Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-06-07-WWE-Extreme Rules] Randy Orton vs Batista (Cage)

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Champion Randy Orton vs Batista - Extreme Rules 2009 Steel Cage Match

I actually liked this a good bit! I feel like Orton vs Batista was actually an underutilized feud even though it was an obvious one given their Evolution past. I am not the authority on this time period so maybe they did run a program before this. I am surprised Batista won and later found out he had to vacate due to injury. Im really hazy on the details. When did the injury happen? What was the plan for a Batista title reign? A HHH program? A Cena program? Orton was the top heel on RAW, Smackdown had Punk, Jericho and Edge, but RAW was very thin. Was Orton going to regain anywhere and feud with Cena? Orton vs Cena seemed like the natural progression.

As for the match, I thought the best part of this was that it was short clocking in at 7-8 minutes and how committed Orton was to being a chickenshit and escaping the cage. As soon as the bell rung, try to escape. As soon as he got any sort of separation, try to escape. He came up with some good ways to create opportunities. I liked the leapfrog and Batista runs into the cage. The smash Batista into the cage, hit his backbreaker and try to escape. I loved his standing dropkick. This was a damn good Orton performance. Batista was good as the power wrestler throwing Orton around. I wish he was a little more violent, but still lots of good slams. The best part is Orton really has Batista down and he goes to escape the cage, BUT he gets greedy and deviates from the strategy. He instead goes for the punt, but WHIFFS! He done gone fucked up. Batista goes for the Batista Bomb and after some wriggling hits it. I love it. Orton is so committed to escape to win, but when he has that golden opportunity he wastes it on trying to end Batista's career instead of winning the match and that costs him the match. Good story, lots of energy, great Orton performance. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2009-06-07-WWE-Extreme Rules] Randy Orton vs Batista (Cage)