Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-05-01-IWA Japan] Headhunter A vs Headhunter B (Glass Death)

dawho5

A quick glance at Cagematch to confirm the match date (Japanese matches are sometimes reversed on day/month) reveals headhunter B is actually Puerto Rican. This makes a ton of sense for more than one reason. Reason 1. Both guys go directly for the gimmick. If you have ever watched a gimmick match in PR, they don't fuck around too long before they start making for the thing they can hurt somebody with. Reason 2. They remind me a lot of smaller Abby clones with the way they wrestle, the boots, just the way they carry themselves. Anyway, they stab each other with glass a lot and use the barbed wire boards.

Not a huge "deathmatch for the sake of deathmatch" fan, especially here. I found myself wondering why two partners would take the chance of maiming or killing each other in a match like this. And how they would be partners after. Then it occurred to me that if they are Abby clones, then they just want to go out there and maim whatever poor schmuck is right in front of them. So it works.

Headhunter A busting a few pieces of glass over B's head is all kinds of holy shit dangerous. Eyes, nose, that could do some permanent damage if a big enough shard went the wrong direction. The fat guy flying spots were good. I actually liked the botch before the finish because it got over how ridiculously out of it you would have to be after taking that kind of assault. If you like deathmatch gore stuff for the sake of it, this is a pretty good match. From what I have seen of the Headhunters they don't really do much in terms of structure or great psychology, so these kinds of matches would definitely be their bread and butter.

And they hug and make up post-match while beating up some poor bastard who comes out to congratulate the winner. So yeah, Abby clones.

I don't think it's a completely fair characterization to call them clones since Abby didn't take bumps like the Headhunters let alone have their offensive variety. They are much more than stalk and stab. And I love Abdullah the Butcher.

These guys were a really great tag team for the 90s Indies. There were even in AJPW in the 1998 RWTL..and god knows Baba wouldn't stand for garbage wrestling :)

• GSR changed the title to [1995-05-01-IWA Japan] Headhunter A vs Headhunter B (Glass Death)
  • 2 years later...
On 1/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, dawho5 said:

I found myself wondering why two partners would take the chance of maiming or killing each other in a match like this. And how they would be partners after.

They lost a match to Terry Funk and Takeshi Ono at a previous IWA JAPAN show in Korakuen Hall and one of the Headhunters turned on the other. During the betrayal, the Headhunter that betrayed got a bottle at ringside and broke in on the ring post and then used to carve the betrayed Headhunter. That’s why there was glass inside the boxes at ringside.

There's some loud blatant spot calling in Spanish in this. There's a spot where one of the Headhunters is carving up the other with a piece of glass and the one getting carved tells the other Headhunter to grab a bigger piece of glass. Also during the barbed wire board moonsault sandwich, one of them yells Victor, take care of me.