Pro Wrestling Only

Vince Russo's The Brand

DMJ

I really miss Live Audio Wrestling as, especially after a big PPV, I like to hear some analysis the next morning on my drive to work. I tried Wrestling Inc.'s podcast and thought, "Wow, these guys really don't get it" and "Matt Morgan throwing shade at Cena and Reigns? Dude, really?" I've opted to never listen to that show again.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, though, because I tried Vince Russo's podcast "The Brand" this morning.

I knew Russo would have complaints about the Rumble, but he was so ridiculously wrong on every point, part of me wonders if it isn't a work. Among the "hot takes" that nearly made me veer off the hallway (from Russo or his equally historically wrong co-host Big Vito)...

- The WWE is letting the "marks" book the company now because Nakamura won and Reigns didn't.

- "Choreographed fake fights" (like Nak/Styles) won't bring in any new viewers but Cena vs. Reigns would (because they wouldn't wrestle a choreographed fake fight?)

- Big Vito's fool-proof, guaranteed money-making angle that would turn the WWE upside down (brace yourself): Bring back Eric Bischoff and put him in charge of SmackDown so he can bring back Hogan and the nWo. Then, have Vince Russo take over RAW and bring back Edge, Christian, and Jericho, then run a "real" war because "That is an angle that has never been done before."

- Bobby Roode needed a veteran to help lead him through his first US Title defense despite the fact that Roode has been wrestling for 15+ years. (Note - I didn't see the Roode/Rawley match and I'm not defending it, but Vito's "expert analysis" for why Roode isn't over and why Roode/Rawley was a bad match shows he doesn't actually know who Roode is. Its like saying "I hated Ishtar. The two lead actors were really amateurish.")

I fear my drive home as I finish the episode and will undoubtedly hear them somehow manage to shit on the women's Rumble because (I'm guessing) Sable didn't return and win the whole thing wearing a thong and pasties.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious everything that comes out of Vince Russo's mouth now is a giant work to "infuriate the smarks." He realizes he can "do no right" in anyone's eyes, so he's embraced it IMO.

With that said, Roode is pretty boring. Even though it's a worked "hot take" by Russo and Vito, I too prefer Mojo Rawley and see a much bigger upside in him. The match itself was nothing special though.

I am surprised he even sat through anything (but maybe the Rumble matches).

I have been watching some of his videos recapping RAW and PPVs from his Attitude Era run. One of the most fascinating bits is how obvious he makes it that he does not like wrestling. He likes the wrestling business and the theatricality of it all. But actual in-ring action bores him to tears.

We all figured it to be true, based on the kinds of shows he's always booked. But it's weirdly gratifying to hear him actually admit it. (he doesn't use those words, but he frequently talks about fast-forwarding the matches because that's boring, etc)

. One of the most fascinating bits is how obvious he makes it that he does not like wrestling. He likes the wrestling business and the theatricality of it all. But actual in-ring action bores him to tears.

We all figured it to be true, based on the kinds of shows he's always booked. But it's weirdly gratifying to hear him actually admit it. (he doesn't use those words, but he frequently talks about fast-forwarding the matches because that's boring, etc)

This isn't new though. He was saying that in the '90s too. After he left WWE, one of his criticisms was that RAW became "too much of a wrestling show again."

. One of the most fascinating bits is how obvious he makes it that he does not like wrestling. He likes the wrestling business and the theatricality of it all. But actual in-ring action bores him to tears.

This isn't new though. He was saying that in the '90s too. After he left WWE, one of his criticisms was that RAW became "too much of a wrestling show again."

Eh, well, you know what they say: It's easier to change audiences than it is to change speeches.

If you weren’t aware, John Pollock & Wai Ting started their own site, POST Wrestling, where they post reviews of the shows:

https://www.postwrestling.com

It’s like the LAW but without the bad people (though Agnew was on their Rumble show since he hosted them at his house to watch it).

My new go-to for Reaction type shows aside from John & Wai’s lately has been the ones that Fightful.com does, which are usually pretty good. I especially like their post-Raw show. Those can be found here: https://www.fightfulpods.com

They also stream the video of the show on their YouTube page. It’s an up and coming site and, IMO, really rapidly becoming very good.

Please don’t subject yourself to Vince Russo anymore. There are so many people more deserving of your listening time.