Greatest Match Ever Project

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Speaking for myself, my issues with GWE were the tone and attitudes of certain people during the process, and less the results.  There were aspects of the results that I didn't care for personally, or that I felt ran really counter to the discussion threads in some ways, but that's the byproduct of having an open process.  There isn't much you can do about it.

Had GME been hosted on PWO I probably would have taken part despite my visceral hatred for ranking matches out of a sense of obligation.  With it housed elsewhere it's unlikely I'll participate.  Honestly with matches I'm likely to just throw a list together in five minutes today and send it in, then spend any time mulling anything over and that kind of runs counter to the spirit of it anyhow.  That said, I hope people enjoy the process and have fun with it. 

#62 dkookypunk43

dkookypunk43
  • Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

YES!!!!

#63 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Project been great so far. We need more people participating, though.

#64 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Reading, BJJ, Traveling, Beer, Cooking, Dogs

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

Just a quick update....

I have spent a good bit of time transferring nominees today. It isn't all caught up, but its a little closer.

I will post this over there too, but please remember if you are nominating a match for the first time please include the participants, any stips, any tittles, the promotion, and the date at the top of the nomination in addition to the title. The titles have a small character limit. This helps us sort matches quicker.

I am going to be adding some discussion sections soon as well.

#65 TheU_2001

TheU_2001
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

Im in. Just found this thread now. Loved the GWE stuff.

#66 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

Project has been really fun so far. Tons of matches have been nominated from different eras and regions. But we need a lot more participation. It's sort of stagnated since February with only a handful of people posting. 

#67 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

I plan on catching up on some stuff I've had saved and will definitely nominate the Gargano-Ciampa match from this weekend.

#68 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

Something seems to be wrong with the url now.

#69 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

I just wanted to bump this thread for any new folks. It's been fun so far. I'd love to see more people join in. I know people talked a lot in GWE about how ranking matches would be much easier than wrestlers but I am not sure I'm finding that to be the case.

http://gweproject.freeforums.net/

#70 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

The discussion is great but there doesn't really seem to be anywhere near the same level of hype GWE got. Maybe we could run some podcasts promoting it?

#71 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

The discussion is great but there doesn't really seem to be anywhere near the same level of hype GWE got. Maybe we could run some podcasts promoting it?

I think it's hurt by that fact it's not hosted here, which would have been ideal because of maximum exposure/visibility. But I can understand the reasons Loss indicated and his decision, though I'll say the discussion has been a lot more, uh, pleasant (for lack of a better word). Also I think the burnout factor is less of an issue because of the diversity of stuff nominated and the fact you're not watching multiple matches from one wrestler in a row. The podcasts idea is a good one. 

#72 Tetsujin

Tetsujin
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

Loving the project, but damn I wish we have 'till WM 36 instead of 35...

#73 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:40 AM

All of the usual suspects have been nominated and with good reason, but I love a bunch of the lesser-known matches that have been discussed. Not sure I would have ever known about Satanico-Koshinaka if it hadn't been nominated.

#74 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:29 AM

Loving the project, but damn I wish we have 'till WM 36 instead of 35...

I wouldn't be opposed to extending the deadline honestly. There are so many matches to watch

#75 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

I'm cool with that too.

#76 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

I didnt think we should host this but I thought the Military Industrial Suplex folder was a good idea. My judgment is pretty terrible.

#77 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

I will say that my firewall does not love the other board when I've popped in. 

#78 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

I didnt think we should host this but I thought the Military Industrial Suplex folder was a good idea. My judgment is pretty terrible.

I will say that my firewall does not love the other board when I've popped in. 

I am also not opposed to moving the whole thing over to PWO in the event that Loss has second thoughts on hosting and if folks think it would generate more discussion/participation.

And I say that as someone who spent waaay too long nominating the first like 150+ matches

#79 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

I am discombobulated by the flurry of people who are apparently starting the Portland set all at once. Is this your doing?

#80 AstroBoy

AstroBoy
  • Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Part of the problem I think is that it is very time-consuming to just think of matches to nominate, write them up, get them nominated, etc.  It leaves very little time for anybody to actually discuss the matches themselves because it takes a lot of thought to get everything nominated that you might want to vote on.

Part of me wonders if the project wouldn't benefit from less strict nomination type stuff.  GWE worked because there are only so many wrestlers and then you can get into the discussion.  There are an infinite amount of matches and so many will inevitably get lost in the shuffle.  Maybe sub-folders to discuss specific wrestlers, sub-folders for different promotions, sub-folders for different eras would be an interesting way to take it?  So you would be sacrificing a thorough list of nominees but it would easier to pop into the Steve Austin folder or something and just start discussing some of his matches.  Or you could drop in the NJPW 80s folder and debate between two highly touted matches.  Just a thought, and in no way a dismissal of the tireless work that has gone into this.  I just know that I haven't kept up in a while because I couldn't get organized enough to nominate everything ahead of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users