Pro Wrestling Only

Japan Wrestling Association January 1986

gordi

I definitely cannot bet against Baba, Jumbo & Misawa to win that tournament! BUT I'm most excited for the Middleweight title match. This will be GREAT.

I wouldn't bet against them, either. Hope you enjoy Tiger Mask vs Black Tiger

I was more excited about the UWF vs. Mexico match myself.

And I also hope you enjoy how that one turns out!

Wow! That's one stacked tournament. Cant wait!

You don't have to wait any longer :lol:

JWA TRIOS TOURNAMENT DAY 1 - January 14th, Osaka Japan

Kuniaki Kobayashi vs Hiroshi Hase

There are two things we want to accomplish with this match: We want to let the gifted dojo graduate, Hase, show off some of what he can do; and we want to allow Kobayashi to get some of his heat back after losing cleanly to Tiger Mask. So, we give the rookie a long shine segment to start things off, and let the crowd get behind Hase before Kobayashi starts heeling it up, cheating his way into the heat segment. Then, eventually, a couple of nice hope spots for Hase before Kobayashi finally finishes him off with a Fisherman Suplex.

Mighty Animals vs Mutoh and Yamada

This is a fairly similar situation (the veterans need to look good coming off of a loss, but we are always keeping an eye on building up or young boys) so it’s a fairly similar structure. It’s a cliché for a reason, and that reason is that it works. This match feels different from the opener, though, because Mighty Inoue and Animal Hamaguchi use teamwork and quick tags to get the advantage, rather than cheating to win. Mutoh and Yamada’s more flashy and modern style of wrestling makes for a nice contrast with Mighty Animal’s classic 70s style junior work. In the end, the veterans take the match when Hamaguchi catches Mutoh with an Airplane Spin into a Samoan Drop.

Yoshiaki Yatsu, “Carpenter” Teranishi, and Shiro Koshinaka vs Terry Gordy, Umanosuke Ueda, and Tatsutoshi Goto

This match is the Trios Tournament Alternates match. If any of the winning teams in the tournament are unable to continue, then the winner of this match will take their place. That’s probably not gonna happen, it’s just a way to add a little drama to this match. The match itself is a short and intense brawl. Yatsu, still angry about being pinned by Gordy after a Hansen-assisted Spike Piledriver in the Tokyo Dome, goes after Gordy with a vengeance. Yatsu’s temper gets the better of him, though, and he finds himself isolated in the Choshu’s Army corner. He fights savagely to escape and his partners do their best to make the save… but this time it’s Ueda assisting on the Spike Piledriver that puts Yatsu away.

JWA Middleweight Champion Tiger Mask vs Black Tiger

The first several minutes of this match are clean, scientific, back-and-forth mat work. That eventually escalates into some nasty strike exchanges. With Sayama having the advantage both on the mat and on the feet, Black Tiger resorts to cheating, and once again Sayama finds himself on the receiving end of a mask-ripping attack. Turn-about is fair play, though, and after Tiger Mask Catches Black Tiger with a Jumping Spin Kick, he goes after Rocco’s mask and almost succeeds in ripping it off. With both men bloody and both masks torn, they face off toe to toe in the middle of the ring. After a withering exchange of strikes, Tiger Mask hits a High Roundhouse Kick to Black Tiger’s temple to end the match and defend his title.

JWA Trios Tournament Round 1 Matches:

Fujiwara, Takada, and Funaki vs Dos Caras, El Canek, and Gran Hamada

What distinguishes this match is the contrast between the realistic UWF-style mat-work of Fujiwara, Takada, and Hamada; and the flashier and more complex Lucha-style mat-work of Dos Caras, Gran Hamada, and El Canek. It isn’t quite so cut and dried as that, however: At one point, Fujiwara gets a huge pop out of the crowd by locking a Gory Special on Hamada. The bulk of the match is applying, escaping, and countering submission holds of all types, with a touch of striking and high-flying thrown in. In the end, Fujiwara catches Hamada with a Hell Hook and taps him out to advance his team into the next round. There is a nice show of respect after the match, with both teams bowing in the ring.

Choshu, Rusher Kimura, and Kensuke vs The Machines

This is the “good vs evil” match of the first round, with Choshu’s Army relentlessly attacking, distracting the ref, and bending the rules; and The Machines relying on ring strategy and team-work to keep coming back. KImura gets a close 2.9 count on Machine #2, and Choshu nearly forces Machine #3 to submit to a Scorpion Hold… but in the end it is Super Strong Machine earning a bit of an upset victory with a Machine Suplex on the muscular rookie, Kensuke.

Tenryu, Hara, and Kawada vs Atisanoe, Afi, and Hickerson

This (obviously) is the stiff, nasty, hard-hitting hoss match of the first round. All six men dish it out and take it, giving us 25 minutes of sweat-flying action. About 22 minutes in, Siva Afi and Toshiaki Kawada earn a loud response from the crowd by going toe to toe in the ring. Kawada takes the worst of the strike exchange, but manages to roll out of the way of Afi’s Flying Splash attempt and tag in Hara. Hara almost takes Afi’s head off with a vicious Lariat, and then Tenryu is tagged in. He finishes Afi, and the match, with a Powerbomb.

Baba, Jumbo, and Misawa vs Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, and Hashimoto

URnaUhk.jpg

We figured that the big moment of this match was going to be Jumbo and Fujinami facing off, so we decided to delay that as long as possible. The crowd, however, starts out hot even though it is the two young boys, Misawa and Hashimoto, who begin the match in the ring. The in-ring action is hard, but clean. There are a lot of changes in momentum, and both teams earn good pops with hot tags. Kimura almost pins Misawa after a Leg Lariat. Fujinami catches Baba in the Dragon Sleeper, but Jumbo makes the save. Baba gets a 2.9 on Hashimoto after a Big Boot. In the end, it is Jumbo that takes the win, with a Back Suplex Hold on Kengo Kimura. All six men shake hands after the match and pose together for the crowd, and the magazine photographers.

You had me right from the start with Kobayashi. I like your realistic building of the young guys. Sometimes I have to remind myself where certain wrestlers are at this stage in their careers. Exciting Tiger Mask/Black Tiger match! Loved all the tournament matches. I found the Fujiwara/Takada/Funaki vs. Canek/Caras/Hamada match so interesting. Great contrast of styles. Good win for the Machines. Tenryu scores the fall in an epic match! Had a feeling Baba's team would come out on top (LOL). Cool that Jumbo gets the finish as I've always enjoyed his work. Great start to the tournament. You have really captured the landscape of Japanese wrestling.

Card for Day 2 of the Trios Tournament, January 24th in Tokyo:

JWA Trios Tournament 2nd Round Matches:

The Machines vs Fujiwara, Takada, and Funaki

Baba, Jumbo, and Misawa vs Tenryu, Hara, and Kawada

Non-Tournament matches:

Kensuke vs Masa Chono

Hiroshi Hase vs Masa Fuchi

Choshu, Terry Gordy, Rusher Kimura, and Siva Afi vs Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Keiiji Mutoh and Shinya Hashimoto

JWA Middleweight Champion Tiger Mask vs Gran Hamada

JWA Trios Tournament Final Match: TBD

JWA Trios Tournament Semi-Final and Final

January 24th 1986, Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan (Sumo Hall)

JWA Trios Tournament Semi-Final: The Machines vs Fujiwara, Takada, and Funaki

The Machines came out with new masks and, apparently, new names: They were introduced as Super Strong Machine, Sumo Machine, and Very Tall Machine. This match fit pretty snugly into the genre of “Shoot Style vs Pro Wrestling Style.” Fujiwara, Takada, and Funaki stuck mainly to strikes, suplexes, and submission attempts. The Machines bounced off of the ropes and used a ton of quick tags and double-team maneuvers. They integrated pretty smoothly, though. I’d bet that a lot of fans didn’t really notice the contrast in styles. Sumo Machine and Tall Machine each took a nasty beating but managed to escape their predicaments. Eventually, Funaki was trapped in The Machines’ corner and absolutely crushed with a Triple-Team Powerbomb move. Super Strong Machine Covered for the pin, and the mild upset victory.

JWA Trios Tournament Semi-Final: Baba, Jumbo, and Misawa vs Tenryu, Hara, and Kawada

There was ZERO clash of styles in this one. It was pure uncut 100 percent Kings Road Style (almost) all the way. Baba may have moved a little slowly and had a smile plastered across his face the whole time, but he was throwing bombs in this one. Obviously, Misawa and Kawada did their fair share of selling, but even the young boys got to throw some nasty kicks, elbows, and sentons. Hara was vicious, stiffing everyone on Baba’s team without mercy. Everything in the match built up to Jumbo Tsuruta facing off against the JWA Champion, and when they finally locked up our fans blew the roof off of the Sumo Hall. They fought to a stalemate around the 20-minute mark and didn’t lock up again until 8 minutes later, with the clock ticking down and the other four men all brawling on the outside. Tenryu took the momentum with a Diving Back elbow Drop, then set up to finish Jumbo off with a Lariat… but Jumbo rolled through the pin attempt and managed to catch Tenryu and pin him instead with… well… it kinda looked like Jumbo used a handful of tights to secure the win… but that can’t be right, can it?

***BREAK***

Kensuke (with Riki Choshu) vs Masa Chono (with Tatsumi Fujinami)

After bringing the crowd to an early peak, we cooled things down a bit (but not too much) with a young boys match. The rookie Kensuke got to show off his nasty attitude and explosive power for a few minutes before Chono turned things around with a Running Big Boot to the face, after which he trapped Kensuke in a Stepover Toehold Facelock for the win. Chosu went after Chono during the post-match, causing Fujinami to go after Choshu, and the crowd reacted to that really well.

Hiroshi Hase vs Masa Fuchi

And another rookie got a few minutes to show what he’s got (And Hase seems to have quite a lot for someone just starting out)... but when Hase caught Fuchi with a Big Boot and went for the STF, that seemed to enrage the veteran Fuchi. He dropped Hase on his head with a Belly to Back Suplex. Twice. Then he whipped the rookie into the ropes, caught him with a kick to the face on the rebound, and forced Hase to submit to (you guessed it), a Stepover Toehold Facelock.

After that, a still-angry Fuchi got on the mic and challenged Chono to a match. He promised to kick Chono in the face and tap him out, too.

Choshu, Terry Gordy, Rusher Kimura, and Siva Afi vs Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Keiiji Mutoh and Shinya Hashimoto

Before the match began, Yoshiaki Yatsu ran out to ringside with a near-crazed look in his eye, and more or less begged Fujinami’s team to give him a spot in the match so that he could try and get his revenge on Terry Gordy. After some discussion, and much to the delight of the crowd, Mutoh agreed to step aside and allow Yatsu to compete.

Choshu, Terry Gordy, Rusher Kimura, and Siva Afi vs Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Yoshiaki Yatsu, and Shinya Hashimoto

Before Yatsu could settle his beef, Fujinami and Choshu had an issue of their own (from the Kensuke vs Chono match) to address. That discussion quickly got out of hand, however, and the match went bonzo gonzo about two minutes in. During the brawl that erupted, Yatsu was once again put into position to take a Spike Piledriver, this time with Siva Afi assisting. However, Yatsu managed to back-drop his way out of danger (earning a nice little pop from the crowd), after which he and Gordy brawled out to the floor. They were quickly followed by Hashimoto and Rusher Kimura, then by a furiously battling Choshu and Fujinami. Alone in the ring, Kengo Kimura and Afi exchanged chops and head-butts. Afi took the advantage, and whipped Kengo into the ropes, but Kimura surprised the muscular Samoan with an Inazuma Leg Lariat, and then tapped him out with a No-hands Sasori-gatame. After the match, Choshu and Fujinami had to be held apart. With everyone else focused on that, Gordy approached Yatsu and… extended his hand in a show of respect. “I’ll be back in Japan again, some day” Gordy said. “Maybe we can fight again.” Yatsu and Gordy shook on it.

JWA Middleweight Champion Tiger Mask vs Gran Hamada

This match was wrestled very differently from Tiger Mask’s violent battles with Kobayashi at the Dome and Black Tiger in Osaka. Certainly, there were some stiff strikes and painful-looking submission attempts… but the whole thing was worked in a sportsmanlike and respectful manner. For the most part, Sayama and Hamada flew around the ring at a crazy pace. Hamada got near-falls off of a Hurricanrana and a Tornado DDT, but in the end he fell victim to a Tiger Suplex in the middle of the ring.

Having successfully defended his title against top opponents three times in one month, Tiger Mask left the ring as the clear Ace of JWA’s Middleweight division.

***BREAK***

JWA Trio Tournament Final Match: Baba, Jumbo, and Misawa vs The Machines

j368wOj.jpg

Both teams were showing obvious signs of wear from their tough semi-final matches. Sumo Machine, in particular seemed a little worse for the wear as he carefully limped to the ring. Baba’s team recognized this and immediately went after Sumo Machine as soon as he tagged in, but the man behind the mask (Takashi “Onoumi” Ishikawa) was tough enough to gut it out and make the hot tag to Super Strong Machine. SSM earned the first near-fall for his team with a Machine Lariat on Misawa, but the young lion kicked out and made a hot tag of his own. Giant Baba vs Super Strong Machine provided an early high point in a match that had more than a few. The momentum swung back and forth with almost every tag. Neither team was able to establish a clear advantage and all six men wore down more and more as the match continued. At the 29-minute mark, Jumbo Tsuruta and Very Tall Machine were going toe to toe in the middle of the ring, just hitting each other as hard as possible. Neither man backed down an inch as the punches, chops, and sweat continued to fly. Finally, the bell sounded to signal that the 30-minute time limit had been reached. Both fighters collapsed from exhaustion.

Ring Announcer Hidekazu Tanaka and Managing Director Hisashi Shinma came into the ring to announce that there will be a re-match next month to determine the winner of the Trios Tournament … and that the victorious team will be named the JWA Trios Champions.

Interesting booking decision for the finals. That's quite unexpected but I like it!

I didn't expect it to turn out that way, either. I had planned for Baba, Jumbo, and Misawa to win the whole thing but then...

Tenryu and Jumbo are for sure not finished. That end to their match guarantees it. Kensuke and Choshu in the same corner would be confusing. :)

Definitely not finished! I watched a Hansen & Tenryu vs Jumbo and Yatsu match while I was in the process of writing the show up, and the crowd was just boo-ing Jumo through the whole thing. Imagine drawing sympathy heat for Hansen and Tenryu!! It put ideas in my head...

And: Kensuke & Choshu as a team is coming right up.

Very clever ending to the finals which sets up an incredible rematch with both teams rested. That should be awesome! Tiger Mask with a strong defense and no doubt about it, he's the champ. Like the handshake between Gordy and Yatsu. Shows the respect between two ring warriors.

Thanks! Gordy and Yatsu is one of my first attempts at a longer-term upper-mid-card story line. The whole "enemies with mutual respect" thing could take a couple of years to play out, depending on how often Gordy can pop over, and other factors. I'd like to get a couple more similar stories up and running this year.

I like the finish with Jumbo and Tenryu....Great win for Tiger Mask...Awesome tournament, not sure you could get away with that tournament final ending in the States but I feel like it works in Japan.

I feel like with Tenryu as Heavyweight Champ, Fujinami as Japanese Champ, and Tiger Mask as the Middleweight Champ we've got pretty solid Aces in each division. Choshu and Rusher Kimura are going to be tough to beat in the Tag Division, because they have lots of back up and will do what it takes to keep the straps. So, at first I thought that the best way to get a belt on Jumbo would be to create a Trios Title... but, maybe, it's more interesting if Jumbo doesn't get that one, either.

I will admit that I am not very familiar with wrestling in Japan but you do such a great job of explaining as you go that it makes it easy to follow. I do remember seeing a few matches if Tiger Mask in the states and he was awesome!

Thanks. As I say, I am also enjoying learning about 80s Japanese wrestling as I write these shows up. I also learn about 80s territory wrestlers and guys like Rock Riddle from reading everyone else's results. In particular, the World Wrestling Council stuff has been a real eye-opener for me.

Speaking of Carlos Colon, I totally recommend checking out his Bull Rope Match and Cage Match with Stan Hansen. Amazing action and incredible crowd heat.

I'm the same way. Certain territories weren't shown on TV in my area. Thank goodness for PWI as I got to read all about them. Then came Youtube and now I get the chance to see all this good stuff from the 80s that I read about. Gordi is right, a couple years ago I watched those Colon/Hansen matches and man it was insane. Also if anyone wants a good perspective of Japanese wrestling, check out the Tiger Jeet Singh documentary on Youtube. His son talks about the respect the Japanese fans have for the wrestlers and understands why his father spent a lot of time there.