Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2018 Predictions

Gutenberger

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about the women's Rumble but I'm guessing Rusev for the other. I honestly have no clue, but Rusev is a favorite, he's pretty over right now, and why not? They let Del Rio win a 40-man Rumble and then lose in the 'Mania curtain jerk. Vince McMahon has won a Rumble before. It's not exactly a prestigious thing. At least Rusev would be different & he's over right now. They can use the Feb. PPV to set-up the 'Mania matches they want anyway.

Outside of WWE some how miraculously getting AJ Lee & CM Punk to comeback, I don't think I'm much going to care about Wrestlemania season anyway. Just going to be more McMahon wankfest.

I'm changing my Rumble win prediction from Reigns to Nakamura. Nak will need the big rumble win for his tittle match, reigns wont.

If that does happen, I hope he turns it up for the Styles match since I’ll be there. I was really pumped at the thought back when I bought my plane ticket to NOLA but he has been so uninspired.

I'll also be there!

My gut tells me that Nakamura will show up big for Mania and then more or less ride out his contract and go back to Japan. I feel like he is checking boxes at this point. A mania main event and a title run would more or less put WWE in the bag for him. Nakamura shows up at big shows. Their match in NJPW a couple years back was excellent (IMO).

Nakamura has no business winning the Royal Rumble or "main eventing" WrestleMania (it wouldn't be a true main event because Smackdown will forever be treated as the castoff b-brand no matter what), and I say that as someone who was red hot for him after his NXT debut against Sami Zayn. He truly seemed like something special. However, even before his main roster call-up, he was already losing his shine. Tepid matches/lack of chemistry against overrated workers like Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode didn't help, but those were masterpieces compared to what we've seen since (except maybe the Cena match, which was good but not great). Granted, there's only so much you can do with "That Indian Guy" but Nakamura has clearly been phoning it in. If he wins the Royal Rumble, get ready to hear something worse than boos: crickets. No one will react or care. Sure, he'd have a banger of a match against AJ Styles. Everyone would be quick to credit Nak for "going big" on the big stage. But no, it would be AJ carrying his ass and delivering a good match because AJ almost always delivers good matches (unless it's against KO). Even the lazy lump of shit Brock Lesnar looked good against AJ. At this point, AJ Styles could take Disco Inferno to a five-star (well, okay, maybe 3 and 3/4) match at WrestleMania.

I'm calling a safely booked Rumble night with surprises coming from overbooked matches and angles.

Womens Rumble Winner: Asuka

Mens Rumble Winner: Reigns

Universal Title: Brock pins Kane

World Title: Styles escapes because Zayn and Owens get in each others way and/or Shane interference.

Setting Up for Mania (Some of this will be done at the rumble, some after)

Brock vs Reigns (US Title vs Universal Title - Hogan/Warrior Style)

Styles vs Nakamura

Strowman vs HHH

Asuka vs Bliss

Taker vs Cena

I am not really sure what they will do with Shane/Zayn/KO. My gut says they are planning some big multi-man match planned that will ultimately feel like a let down (something like Zayn/Owens vs Orton/Shane). I kind of hope they are setting up Zayn turning on Owens and blowing off the Shane thing at Roadblock or something, giving us Zayn vs Owens and Shane vs Angel.

I think this is probably true. Still trying to figure out where Angle fits into Wrestlemania. Will they do father vs son? Where are they ultimately going there? I'm also expecting Bray, New Day, Usos, Balor, The Bar, Rollins, Samoa Joe, Miz, and maybe the Bludgeon Brothers to have matches on the show, but I don't know what they'll do or if they can fit them all in without multi-mans.

I don't care about the women's Rumble but I'm guessing Rusev for the other. I honestly have no clue, but Rusev is a favorite, he's pretty over right now, and why not? They let Del Rio win a 40-man Rumble and then lose in the 'Mania curtain jerk. Vince McMahon has won a Rumble before. It's not exactly a prestigious thing. At least Rusev would be different & he's over right now. They can use the Feb. PPV to set-up the 'Mania matches they want anyway.

Outside of WWE some how miraculously getting AJ Lee & CM Punk to comeback, I don't think I'm much going to care about Wrestlemania season anyway. Just going to be more McMahon wankfest.

The womens Rumble is very uninteresting. Suprised they actually want to do 2 Rumbles on 1 PPV. Del Rio winning the first ever 40 man Rumble was a dumb move as I don't feel he was ready to go over big, Id have rather had Jericho just win the thing and do another Edge/Jericho Wrestlemania.

The Vince Rumble win as irked fans for years considering Austin won anyway via rulebook decision the next night, don't see why they couldn't have just made Steve the winner instead and then do the challenge on Raw the next night for the cage match.

This Rumble don't really have much interest going in unlike last year when they had the big Goldberg Im winning the thing so there was a reason to watch. Even doing the whole lets give Orton the win because he juiced for Lesnar 4 months earlier was a bit silly.

I wouldn't be suprised if they have Reigns beat the previous record as he is the golden boy, Id rather see Cena win but thats just a preference.

I'm calling a safely booked Rumble night with surprises coming from overbooked matches and angles.

Womens Rumble Winner: Asuka

Mens Rumble Winner: Reigns

Universal Title: Brock pins Kane

World Title: Styles escapes because Zayn and Owens get in each others way and/or Shane interference.

Setting Up for Mania (Some of this will be done at the rumble, some after)

Brock vs Reigns (US Title vs Universal Title - Hogan/Warrior Style)

Styles vs Nakamura

Strowman vs HHH

Asuka vs Bliss

Taker vs Cena

I am not really sure what they will do with Shane/Zayn/KO. My gut says they are planning some big multi-man match planned that will ultimately feel like a let down (something like Zayn/Owens vs Orton/Shane). I kind of hope they are setting up Zayn turning on Owens and blowing off the Shane thing at Roadblock or something, giving us Zayn vs Owens and Shane vs Angel.

I think this is probably true. Still trying to figure out where Angle fits into Wrestlemania. Will they do father vs son? Where are they ultimately going there? I'm also expecting Bray, New Day, Usos, Balor, The Bar, Rollins, Samoa Joe, Miz, and maybe the Bludgeon Brothers to have matches on the show, but I don't know what they'll do or if they can fit them all in without multi-mans.

Yeah, it feels like they are setting up a lot of big singles matches and even with a long show they are going to run out of room.

There will obviously be a big multi person ladder match somewhere in there. I have a feeling we are getting at least one multi team tag team match, maybe even cross brand.

I have been holding out hope that we somehow, some way get The Bar vs The Revival, even if its on the pre show. I can see them wanting the Revival to work Rollins/Jordan though if they keep the belts on them.

I really hope Joe gets a good spot on the card. I think he has worked really hard all year, been deceptively good, and helped a lot of other guys shine.

As for this Nakamura talk, Wrestlemania hasn't been about who deserves it for a while. Nakamura in a title match (main, co-main, who cares what you call it because it will be advertised heavily) will appeal to some key subsections of fans, particularly international fans. I haven't paid careful attention to raw or sd, but I though Nak was getting decent reactions still. Let him eliminate Jason Jordan at the end of the Rumble or something and everyone will lose their minds for it. Especially if Nakamura can put in even a semi-inspired effort at the Rumble, he will win fans in that setting. I don't worry at all about the buzz surrounding Nakamura vs Styles. I think the match sells itself and I still think it will deliver in the ring.

I can see Nakamura winning. Orton was not in the mix at all when he won last year and Nakamura is in the same boat. In fact, he seems to be the latest addition to the Smackdown MIA milk carton. The Rumble isn't the star-making deal that it used to be, so Nakamura can win and face AJ in the fifth match and it's business as usual.

Personally I would love to see it go to The Miz. His segments almost always get the best reactions on TV. Miz vs. Brock is a fresh, unique match. At first glance that may seem odd on paper, but I think it would work. Miz would absolutely carry the promo end leading up to it. Instead of giving Miz his 17th Intercontinental title, step him up. He's ready this time.

I can see Nakamura winning. Orton was not in the mix at all when he won last year and Nakamura is in the same boat. In fact, he seems to be the latest addition to the Smackdown MIA milk carton. The Rumble isn't the star-making deal that it used to be, so Nakamura can win and face AJ in the fifth match and it's business as usual.

Personally I would love to see it go to The Miz. His segments almost always get the best reactions on TV. Miz vs. Brock is a fresh, unique match. At first glance that may seem odd on paper, but I think it would work. Miz would absolutely carry the promo end leading up to it. Instead of giving Miz his 17th Intercontinental title, step him up. He's ready this time.

I hope Miz in his entire career never wins the Rumble. He should have never gone over Cena at Mania, that year was just terrible.

I have no problem with Nakamura winning the Rumble but a big star name id rather see win it.

Not sure if I would enjoy Miz going for the Universal Title. I mean, he's spent not only like 4 years involved with the IC belt, but he elevated it to almost main event status in 2016. I think it would be pretty out of character for him to just abandon something that he gave newfound prestige and chase something else.

The IC belt is pretty much his baby right now.

Nakamura has no business winning the Royal Rumble or "main eventing" WrestleMania (it wouldn't be a true main event because Smackdown will forever be treated as the castoff b-brand no matter what), and I say that as someone who was red hot for him after his NXT debut against Sami Zayn. He truly seemed like something special. However, even before his main roster call-up, he was already losing his shine. Tepid matches/lack of chemistry against overrated workers like Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode didn't help, but those were masterpieces compared to what we've seen since (except maybe the Cena match, which was good but not great). Granted, there's only so much you can do with "That Indian Guy" but Nakamura has clearly been phoning it in. If he wins the Royal Rumble, get ready to hear something worse than boos: crickets. No one will react or care. Sure, he'd have a banger of a match against AJ Styles. Everyone would be quick to credit Nak for "going big" on the big stage. But no, it would be AJ carrying his ass and delivering a good match because AJ almost always delivers good matches (unless it's against KO). Even the lazy lump of shit Brock Lesnar looked good against AJ. At this point, AJ Styles could take Disco Inferno to a five-star (well, okay, maybe 3 and 3/4) match at WrestleMania.

Did he carry him last time they wrestled or...

Did he carry him last time they wrestled or...

Did who carry who? I hate he/him posts without any reference to who he and him are supposed to be. I mentioned a half-dozen people in my post.

I think it's abundantly clear that he's asking if AJ carried Nakamura the last time they wrestled.

I'm pretty sure he didn't "become" a guy that coasts for most of the year and turns it up for like 2 or 3 big matches per year in WWE. Many made the same criticisms when he was in NJPW hiding 3/4 of the year in 6 man tags and only showing up for WK and some select G1 matches.

WWE exposure made people have 2 wrong notions, often by two distinct camps of fans:

• His laziness is due to Vince's booking;
  • He needs to be carried to good matches.

No... AJ didn't carry Nak.

Nak has been a big match, cruise control guy for a while. Maybe not to this extent, but I don't know if he has had a schedule like this in the past.

Nakamura doesn't need to be carried he just needs to be motivated. That is - of course - in itself a problem, but its a different problem.

I'm pretty sure he didn't "become" a guy that coasts for most of the year and turns it up for like 2 or 3 big matches per year in WWE. Many made the same criticisms when he was in NJPW hiding 3/4 of the year in 6 man tags and only showing up for WK and some select G1 matches.

WWE exposure made people have 2 wrong notions, often by two distinct camps of fans:

• His laziness is due to Vince's booking;
  • He needs to be carried to good matches.

But I said neither.

I don't blame Vince and I didn't say everyone carries Nakamura, though I can see how my post could be misconstrued as such. Rather, I was pointing out how good AJ is as a carrier. If we get the same Nak we've been getting all along, it will be another AJ carry-job. If Nak turns up the volume though, of course it'll be tremendous. Like I said, I started out red hot for Nak. I was super into him after that Sami Zayn match. But it didn't take long for the bloom to fall off the rose, for all of the reasons already mentioned by me and several others in this thread.

I was more adressing common points people make about Nakamura than you yourself. My bad for not specifying it.

I would doubt Nakamura wouldn't turn it up for AJ, specially at a big stage like WM. He gave half a fuck for a lesser opponent in Roode for a lesser event, which is already more than he usually does.

However, fair fucks to him, he manages to stay relatively over with minimum to no effort. God bless that theme song.