Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if I'm putting together a spreadsheet for this, I'll toss on everyone's stuff too (I've got some yearbook access but not a whole lot else right now). Aiming to have things together by Tuesday for the pilot. Definitely happy for the interest. I think this can be a really good thing for the year.

I have, wwe, Progress, wxw, and powerbomb tv. I will probably nix either wxw or powerbomb for a bit after a month or so. I need to get back into rotating better.

I JUST signed up for powerbomb yesterday so I haven't even dug in yet.

Edit: I am going to nix wXw and sign up for highspots today. I have done most of the searching through the backlogs I wanted on wXw and highspots carries their big events.

Loving the way they flow. You go from WCW to WWF to USWA to All Japan with some more underground stuff like the occasional Japanese shootstyle, joshi and lucha libre match to add even more variety. Some of it is garbage, but the good stuff and the unexpected way more than make up for it. That and you see what everybody was doing at roughly the same time, fascinating to see in a lot of ways.

Loving the way they flow. You go from WCW to WWF to USWA to All Japan with some more underground stuff like the occasional Japanese shootstyle, joshi and lucha libre match to add even more variety. Some of it is garbage, but the good stuff and the unexpected way more than make up for it. That and you see what everybody was doing at roughly the same time, fascinating to see in a lot of ways.

What he said. They remain the best.

Great, I look forward to eventually getting the whole set. To me it seems like the best way to really get a nice spread of the wrestling scenes of the day in a way that is gonna be more economical time wise as with day to day life now I don't have the hours I used to have to spend hours and hours day after day watching massive back logs of wrestling haha.

Also then it can let me see what I want to seek out in more complete run form for various groups and promotions :)

Ok. Here are the initial randomized pairings for the pilot based on the people who showed interest. If I missed you, let us know. If you can't do it this week, let us know. Randomizing with everyone's networks was a bit too tricky first thing on the Tuesday after New Years so either check in the thread or ask people via PM, etc. If a match isn't easily available and it's not clear, maybe check with your partner via PM to see if they have access to it. It's generally fast and loose. I put a 30 minute limit on matches, but I'm sure exceptions can be made if the other party is willing. Reviews can go here too but they should ultimately end up in the MDA. This is a pilot so it's possible there will be kinks to work out. There's no real time limit to this but let's try to move swiftly.

Laz

Richeyedwards

CapitalTTruth

Jmare007

soup23

Tim Evans

topropepodcast

SirEdgar

WingedEagle

Beast

dawho5

Matt D

PeteF3

Wahoo's Leg

Grimmas

Rah

C.S.

AstroBoy

SPS

Nintendo Logic

I'll have a match selected for dawho later on today and will post what that match is here.

Ok. Here's my pick for dawho:

I took a quick look and saw that he's going through the 1991 yearbook right now. He's not QUITE to this point, but this is probably my favorite WCW match of 1991 that DIDN'T make the yearbook.

Barry Windham vs Arn Anderson from the November 2, 1991 episode of WCW Pro. It's a pretty deep cut so I don't think it's on youtube, but the episode is on dailymotion with watchable VQ. Match starts at the 24:00 minute mark.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ivgm2

Here's what I wrote about it three years ago:

http://placetobenation.com/the-column-beyond-the-great-hunt/

Ok. Here's my pick for dawho:

I took a quick look and saw that he's going through the 1991 yearbook right now. He's not QUITE to this point, but this is probably my favorite WCW match of 1991 that DIDN'T make the yearbook.

Barry Windham vs Arn Anderson from the November 2, 1991 episode of WCW Pro. It's a pretty deep cut so I don't think it's on youtube, but the episode is on dailymotion with watchable VQ. Match starts at the 24:00 minute mark.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ivgm2

Here's what I wrote about it three years ago:

http://placetobenation.com/the-column-beyond-the-great-hunt/

It's a belter.

I remember Parv and Chad watched it too (one of them did, anyway).....

Rah watch this:

On it!

Real Americans vs Rhodes Bros (WWE Main Event 18th March 2014)

From memory you're someone who values smart wrestling and this match epitomizes that for me. While it's not a MotDC or anything, I think it's one of the smartest worked matches from WWE in the 2010s - everything has purpose, build and reason. Enjoy!

Alright for Nintendo Logic for an easy test run and since we both have NJPW World I've chosen Yamada vs Funaki 12.27.1987 which I just watched myself and enjoyed.

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00081_1_2

Thanks. I'll try to write it up later tonight.

For you, I pick Io Shirai vs. Shayna Baszler from Stardom on 2/23/17. You had mentioned wanting to get into joshi, and I enjoyed this match quite a bit.

https://rutube.ru/video/ad1961e437db7fd81e86d81f4cb2c6d2/

Can I still join in? I need to get watching again.

Absolutely. We've got an even 20 right now, so if someone else either pops up (or drops out), we can slot you in. Otherwise, once someone's finishes, if they want to do another for this week, they can pair off with you (and if no one manages it, I'll do double duty with you).

I found that WingedEagle said his favorite feud was Hogan/Savage so I'm giving him a match they had from a rare taped Detroit House Show at Joe Louis Arena (4/26/1986). It's on the Hogan Unreleased Archives DVD and at this link:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x68f9g

Features Ken Resnick's debut on WWF commentary and Jack Reynolds' last appearance.