Greatest Match Ever Project

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3335 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

I think that whatever GWE did to the board, good or bad, it did introduce a whole lot of people to PWO that had not even heard of it before.  However you view the fallout of GWE, that particular aspect has to be a positive.  And I suspect that those involved in the negative aspects will come around eventually.  Perception can be a very powerful thing and I think that is what is driving a lot of those negative aspects.  Once things are looked at in a different light they can be moved past.

As far as the concerns of Loss, we all make mistakes.  They get magnified when we happen to be in charge of something a little bigger is all.  The worst thing you can do is let it make you afraid of doing it again.

I'm thinking about this, but I have to say that doing the top 100 matches out of Japan in the 2000s was a slog.  The top 100 ever seems like a very big challenge I may or may not be up for.

#42 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

Looking forward to everyone burning out even worse than GWE after watching too many five star classics and nit picking  which should go higher.

yeah... that is my only real legit concern here for myself.  But there are worse problems to have than watching too much classic wrestling in a year and some change.

I am guessing that my appreciation for matches that AREN'T all time classics will actually grow.

#43 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10395 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

From the outside in because i see myself sitting this one out due to other responsibilities, I guess what I'm going to be most interesting in seeing is how people shape their criteria. How much do you value checkhov's gun, or a proper balance between shine and comeback, or clever transitions, or downplaying obvious cooperation in setting up spots, or counters. What about "learned psychology" where a match plays on previous matches. Etc. People will have to come up with their own metrics to compare matches. Or not, I guess.

#44 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

I signed up for it. This is even more up my alley than ranking wrestlers. It should be a fun process and hope to try and participate as time allows. I'm not nearly as good as most on here in conveying my thoughts on matches, but I'll give it a shot.

#45 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:23 AM

I've decided I'm gonna try to get involved in this but started with a bunch of grumpy posts this morning right as I woke up, so maybe it's a bad start. This is less likely to expose me to as much new stuff as GWE did so I'll probably not enjoy it as much but whatevs.

Oh and Matt mentioned Chekov's gun, that can great in matches when done in a creative way but is shitty if its just the tries for a big move and it's avoided so then we know the 2nd time its tried that it's gonna work.

#46 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2206 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

I'm thinking about it. I'll at least join in the discussion a bit. I've always thought ranking wrestlers is easier than matches. I'm more interested in the former as well. I agree with jetlag that it will get difficult when there's fifty five star matches or whatever & people end up grasping for straws to put the #44 five star match over the #45 one. 

#47 gordi

gordi
  • Members
  • 1445 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

From the outside in because i see myself sitting this one out due to other responsibilities, 

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'll follow with interest and try to contribute what I can, but I'm not able to commit to being a major player in this debate at this time. It's the same with your excellent match review exchange idea, Matt D. If I had time, I'd be all over that, too. 

#48 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9008 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

I signed up. May push some nominations. Not sure how much I'll contribute in the end, kinda like Matt & Gordi.

#49 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3335 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

To me it's more that projects like this seem like "scheduled" watching.  Where I have to watch all of this stuff in a certain amount of time.  Once you start that it's very easy to get into a mode where you kill your own enjoyment of the matches because you feel like you have to watch them.  I very much prefer to watch what I feel like watching right now and not feel like there is a ticking clock on watching this group of matches.  I have found that it helps my enjoyment of wrestling a lot.

#50 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

I agree. I sort of hate feeling like I HAVE to watch things.

At this point (and this very well could change) I don't feel that way about this project because I have a base list already. Sure, I want to rewatch some stuff and I will want to watch new things, but I am not holding myself to watching every hyped match ever. I will get to what I can while watching stuff I enjoy.  I could submit a list today that I would feel pretty ok about. The way my list grows is a bonus. 

Again, this might change as the project evolves and I feel pressure to see things.

#51 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9008 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

I agree. I sort of hate feeling like I HAVE to watch things.

This. Whenever I feel "obligated" to watch something, be it because of hype or taking part to a discussion, it totally spoils the fun for me. It has to come from within and the idea of enjoying what you're doing/watching. Of course, this is the right way to approach this project for me, whenever I'll feel like watching/pimping stuff because it's fun to do so, then it will a good time to do it. But forcing yourself is only gonna get you burned out and be bitter about stuff because you can't watch/talk about everything (which I guess is also partly why some people got a negative outcome out of the GWE poll I guess).

#52 KB8

KB8
  • Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

I signed up and I'll hopefully get a list together by the end. I'll step away for a few months at some point as I always do and I won't watch a single thing in that time, but then I'll pick it back up for the home stretch and come up with something I'm happy with, yet not as happy as I could be because I'd never be able to watch everything I want to even if this was a decade-long project. So, similar to the GWE, basically. 

#53 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

I'll never be 100% happy with my list. We could do this for a month or 5 years and I would probably feel the same once I submit my list.

#54 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2787 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

I was away from the board when the GWE project was wrapping up. Can someone tell me what exactly happened?

#55 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2854 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Ric Flair won and not enough people voted for lucha guys

#56 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3335 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

I would guess the expectations of some going in were for a less...mainstream I guess is the word...set of results.

#57 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10395 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Maybe one that was slightly more representative of the two years of discussion leading up to it. I look back on the whole thing extremely fondly though. No regrets.

#58 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

I was first introduced to the board during the GWE and I don't really get the "too mainstream" criticisms. Tons of people that I was really introduced to for the first time because of it.

#59 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3335 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

My understanding is that it was more about the expectations people had for the results.  It's not a criticism I have about it, but I did see several comments about the 1980s being really heavily represented in the top 100.  The "too mainstream" was more me kind of summarizing the lack of lucha guys in the top 100, Ric Flair being the #1 guy, etc.  There were expectations going in that we were going to avoid those, for the lack of better terminology, cliche elements of the final list.

Honestly when I would go into a project like that the only list that I am really worried about is my own.  I don't care if nobody else ranks my top 10.  Those were mine.  Obviously I have interest in other people's ballots, some more than others, but it won't make me think any worse of the project as a whole or my own view on wrestling.

#60 supremebve

supremebve
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

I love this idea.  GWE was great, because I watched a bunch of wrestling I would have never watched otherwise and then made a list that made the most sense based on what I watched.  I took it seriously enough not to be insulting to everyone else, but never so serious that it caused me any stress.  I'm pretty sure 75% of my posts here were discussions regarding GWE and it is probably the most fun I've ever had on a wrestling board.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users