Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Week 12.

Sam didn't post anything so he's out until he indicates that he's back. SPS is on haitus. WingedEagle is taking a week off. I assume Migs is still off.

JoeG is in and paired with me as a make-up. I tried harder than usual to get new pairings this time around. oldbirds, I'm assuming you're in. Let me know if not.

Matt D
joeg
shodate
laz
siredgar
HeadCheese
Richeyedwards
oldbirds
Jmare007
Nintendo Logic
dawho5
rah
EDIT:
jetlag
laz (if you're both willing)
Jetlag, you're the odd man out this week. So i'll double up if no one else wants to jump in.

I don't need a match this week, but if anyone wants my recommendation, here's Masa Takanishi vs. Trexxus. For the South East Asia Title~!

I have absolutely no idea what this is, but I'll watch it along with whatever joe sends me, to broaden my horizons and better myself as a human being.

You're not obliged to watch this, but if I were to make you watch a match this week, it'd be this.

A midget match, with a few midget spots (built to as if they were high spots and not just rote), but generally worked like 15-20 minute 70s NWA title match.

I don't need a match this week, but if anyone wants my recommendation, here's Masa Takanishi vs. Trexxus. For the South East Asia Title~!

Ok, quick shift. Jetlag, you're saved from the (perfectly good) midget match. shodate will not be with us at this point so laz, you're with Jetlag. You can watch this. Toss something Jetlag's way.

For Laz, let's go with Tanahashi/Elgin vs Okada/Moose from ROH Global Wars '16:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dunhk

People probably won't like the review I give since I really dislike modern NJPW, but I'm looking forward to it.

In return, Edger of the Sirs, I give you Hayabusa vs. Masato Tanaka, FMW ZEN 3/13/98

https://youtu.be/aIy7KROtQeo

Finally got the chance to watch the match Laz sent to me last week. First of all, it felt so unusual for me to watch both Hayabusa and Masato Tanaka outside of a deathmatch environment. Even more seeing Tanaka sell his opponent's head drops and such. I liked seeing both guys coming to the ring from different sides of the arena. As I expected, both men starting off quickly with that dropkicks sequence and that Hayabus Asai Moonsault. Like I said, it felt weird to see Tanaka sell Hayabusa's Dragon Suplexes throughout the match when I virtually had never seen Tanaka do it when I saw him in ECW but that's a nice change. Things slowed down a bit in the middle but the pace picked up shortly afterwards in what I thought was a very enjoyable. I thought that Tanaka's end would come from an eventual accumulation of Dragon Suplexes but turns out it's a Falcon Arrow doing the trick. That match allowed me to appreciate the agility of a big man like Hayabusa was. Overall, pretty fun match. I'd give it *** 1/4 stars

Sorry for the delay in my review of the match Jetlag gave me. I'm in one of my "don't really give a shit about wrestling" moods and it's hard for me to find get motivated. But I'll get to it soon, I promise. In the meantime, here's my match for Jmare007. It's Ricky Steamboat vs. Lord Steven Regal from a WCW house show.

@Dawho5

Love that you linked me to Akiyama - I'm a huge fan of him and think he's had a tremendous career that's gone under the radar. I'll give you my own Akiyama:

CHAMPION CARNIVAL 2013 - FINAL:

07. KAI vs Jun Akiyama

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzpfai

Please let me know if you've seen this, I'll swap it out, if so.

Sorry for the delay in my review of the match Jetlag gave me. I'm in one of my "don't really give a shit about wrestling" moods and it's hard for me to find get motivated. But I'll get to it soon, I promise. In the meantime, here's my match for Jmare007. It's Ricky Steamboat vs. Lord Steven Regal from a WCW house show.

That was awesome, Regal and Fuji were perfect as the heels and Steamboat of course was superb as the babyface. Man did the crowd loved Steamer, that blond lady from first row was fucking testifying any time Ricky got any offense going :lol:

@Dawho5

Love that you linked me to Akiyama - I'm a huge fan of him and think he's had a tremendous career that's gone under the radar. I'll give you my own Akiyama:

CHAMPION CARNIVAL 2013 - FINAL:

07. KAI vs Jun Akiyama

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzpfai

Please let me know if you've seen this, I'll swap it out, if so.

I had not seen this before. If it's puro from after 2009 (and most of the matches from the 2000s) I haven't seen it and usually with good reason. The style doesn't appeal to me and I had a hard time getting into this despite liking Akiyama in most of his matches I've seen.

joeg gave me Spinks vs Onita which was very much my kind of match. Simple, pure, visceral; a pro wrestling mythology in two acts.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/41426-atsushi-onita-vs-leon-spinks-fmw-052492/

And as a bonus, dawho was kind enough to give me Fujinami vs Nishimura which felt like a self-aware modern match with very old trappings, centered around limbwork and a mentor-student vibe and executed well.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/21805-tatsumi-fujinami-vs-osamu-nishimura-muga-092506/

Thanks to you both.

We'll reshuffle later on today (or maybe tomorrow morning).

Anyone on/off this week?

Breaks vs Kamikaze

We start with a lot of back and forth mat work, very flashy but without ever seeming too silly, breaks puts in some character work to rile up the crowd a little. Towards the end of the first round some of the strikes come out with a dropkick and slap from kamikaze and a slap from breaks. Time runs out with breaks going for a breaks special and Kamikaze rolling through, nice first round nothing too special yet.

At one minute 15 seconds of the second round Kamikaze scores the first fall with a rolling reverse clutch after goading breaking in with some slaps and kicks. Breaks has been a master crowd worker so far as he has been in all of my limited viewing of him.

After the restart breaks is laser focused on the left arm of Kamikaze going for the breaks special at every moment, this puts across his desperation well. He takes advantage of a downed Kamikaze with the breaks special and gets an instant tap.

We then get one of the most bizarre finishes I have ever seen, Kamikaze builds up a come back hits a running chop then goes to run the ropes and just falls out, injures his leg and breaks wins, it was a really bad finish to a fun match.

I really enjoyed this, Breaks has been a great crowd worker in everything I have seen him in and this was no exception. I really should watch more world of sport ***1/4

That was really enjoyable, For Oldbirds here is a match from 1997 AJPW I saw just this morning, it is a match that is VERY different to what was going on in the main events of AJPW at the time with some really good matwork between these four guys.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwpbsa8C2iSmWlpxZmZIME03VG8