hopefully its nothing that will derail plans too much and a few weeks at ringside as a second for the others will be all it takes

#27 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2850 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:41 AM

Those chants of "RUSEV DAY" were deafening. And we all thought that he would never recover from the Cena program.

You mean the Ziggler program, right? Losing to the ace of the company is still a much better program than whatever was that feud with Ziggler.

I actually heard more people complain about his program with Cena than his program with Ziggler. But yeah, you're right.

#28 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:32 AM

I actually heard more people complain about his program with Cena than his program with Ziggler. But yeah, you're right.

People complained because they wanted him to beat Cena and in hindsight, they could have had a special top heel on their hands if he won that feud. But really, there's no issue in an upper midcard guy getting built up strong for months and losing to the ace at the big show. It's wrestling 101. WWE's issue for a long time has been the follow up. Plus, there was all that weird shit of them supposedly trying to break Lana and Rusev up by splitting the act and pairing her with others etc.

#29 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

Paige got injured in a house show tonight; it was a 6-person tag and it had to be stopped due to her injury. She walked out on her own from what PWI reports. Hopefully it is nothing serious because I have liked the Absolution angle so far. It's not been perfect but it has shown definite promise imo.

Sounds like she took a kick in the back from Sasha Banks and got a stinger, but after her neck problems it's good they are being careful. Hopefully she'll be back in the ring at least by the Rumble.

#30 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1660 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

SmackDown was a fun show this week but I'm begging them to utilize their roster. The shows have fallen off a cliff since this year's draft and part of the problem is they're so repetitive. It's a stark contrast to 2016 SmackDown.

SmackDown MIA report:

Ascension haven't wrestled on TV since October (but at least they're involved in storylines)

Mike Kanellis has wrestled on TV 5 times since debuting in July (3 of those matches were in July).

Once or twice a year they remember they have Sin Cara on the payroll, then they forget about him again.

Mojo Rawley turned heel weeks ago and has had absolutely zero TV presence outside of one pre-show match.

Zack Ryder just kind of exists.

The Colons: Primo started working house shows in September after getting hurt over the summer. Not sure what's happening there.

Tye Dillinger wasn't used since October before last night.

Becky Lynch should be back from filming soon so at least there's that. I'm not even a fan of all these guys. I just don't understand the point in benching that much talent when the shows are this stale.

#31 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

Mike Kanellis has wrestled on TV 5 times since debuting in July (3 of those matches were in July).

Amazing.

When is Maria scheduled to deliver ? And then how much time will they let her before calling her back on TV (I guess once she'll get in "WWE shape"), as obviously they wanted her rather than him.

#32 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1660 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Amazing.

When is Maria scheduled to deliver ? And then how much time will they let her before calling her back on TV (I guess once she'll get in "WWE shape"), as obviously they wanted her rather than him.

This could easily make something out of the situation since his gimmick is a love-sick puppy. Have him start a countdown. Have them baby-talk to each other on Skype. Follow him on a Baby's R' Us trip.

There's plenty of room for those kind of acts.

#33 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7475 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

Mike Kanellis was clearly a package deal with Maria and once she got pregnant I think that derailed whatever plans they had for them. Whether or not he'll ever recover and get back in the mix, I have no idea but considering WWE paid for Mike's rehab stint and Maria is getting a very extended paternity leave I'd say they aren't doing bad from a financial standpoint.

#34 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

The Kanellis = Lanny Poffo. I say good for them !

#35 Alucard

Alucard
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

Agreed that SDL hasn't been the same since the Superstar Shakeup. Prior to that, the initial draft run was top notch. One thing that stood out on Raw this week is they used just about the entire roster. It was Christmas but still had all the top guys in addition to the lower guys like Hawkins, Slater & Rhyno, and a brief skit with Goldust.

#36 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Sounds like she took a kick in the back from Sasha Banks and got a stinger, but after her neck problems it's good they are being careful. Hopefully she'll be back in the ring at least by the Rumble.

There's a GIF of the spot making its way around Twitter now, I don't know if she wasn't expecting the kick or Sasha put something extra on it, but it was kind of sickening seeing someone who's just back from neck surgery have their head whip like that. She was shaking her arm after like it was a stinger, but she tried getting up and fell down like Austin did after the botched piledriver so that's probably where the "it's not as bad as it looked in the ring" is coming from. 

#37 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

I don't know, I was there Tuesday and I still love SD. Vince wants to build a main event scene for a national TV show around AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and Daniel Bryan, I'm not fighting him. The tag scene is on fire, this Rusev love is crazy. I have faith they'll do something with Mojo since he has so many things they like, it would be weird if a talented big guy with famous friends couldn't catch a break. I actually like Roode and Ziggler. The Fashion Files/Ascension stuff feels like Ryan Ward writing out of the old NXT days. Bludgeon Brothers are so absurdly old school but I enjoy it. The 2 hours goes by so fast after sitting through Raw. I'm very grateful that there's still a mainstream American wrestling show I can regularly look forward to and enjoy.

#38 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

I am amazed at the number of tag teams on Smackdown and it looks like they are finding something for all of them to do.

#39 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4405 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

I'm with Sean here. I know most aren't liking Owens and Sami on top on SD but I dig their act. Yeah it's probably too much comedy but Sami is just amazingly annoying in a good way. And any show with so many tag teams in the mix is going to get over big with me. And I'm a sucker for tournaments

#40 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1855 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

I'm with Sean here. I know most aren't liking Owens and Sami on top on SD but I dig their act. Yeah it's probably too much comedy but Sami is just amazingly annoying in a good way. And any show with so many tag teams in the mix is going to get over big with me. And I'm a sucker for tournaments

I love their act, but I just have a hard time enjoying Owens matches at this point.

RE: the tag teams, I kind of wish they’d dump 205 Live for a tag team-only show because they are so loaded with them. However, then I remember how little effort they put into 205.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users