Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For SirEdger. Enjoy the over the top craziness of a PR Ambulance match on a baseball field. With fans not restricted to the stands. :)

Boy, you weren't kidding when you used the words "over the top craziness". That's exactly what it was. I'll admit though at first that I was a bit thrown off when I realized the object of the match was to beat up an opponent so bad he had to leave in an ambulance rather than the usual Ambulance Matches that I've seen. Nonetheless, that was one heckuva crazy brawl that picked up once the Coal Miner's Glove was introduced, which I thought was awesome. It's also fun for me to see pre-Bushwhackers stuff from Luke Williams & Butch Miller that shows that those two were complete badasses. And now, I finally figured out who were Los Pastores in your 1983 Project threads because I hadn't made the connection until now! :P

Also pretty cool to see a filled stadium with people sitting on the field rather than just in the stands or part of a stadium, like the Von Erichs often did in World Class. That adds to the visual of a lynch mob-like mentality when people rush to the ambulance while Carlos Colon & Invader I are still trying to beat up Butch Miller (at least, I thought it was Butch Miller lol). Overall, quite the enjoyable match and I would've been even more into it if I had known the complete history leading to this match.

Alright, dawho, for you I picked a classic: Antonio Honda vs Dick Togo (DDT, 01/30/2011)

www.dailymotion.com/video/x28cayb

Wow, this was awesome! To make a point as to how into this match I was, I paused my lunch to finish and review it rather than miss a key transition or forget a detail that I liked. Thanks a lot for the match!!

Review is here.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/22188-dick-togo-vs-antonio-honda-ddt-sweet-dreams-013011/&do=findComment&comment=5583808

For Nintendo logic I have an interesting one off appearance of fujiwara in ajpw from 1997 teaming with kikuchi to face off against fuchi and Kawada. This is his first ever appearance for Baba and will not appear for ajpw again until after the noah split.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwpbsa8C2iSmVkdmLUIxX1dWMTA/view?usp=drivesdk

This match was pretty interesting, although mainly of value to All Japan completists. The highlight, of course, was Kawada and Fujiwara squaring off. I was taken aback at how little respect Fujiwara showed to Kawada. He ate him up on the mat and treated his kicks and chops as little more than minor annoyances. Between this and their 2001 match (which I haven't seen, only read Phil's review), I kind of wonder if the two had legit heat. Other than a few minutes of grapplefuck with Fujiwara and Fuchi, there's not much more to this match. It should be noted that Kawada beat Kikuchi with a cross armbreaker. I guess they didn't want to risk him taking a powerbomb in the condition he was in.

It should be noted that Kawada beat Kikuchi with a cross armbreaker. I guess they didn't want to risk him taking a powerbomb in the condition he was in.

I'm unfamiliar with what you're referencing, what was wrong with Kikuchi at this time?

Review of the match migs sent me: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/41261-the-briscoes-vs-the-young-bucks-23-falls-roh-040217/

It was decent and better than I dreaded it would be given the people involved and the length of the video.

For migs I have taken a look through his past posts and many of them center around the early 2000s indies from the 2000s project. My match for him features one of the top guys from that period in Indie wrestling in NOAH in 2004 a promotion that i have not seen you talk about (at least in the last year)

Low Ki vs Yoshinobu kanemaru GHC junior title 10.09.2004

At SPS

William Regal vs Evan Bourne (WWE Live Event in Romania ??/04/2011)

Since I couldn't find an exact date for this one I didn't post it in the Match Archive but I'll post it here.

First let me say thanks to Rah for a great choice as I loved Evan Bourne in that era and Regal is always great.

So the atmosphere was enthusiastic. Evan was pretty over and Regal plays the villain tremendously like always. Evan played as clean cut white meat babyface as you could get in today's world and the crowd was all for him while Regal came off as the perfect balance between a bullying sneering heel blended with shades of cowardliness.

Everytime Evan managed to get something going or build any momentum Regal went through his bag of underhanded/rough-handed tricks to stop and stifle him.

Finally once Evan started to put it together he caught Regal with his nice jumping knee and got him into position to hit the Air Bourne for the clean pin and big pop.

This was black and white heel/babyface and a great crowd for it as they were into it the whole way which speaks to how well both played their roles. It was a quick match that told the story and I'd give it **3/4. Good stuff and would recommend it as a fun watch.

At SPS

William Regal vs Evan Bourne (WWE Live Event in Romania ??/04/2011)

Since I couldn't find an exact date for this one I didn't post it in the Match Archive but I'll post it here.

First let me say thanks to Rah for a great choice as I loved Evan Bourne in that era and Regal is always great.

So the atmosphere was enthusiastic. Evan was pretty over and Regal plays the villain tremendously like always. Evan played as clean cut white meat babyface as you could get in today's world and the crowd was all for him while Regal came off as the perfect balance between a bullying sneering heel blended with shades of cowardliness.

Everytime Evan managed to get something going or build any momentum Regal went through his bag of underhanded/rough-handed tricks to stop and stifle him.

Finally once Evan started to put it together he caught Regal with his nice jumping knee and got him into position to hit the Air Bourne for the clean pin and big pop.

This was black and white heel/babyface and a great crowd for it as they were into it the whole way which speaks to how well both played their roles. It was a quick match that told the story and I'd give it **3/4. Good stuff and would recommend it as a fun watch.

The date I found for that match on cagematch and history of the wwe.com was 21/04/11 in the romexpo dome in Bucharest

@concrete1992

I saw that you didn't much care for Killer Khan's match against Bob Backlund, so here's a match that I hope presents him in a better light.

Khan had an incredibly fascinating career. His overall output isn't that great, but he seemed to produce at least one all-time great match everywhere he went except the WWF.

Week 11

Joeg hasn't responded for a bit so he's out for now. I didn't have time to check the pairings so hopefully everyone doesn't have who they had last week.

migs

concrete1992

HeadCheese

shodate

SPS

WingedEagle

Nintendo Logic

Jetlag

Richeyedwards

Jmare007

laz

siredgar

Matt D

Rah

dawho5

Dawho, you're the odd man out so I'll double up with you. I'll have something for both you and Rah asap.