Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-22-Monterrey] Lizmark Jr & Silver Star & Suplex vs Charles Lucero & Damian 666 & Diluvio Negro I

soup23

I really like getting these long form underneath matches from Monterrey and IWRG. They show that the lucha depth and product on the whole was strong in 2000. Lucero in particular is someone that is fascinating to watch be so technically proficient even at a young age. He reminds me of watch Nishimura from this era in that he has a throwback style but doesn't feel dated or a tribute act. This match faltered with some weapon shots involving a pool cue that felt out of place but overall it was enjoyable and worth seeing to fill out lucha viewing in 2000. *** (5.9)

Charles Lucero would have been around 40 at this point. He debuted in 1975 and has seemingly made a name for himself in matches against Hechicero and Silver Star in 2014. He's a great "lost" mat wizard. I believe this is the oldest match of his on tape:

• 4 months later...

Oh yeah, Charlie Lucero... This was a classic example of how one matchup can make the most inconsequential of matches worth watching. Charlie did some lovely stuff with Silver Star to lead things off (years before their maestro matches), and later on, they came back and had a phenomenal brawling sequence that was straight out of Satanico's playbook and left me clamouring for a singles match from this era. The rest of the bout was largely crap, especially the shit with the pool cue and Damian's balls but those Lucero vs. Silver Star exchanges are something I won't forget when I look back on the year.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-22-Monterrey] Lizmark Jr & Silver Star & Suplex vs Charles Lucero & Damian 666 & Diluvio Negro I