Pro Wrestling Only

Sophie's wrestling choice

BigBadMick

The devil arrives at your door on January 1st 2018. He offers you two choices.

1. From this day forth, you may watch any wrestling that occurs. But only once. And you may watch any wrestling prior to this date - once - as long as you have not previously watched it.

(The Devil is telling you that you cannot rewatch any wrestling ever again).

2. From this day forth, you are only allowed to watch wrestling you have seen previously. You will not see any wrestling from the year 2018, or subsequent years until you die. In terms of wrestling prior to 2018, you may only rewatch footage you have already seen. On the plus side, you can watch this footage as often as you like.

(The Devil is telling you that you may only rewatch wrestling from this point forward).

Whatcha think?!!

I'd just close the door...

But in all seriousness I'd probably end up taking option 1 as there is a lot more wrestling available for viewing than ever before so who can imagine what the future holds. Also I've seen a good share but nowhere near all the classic stuff I've wanted so I could still see lots of awesome classics at least the one time without burning through everything too quickly at the pace I watch wrestling.

This concept seems like a Black Mirror concept for those who are fans of that show where everything new you could see but by way of some sort of punishment everything you've already seen is blacked or censored out forever haha.

Wow, no 2s yet.

Havent decided myself, but I do love savouring and rewatching stuff. And, in my 26 years as a fan, I like to think I've already watched most of the best American stuff already available, so that counts in option 2's favour (I can rewatch anything I've already seen from the past).

The devil had his diabolical hat on with this - it's not that straightforward. :P

There are a TON of old matches that I re-watch every year or two. I simply can't imagine living the rest of my life and never again enjoying 6/9/95, Andre vs Hansen, The I Quit Cage Match, Bret vs Austin, Bret vs Owen, IYH Canadian Stampede, Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs The Can-Am Express, Bryan vs Morishima, Rey vs Eddie, Liger vs Sano, Jumbo vs Tenryu, Baba vs Race, 12/16/88, Hokuto & Kandori vs. Kong & Nakano, 12/16/96 (M-Pro), Billyken vs Togo, The Cibernetico that El Felino won, Steamboat vs Savage, War Games, Funk vs Flair, CM Punk vs Samoa Joe, The Destroyer vs Baba, Dump vs Chiggy, Ohtani vs Liger, Bryan vs KENTA, The '92 Rumble, Han vs Tamura...

Hell, I can't imagine never again watching Goldberg vs The Giant, Hulk Hogan vs Nikolia Volkoff, Midnight Express vs. The James Boys, or some random John Tenta match that I liked...

If it's only about footage, then option number 2 by a f'n landslide.

If you are including live wrestling, then it's almost a dumb question. I refuse to give up the option to go to more live shows. Devil can go straight back to Hell, in that case.

Man, I'm going to go with option #2. If I can rewatch any and everything that I've ever seen then I would gladly chose to watch this stuff over and over again.

Its the stuff that I love and what's made me a fan etc. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of what's going on in wrestling currently and if we are talking about "until death" then, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna care for or about the state of wrestling in 20 years. Let alone have the time or energy to follow it.

I'd much rather go back and watch the classics when I'm old and grey.

I'll be plenty happy with what I have watched until now. All of the US stuff I have loved and made fun of, lots of Japanese classics from four different decades, Lucha Underground & ARSION. Yeah, in a heartbeat. After a while, you get happy just revisiting your classics, so n°2 is a rather easy choice. At some point, trying to watch everything new that happens is just mass consumption and gavage for the sake of it (not to mention will end up failing anyway, for obvious reasons), especially if you only watch stuff once. It's like those people who have already "listened" to 10.000 albums at 22 years old and have rated them to boot. It's ridiculous. So there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely a person that gets more excited about keeping up with new stuff and the potential for pushing the artform forward (whether it's wrestling or music or movies), and when you combine that with all the wonderful wrestling from the past that I haven't seen yet, it's option 1 for me and it's not remotely close.

Glad this thread is still going - I think it's a really interesting question.

I was listening to the 605 Christmas special and during the group discussion someone asked what modern wrestling everyone watches. Replies were in the 'bit of this/bit of that' range. Most of them were fans since the 70s and 80s, which gets me wondering if that's the normal way of most wrestling fans - you stay interested/current until a certain point and then just delve into your memories and nostalgia when it's not 'your wrestling' anymore.

I'm 39 and can already see my viewing tilting more towards 70s/80s/90s as time passes. I'm very specific about what current matches and angles I watch now (I wouldn't dream of watching anything live). That's partly due to the huge amount of current wrestling out there, but even if there was less I think I'd still be picky.

Is Meltzer a massive exception to that?

For the people that picked #1 here or in their mind, are you searching for a match yet to happen or a match you've just not seen? I ask because, if Lucifer is calling the shots, this is a one and done type scenario.

Are you delaying the inevitable perfect match viewing or are you forever seeking the perfect match?

Can you be satisfied?

There are a TON of old matches that I re-watch every year or two. I simply can't imagine living the rest of my life and never again enjoying 6/9/95, Andre vs Hansen, The I Quit Cage Match, Bret vs Austin, Bret vs Owen, IYH Canadian Stampede, Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs The Can-Am Express, Bryan vs Morishima, Rey vs Eddie, Liger vs Sano, Jumbo vs Tenryu, Baba vs Race, 12/16/88, Hokuto & Kandori vs. Kong & Nakano, 12/16/96 (M-Pro 6-Man), Billyken vs Togo, The Cibernetico that El Felino won, Steamboat vs Savage, War Games, Funk vs Flair, CM Punk vs Samoa Joe, The Destroyer vs Baba, Dump vs Chiggy, Ohtani vs Liger, Bryan vs KENTA, The '92 Rumble, Han vs Tamura...

Hell, I can't imagine never again watching Goldberg vs The Giant, Hulk Hogan vs Nikolia Volkoff, Midnight Express vs. The James Boys, or some random John Tenta match that I liked...

If it's only about footage, then option number 2 by a f'n landslide.

If you are including live wrestling, then it's almost a dumb question. I refuse to give up the option to go to more live shows. Devil can go straight back to Hell, in that case.

I agree. I'm fucking old. I think I am ok with never seeing a new wrestling match again.

Option 1 is not only current wrestling, it says "And you may watch any wrestling prior to this date - once - as long as you have not previously watched it." that's one of the main reason I chose it. I can keep up with any good shit that comes out in the future AND keep finding classics from the past. I'm fine with not rewatching in that scenario.

I'm kinda surprised so many people stay with Option 2 considering that would keep them out of unearthing more holy grails or whatever territory footage that has been unseen.

Option 1 is not only current wrestling, it says "And you may watch any wrestling prior to this date - once - as long as you have not previously watched it." that's one of the main reason I chose it. I can keep up with any good shit that comes out in the future AND keep finding classics from the past. I'm fine with not rewatching in that scenario.

I'm kinda surprised so many people stay with Option 2 considering that would keep them out of unearthing more holy grails or whatever territory footage that has been unseen.

That's a good point!

If I'd agreed to this on Jan 1st this year, I'd never have seen MS-1 vs Sangre Chicana. :(

Still... I'm not changing my mind. I'd probably give the same answer for books, movies, TV, Music... I, too, am old.

I'd take option 1 on sports like football and hockey, though. :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...