Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-01-27-WWE-NXT Takeover: Philadelphia] Shayna Baszler vs Ember Moon

KawadaSmile

First of all: Shayna fucking rocks. Her presence reminds me of Minoru Suzuki, like one of those people that is legit dangerous, but at the same time they actually draw your attention to the violence they display. Considering she's new to pro-wrestling, it's amazing she can project that aura so well.

As for the match itself, I enjoyed it a lot. Baszler being in control for much of the match, with Moon having offensive spurts is the best idea. The fluke-y finish worked well, and albeit some might have problems with the length of the armbar spot, I felt it was some well-made suspense.

Good stuff. Shayna HAS to win the title on the near future.

This ruled. I thought it was structured pretty much perfectly, especially since it looks like we are going to get a big re-match between the two. Shayna dominated w/ her terrific submissions & Ember rocked the FIP role in terrific fashion. The finish was very good too, made both women look strong & set up that re-match for the future. ***3/4

That elbow stomp that Shayna does is legit scary.

She works like BattlArts. I'll bet she'd have been great in Arsion, working with Yoshida. She will only get better.

Moon has such a great look. Her voice does not match the badassery she's trying to project, though. It's distracting.

Yeah, this was very good. Shayna's arm work, namely that arm spot were fantastic, as was Ember's selling of it. However the extensive armbar section was waaaaay to long. Ember should've pulled off the flash pin way before, but Ember scratching Shayna's back and arm while screaming in pain was a pretty cool visual. Good stuff.

***1/2

I've seen way too fucking much shootstyle to be impressed by Shayna's submission work. It's okay. That's about it. The Minoru Suzuki comparison works much better for me, as her character is half the work and she is already terrific at it. The work itself, it's okay for a US setting. The elbow stomp is a great spot though. Ember Moon staying in the armbar forever after this was bad booking, much like the medical goon showing up. Sure, it protected Moon's finisher, but it also overdramatized the selling and the crowd did shit on it with good reason. The flash pin was indeed a cool finish but should have happened way before, as the Submission Magician gimmick looks rather shitty when a girl with a fucked up elbow can stay in your hold forever without submitting. I guess the Tazmission is her real finisher.

Good little match, I like Shayna's character quite a bit and Ember's work quite a lot.

I agree with others that the armbar spot lasted way too long. I have been armbar'd. Once that shit gets locked in, you're tapping in seconds - not minutes. They need to shorten it and teach the opponent better techniques for fighting it off. (not once did I see Moon try to drive her elbow to the ground, for instance) Also, Shayna has been practicing armbar holds since her very first week of jujitsu, probably, so she's going to have to work on fighting the years of muscle memory. She needs to not lock it in so quickly.

Minor enough quibble. I enjoy her character and look very much, and she's come a long way in a short time. Great potential. I am hoping Ronda doesn't overshadow her.

I agree with others that the armbar spot lasted way too long. I have been armbar'd. Once that shit gets locked in, you're tapping in seconds - not minutes. They need to shorten it and teach the opponent better techniques for fighting it off. (not once did I see Moon try to drive her elbow to the ground, for instance) Also, Shayna has been practicing armbar holds since her very first week of jujitsu, probably, so she's going to have to work on fighting the years of muscle memory. She needs to not lock it in so quickly.

Minor enough quibble. I enjoy her character and look very much, and she's come a long way in a short time. Great potential. I am hoping Ronda doesn't overshadow her.

The armbar stuff took me out of the match. Both the selling while the hold was on and after the finish.

This was good, but it felt like it could have been better. The timing didn't feel spot on to me. It felt like two great performers putting on great performances, but not necessarily together. I still think it was good stuff and I hope to see them go at it again sooner rather than later. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2018-01-27-WWE-NXT Takeover: Philadelphia] Shayna Baszler vs Ember Moon