Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-06-28-WWE-The Bash] CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy

Superstar Sleeze

World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy - The Bash 2009

So watching the video package, CM Punk has not gone full Straight Edge preacher mode heel yet. Basically, we are in the "Yeah what I did was scummy, but all is fair in love & war" portion of the heel turn. I loved CM Punk's line of "Nowhere in the contract did it say, you cant cash it in on Jeff Hardy." He is a really good wise ass.

Terrific match as Jeff Hardy now has someone who can wrestle with him. I thought this came off great. The match is all built around finishers which I love. I thought the escalation and pacing of the match was pitch perfect. Good, basic chaining to start. Punk goes for G2S, but Hardy counters into a crucifix, nice. Hardy goes for the Twist of Fate, but Punk shoves off. Hardy sends him to the outside on the charge. Hardy gets in his early big spot flying over the ropes onto Punk. He crashes and burns hard on Poetry In Motion into the barricade great spot to set up the Punk heat segment. The Punk heat segment is simple, but effective which is how I describe Punk a lot. One of the big differences between Punk and Edge is that Punk actually feeds his babyfaces. Edge lets them starve. Punk misses an elbow and then a charge. This sets up Whisper In The Wind and the first cover for Jeff Hardy. Hardy runs through his comeback sequence and has Punk in position for the Swanton. Punk rolls out, but Hardy is a Punk-seeking missile and hits him with a clothesline off the apron. The finisher teases have been really well done in this match. Not to be outdone, when Hardy goes for his vintage dropkick in the corner Punk pops up and catches him on his shoulder in position for the Go 2 Sleep, but Hardy wriggles free. Punk kicks Hardy's arm hard, run up knee and Bulldog. This is a great way for Punk to insert what was previously his bayface comeback sequence as a heel. Hardy was a roll, he tries for the him run when he does not get it, he still capitalizes enough to regain control. Punk unloads with some really damn good strikes but misses the backfist and TWIST OF FATE! We have our first finish hit! Hardy misses the Swanton Bomb. 1-2-NO! GO 2 SLEEP?!?! HARDY INSIDE CRADLE!!! 1-2-NO! Punk blasts him with a nice roundhouse kick to the head. Go 2 Sleep...TWIST OF FATE! SWANTON BOMB! 1-2-3!!! I knew Hardy wins the title back so I actually popped for this and totally bought into it. Turns out Punk's foot is under the ropes. They restart the match. Punk's eye gets poked when Hardy elbows out of the G2S and then Punk kicks the ref in the back to trigger DQ. I guess Hardy wins at the next PPV whatever that is called. Thank God for Wikipedia.

Was Dusty booking in 2009??? Lots of Dusty Finishes, jeez. Like I said just great traditional pro wrestling escalation. They pepper in big spots through out the match. Built their match around each other's finishers, first it was avoiding them and then Hardy started to land them. Notice Punk never hit Go 2 Sleep. Hardy always managed to escape. Whereas once Hardy hit Punk with the Swanton he did get the 1-2-3. I think this was a perfect match #1 in thee series that they can really build off of. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2009-06-28-WWE-The Bash] CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy
  • 1 year later...

I thought the finish of this match was really clever. It all relies on reasonable doubt. We kind of know that Punk is full of shit when he claims he kicked the ref by accident but because of his eye, there is a big chance that it was indeed by accident. A great way to turn Punk further heel and make Hardy feel like he warrants another title shot. The rest of the match was a great series of big moves that were all built to. Hardy always evading the GTS was a great hook for the match to go to considering this was early in the feud. Hardy had some great hope spots and bumped big. Really good outing. ***1/2