Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-22-Monterrey] La Parka vs Shocker

soup23

One the more weirder lucha vignettes I have seen in a haunted house. Well it gets you in the halloween spirit at least. We then cut to Shocker beating up Parka in the ring and he is in his khakis still. Overall, I thought this was good resume padding for a great year from Shocker and a classic lucha brawl for the most part. Parka's mask gets ripped so bad that he has to bit it just to keep it over the lower 3rd of his face. Shocker wins the first fall by doing a double punch right to the nuts and Shocker also hits a gusher in 3rd fall. The finale comes with some referee bullshit but the spot is resolved with a cool spot of a bench being brought into the ring and Parka giving a bump to both the ref and Shocker. We get some weird clipping where it appears that TB is going to help out his buddy Shocker but he decides to whack him instead and Parka wins. **** (7.9)

• 4 months later...

This was a disappointment. I tried to curb my expectations since it was just a Super Libre mano a mano and not an apuesta match but it was still frustrating. I don't think Parka had fully developed as a brawler at this stage and while Shocker has taken 2000 by storm it's not really clear how good a brawler and/or apuesta worker he is. We weren't given much of a clue since this bout revolved around outside interference and a steady dose of Monterrey bullshit. I guess Parka starts coming into his own as a brawler in 2001 since that's when his first classics appear. Shocker may not have been the right opponent for the type of match I was hoping for but this fizzled a bit like Dandy vs. Antifaz. I still think Shocker is in the run for WOTY but this didn't help his case.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-22-Monterrey] La Parka vs Shocker
  • 3 months later...

That vingette at the beginning was weird as hell. Right up there with the Antonio Pena halloween ones in the early 2000s. As for the match, I liked it. Parka's mask gets ripped to shreds, shocker bleeds, A fan tries to attack the ref and Nicho is wearing a Jerome Bettis Steelers uniform. Finish was a little weird.