Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Lutte Internationale January 1986

SirEdger

GREAT TV this week! Paul E. with a fantastic promo, Creatchman with a promise and a main event that sends the fans home happy. Probably a pretty good match at that. Paul E.'s group is on a roll. I like how you are using los Infernales as fresh opponents around the horn for people who have been around forever.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

January 17th, 1985

CNE Coliseum, Toronto, ON

-Chris Candido beat Ivan Putski in 17:47

-Bobby Fulton beat MS-1 in 6:42

-Satanico upsets Jos LeDuc in 8:05

NWA Canadian International TV Championship: Adrian Adonis (w/Paul E. Dangerously & Nasty Boys) beat "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal in 6:34 to retain

10-Men Tag: Pirata Morgan & The Creatchman Family (w/Eddy & Floyd Creatchman) beat Gilles Poisson, Hercules Ayala & The Invaders

-Bruce Hart beat Rip Rogers (w/Missy Hyatt) in 1:08 by DQ after interference from Eddie Gilbert & Rick Steiner. Keith Hart & Owen Hart, in a surprise appearance out of Puerto Rico, make the save. NWA Enforcer Bruno Sammartino comes out and restarts the match, ordering now a tag team match, banning Bruce Hart & Rip Rogers from ringside!

-Hyatt International (Eddie Gilbert & Rick Steiner, w/Missy Hyatt) beat Keith & Owen Hart after Gilbert used a rag of ether on Keith Hart at 10:24!

6-Men Tag: The Guerreros beat the Rougeau Brothers at 19:30 after Mando Guerrero pinned Jacques Rougeau with a handful of tights! Looks like Mando Guerrero earned himself a future NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship match!

Chris Candido is off to a nice start here.

Not sure how often the French stars wrestled in the Toronto area but I wonder how they would have been received as we are beginning to get into that Quebec Separatist time period in Canada. This could lead to some fun angles as the same people could be both heels or baby faces depending on where the event was.

Not sure how often the French stars wrestled in the Toronto area but I wonder how they would have been received as we are beginning to get into that Quebec Separatist time period in Canada. This could lead to some fun angles as the same people could be both heels or baby faces depending on where the event was.

As far as I know, it never was an issue when French Canadian wrestlers worked Toronto events (or anywhere else in Canada for that matter). Vince McMahon is probably the only one who was "willing" to explore that avenue whenever he booked the Forum. There's kind of a reason why Vince never booked Hogan vs Dino Bravo for the WWF championship in Montreal.

I think that at that time, the Soviet commies gimmick got so much heat everywhere in the world (or evil Orientals as well) that there wasn't really any need to go the Separatists route.

So Eddie Gilbert is there, Owen Hart makes his return and you had that awesome 6 man tag as the main? That is a great, great show and I'm sure anyone attending went home happy. Despite Jacques losing...

Yeah, that was something I was looking to do for a while but I was hesitant to pull the trigger on this when I had the Guerreros on my roster. And there was a lapse of time where I released Armand Rougeau because I didn't have anything for him and I brought him back for the Quebec Heavyweight Championship angle. Basically, you can thank rain for that because he did the groundwork for me by turning the Guerreros heel recently! ;)

***This week's TV episode featured highlights of recent appearances of Lutte talents Rick Martel & the Rougeau Brothers in the AWA and their current rivalries with the Playboy's Club & the Guerreros. The 6-men tag from last night in Toronto between the Rougeaus and the Guerreros is shown as well. A bonus match featuring The Great Samu squashing enhancement talent Chaz Debenham was shown. The broadcast team announces that next week's show will be the last in its current format as they're moving to a live format on February 1st. The show will emanate from Vernon, BC and will feature Richard Charland vs Rick Martel for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in the main event!***

January 18th, 1986

Oshawa, ON

-Rip Rogers beat The Botswana Beast (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 11:15

-Keith Hart beat Pirata Morgan in 12:57

$10,000 Bonus Match - Winner gets the bonus by retrieving the money bag suspended in the air: Bruce Hart beat Satanico in 8:24

-Brian Knobbs (w/Paul E. Dangerously & Jerry Sags) beat Chris Candido in 14:49

NWA Canadian International Tag Team Championship: The Vachons beat The Creatchman Family (Prince Alofa Fatu & The Great Samu, w/Floyd & Eddy Creatchman) in 18:37 to retain

-Richard Charland & King Tonga (w/Frenchy Martin) beat "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal (subbing for Raymond Rougeau, out sick) & NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Champion Jacques Rougeau in 16:22 when Tonga pinned Regal

-Master of Torture #2 beat Scott Irwin in 7:42

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Rick Martel beat "The Universal Hearthrob" Austin Idol in an absolute classic at 50:32 with a slingshot splash. Rick Martel avenges last year's loss in the finals of the Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup Finals!!!

As far as I know, it never was an issue when French Canadian wrestlers worked Toronto events (or anywhere else in Canada for that matter). Vince McMahon is probably the only one who was "willing" to explore that avenue whenever he booked the Forum. There's kind of a reason why Vince never booked Hogan vs Dino Bravo for the WWF championship in Montreal.

I think that at that time, the Soviet commies gimmick got so much heat everywhere in the world (or evil Orientals as well) that there wasn't really any need to go the Separatists route.

I have a clear and distinct memory of Al Tomko, when he was the promoter of Vancouver All Star Wrestling, complaining to me that, "Nobody cares about countries any more." What he meant was that our crowds would no longer boo somebody just based off of their being a foreigner. It was absolutely true at that time, in 1988. Booing someone *just* because they were Russian just felt kind of goofy then.

I know that, even now, we as fans might still be expected to boo a guy just because he's from Bulgaria and he loves his wife (or other hilariously ignorant reasons) but... in Vancouver, in the late 80s, it was obvious that xenophobic booking had already had its day and the crowd needed some other reason to get behind hating a bad guy wrestler.

I'm kind of curious how it was in other areas around Canada and the US at that time, and I'd assume that in certain places you could still count on the crowd to boo a guy because of the colour of his skin or his accent or whatever... but certainly less so than in the 50s, 60s, and 70s...

As far as I remember, especially in Quebec, it was more about the manager than anything. Eddy Creatchman was such an important figure in Lutte Internationale that anybody associated with the Creatchman Family would automatically being booed and get the rub. And eventually, people smarten up. They realized that Hans Schmidt wasn't really an evil German since his accent was anything BUT German.

January 19th, 1986

Dorset, ON

-NWA Canadian International Tag Team Champion Mad Dog Vachon beat Raymond Rougeau in 11:50

-The Great Samu (w/Floyd Creatchman) beat Matt Borne in 16:43

-Gino Brito beat Prince Alofa Fatu (w/Floyd Creatchman) in 9:50

-The Fantastics beat Los Infernales in 17:45

-Robert Fuller beat Dutch Mantell in 6:30

-Mando Guerrero beat Rip Rogers in 18:03

-Master of Torture #2 beat Richard Charland in 6:13

Quebec Heavyweight Championship 4 Corner Elimination Match: Armand Rougeau beat Chris Candido, Botswana Beast & Jos LeDuc to retain

Order of elimination:

-Chris Candido by Armand Rougeau

-Jos LeDuc by Botswana Beast

-Botswana Beast by Armand Rougeau

Having lived in the South all my life I'd never really seen anything from Lutte but I've recently found some stuff on youtube and have really enjoyed and it's given me an even greater appreciation for the awesome job you're doing here capturing the feel of that show while still making it your own.

Great series of shows

Paul E, Adonis, and the Nasties make for a fun stable.

January 24th, 1986

Pikangikum, ON

-Owen Hart beat Farmer Boy Ipo in 13:55

-Keith & Bruce Hart beat The Creatchman Family (Botswana Beast & Lord Humongous, w/Eddy Creatchman) in 43:06

-Jos LeDuc beat Satanico in 3:41

-Intern #2 beat Chris Candido in 17:43

-"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal beat NWA Canadian International Tag team Champion Butcher Vachon in 12:03

-Bobby Fulton beat Hillbilly Jim in 2:42

-NWA World Light Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit beat Pirata Morgan in 8:32

NWA World Heavyweight Championship, Guest Referee - Bruno Sammartino: Rick Martel beat MS-1 in 36:17 to retain. There seemed to be a tad of controversy as MS-1 claimed that his foot was under the bottom rope during the pinfall. Bruno took the house mic and told MS-1 while his decision remains final, his position as Enforcer for the NWA Board of Directors as supported by NWA President Bob Geigel allows him to book a rematch if necessary. Bruno announces the rematch tomorrow night at the CNE Coliseum in Toronto!

Yeah, it turns out that I really liked that pairing as I was building my loops for January. I figured that from all 3 Los Infernales, he probably was the best "stylistic" matchup for Rick to draw some good heat in the main event. So whenever I could insert that match on a card, that's a shoe-in to please the crowd.