Pro Wrestling Only

AWA results for February 1986

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mind doesn't wander here unless I'm doing something particularly mindless at work. When I'm at home I will have stuff hit me that I should do and then I have to write it down in my booking documents lol. Which usually leads to more stuff and more writing down and about an hour gone for a stray thought.

AWA show from the Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, February 9th

Darryl Peterson & Jeff Gaylord vs. The Onyx Express

Gaylord caught Koko in a flying shoulder tackle and got the one two three

British Steel vs. Masa Saito & Larry Zbyszko

Larry was going for an over the shoulder neckbreaker on Regal, but Regal was able to counter with a backslide to get the pin. Afterwards, Larry argued with the ref but to no avail

Ron Simmons & Leon White vs. The Killer Bees

Simmons hit a crushing spine buster slam on Blair to score the victory

Chris Adams & The British Bullies vs. Mike Rotundo, Doug Furnas & Brian Pillman

A lengthy technical matchup that went back and forth and ended when Adams was finally able to hit the Superkick on Pillman to pull out the win for his team

Dusty Rhodes vs. Kevin Sullivan

Dusty won the match with the Bionic Elbow

Cactus Jack vs. Buzz Sawyer

A crazy brawl that ended when Buzz took advantage of the ref being knocked down and hit Cactus with a chain to get the cheap victory

AWA Six-Man Tag Team Title Match : The Guerrero Brothers © vs. Too Cold Scorpio & The Youngbloods

An exciting , fast paced match that really got the fans on their feet and ended when Chavo dodged a bicycle kick by Blackman and took him down with a legsweep, followed by a double leg rollup that got the pinfall

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Badd Company

Badd Company came out guns ablazing and looked at several times like they just might take the titles, but Playboy After Dark went to desperate measures and popped the ref, leading to a DQ loss but retaining the championship

AWA American Title Match : Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Al Perez

Another lengthy, purely scientific match, where Bock was going for a figure four leglock, but Perez countered with a small package. However, Bock was able to reverse that with his own small package to successfully defend his belt.

Yep, that pairing makes good sense as both men have a football background. I wouldn't mind seeing those young guys take on a more experienced power team along the lines of The Road Warriors... and hopefully we'll get a young lions showdown at some point between them and Nord & Foley.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for February 14th

Black Irish vs. Shamar Thomas & Matt Bischoff

The sound of “Emerald” by Thin Lizzy blared over the arena PA to herald the arrival of an intense new tag team : David “Fit” Finlay and “Lethal” Larry Cameron, collectively known as Black Irish. Finlay, also known as the Belfast Bruiser, was a tough Ulsterman in his late 20s who already had the look of a grizzled veteran and wrestled like it too, blasting Bischoff with hard clotheslines and footstomps. Cameron, a powerful former pro football player with an impressive physique, tossed Thomas around the ring before polishing him off with a running powerslam. The competition in the AWA tag ranks has heated up recently but adding this combination to it could possibly cause it to explode.

Too Cold Scorpio vs. Leon White

Scorpio had gotten an upset win by countout over White at the last TV show, but Sullivan was demanding that White go out and settle the score in a rematch. Sullivan had Jeff Gaylord and Darryl Peterson with him at ringside and egged on White during the match. While the Colorado Buffalo was clearly reluctant to take things too far against his old friend, he was clearly being more aggressive in this match, with several quick tackles and clotheslines to take Scorpio down. Scorpio kept rallying and coming back with dropkicks and high flying moves to keep White off balance, which led to Sullivan’s hectoring from ringside to become even louder and more abrasive. Seeking to put White down for the count, Scorpio came off the top rope with a flying cross body press, but White caught him in mid air and countered with a crushing power slam. He followed up with a running splash and got the one two three. But this was not enough for Sullivan, who got on the ringside mic and demanded that White punish Scorpio after the match. White was clearly distressed as he refused to do that to his friend. Sullivan was livid at this clear show of insubordination, and said on the mic, “Leon, I thought I could make something of you, but you clearly don’t have what it takes to be one of my men. You are *cut* from the Varsity Club!” With this, Peterson and Gaylord rushed into the ring and ambushed White from behind, clipping him and putting the boots to him until security finally cleared them from the ring. It looks like the first man has been eliminated from the Varsity Club Rush, and what a suprising choice it was.

Masa Saito & Larry Zbyszko vs. The Youngbloods

Moving on from one loudmouthed crabapple to another, Larry Z was his usual verbose self as he came to the ring, a distinct contrast to his grim and silent partner. He trash talked both of his opponents throughout the match, and was clearly out to prove that his tactics were superior as not only did he cut every corner and work in every cheap shot that he could, but he never came close to trying to tag in Saito as he worked over Wellington. This would prove to be a mistake as he gave Wellington an inverted atomic drop, but failed to notice that Wellington was able to tag out as he fell back. He then set up Wellington for a neckbreaker, only to eat a Blackman Bicycle Kick to the face and get pinned. As the Youngbloods celebrated their biggest win yet, Zbysko looked like he was going to berate Saito for not saving him, but clearly thought better of it when he saw the look his partner was giving him, and instead got in the face of the ref. Larry Z clearly can’t own up to his own mistakes.

Mike Rotundo, Doug Furnas & Ron Simmons vs. Dave Samson, Garrett Adelstein & Brice Johnson

After the craziness of the earlier Varsity Club outing, Rotundo seems to be the only sane man of the Club veterans, and had clearly been given instructions to keep the Rush prospects on a very tight leash. He gave clear directions to Furnas as the Tennesee Volunteer worked over Adelstein, working in some chain wrestling and submissions in with his impressive power offense. Then Furnas tagged in Simmons and the match took a completely different turn. Simmons didn’t wait for any guidance from Rotundo , just exploding out of the blocks on Adelstein with a series of fast, jarring shoulder tackles before planting him into the mat with a spinebuster slam to get the pin. Rotundo looked like he didn’t know what to make of Simmons, but calmly whispered something in his ear, and Simmons nodded as he listened. It still raises the question : if Sullivan wasn’t able to bend Leon White to his will, what is he going to do with Simmons?

Cactus Jack vs. Buzz Sawyer

Cactus had the rest of the Snakepit, Jake Roberts and Nord The Barbarian, in his corner for this match, giving him moral (?) support. Buzz Sawyer was alone but brought with him a heavy chain, which he swung in a wide circle over his head before the match. This served to neither impress nor intimidate Cactus, who went straight at Buzz with a whirlwind of lefts and rights. The two went at it fist and fire in a match with not a lot of finesse but a lot of action. Cactus showed the reckless intensity that has been on display in his most recent matches, especially his trip to Japan, but Buzz was no pushover and gave as good as he got. It looked like he was going to put away Cactus with a powerslam, but Cactus broke out of it with a wild elbow to the face, then coming off the ropes with a flying clothesline to get the upset win. He didn’t have much time to celebrate, because Buzz popped him in the back of the head with his chain wrapped around his fist. He then dared Jake Roberts to get his own taste of the chain, but Nord surprised him with a kneelift to the back that sent him into a Jake Roberts DDT. Nord and Snake both assisted Cactus away from the ring, but it’s unlikely Buzz will either forgive or forget this.

Chris Adams vs. The Great Kabuki

These two had been feuding ever since Adams’ unspeakable ambush of Sunshine at Super Clash, and neither man was going to take any chances, as Kabuki was backed up by Al Perez and Badd Company in his corner, while Adams was joined by Sheikh Adnan Al Kaissie and the British Bullies. For all the deep seated hatred between both sides, this was actually a riveting technical matchup for most of its duration, with Adams’ British technique warring with Kabuki’s Japanese stylings for supremacy . The pendulum of momentum went back and forth throughout the match, until the ref got caught between the two and knocked to the mat, which seemed to be the trigger for chaos to break out. Kaissie and the Bullies saw this as the cue to try to enter the ring, but were interecepted by Perez and Badd Company, and both sides tangled with each other. But the biggest shock came when someone appeared out of nowhere at ringside and ascended to the ring apron. It was Sunshine! Kabuki’s manager, wearing a black kimono, was making her fist appearance since being assaulted by Adams. Adams was not impressed, as he mocked Sunshine and got in her face. Bad mistake , as she reached into the sleeve of her kimono and pulled out a set of nunchaku, which she used to clobber Adams in the side of the head. This staggered him enough to leave him easy pickings for a thrust kick to the jaw from Kabuki, and the ref had recovered enough to count the pin for Kabuki. Perez and Badd Company dashed inside the ring and formed a cordon around Sunshine and Kabuki as they celebrated their victory. Looks like the return of Sunshine might just prove to be the spark her boys need.

AWA Show from the Cow Palace, San Francisco, February 14th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards )

Cactus Jack vs. Leo Burke

Cactus won with a flying clothesline

Steven Regal vs. Darryl Peterson

In what proved to be an intense, matwork and technically based match, Darryl was able to catch Regal in a belly to belly suplex to score the pinfall

Ken Patera vs. Sgt. Slaughter

Sheikh Adnan Al Kaissie interfered in the match, leading to Patera catching Sarge with a shoulder breaker , followed by a second rope kneedrop for the tainted victory

Jerry Blackwell vs. Dusty Rhodes

The Sheikh tried to interfere in this match, but was intercepted by Sgt. Slaughter. During this confusion, Dusty took down Blackwell with a clothesline and hit the Bionic Elbow Drop for the win

Terry Gordy (courtesy of Lutte Internationale and WCCW) vs. Leon White

White was sporting bandages over his bruised ribs from the beatdown by his former Varsity Club compatriots on All-Star Wrestling. In spite of this, it turned out to be a real coming out party for White, who put up a hell of a fight for the NWA National Heavyweight champion. Every time the Freebird looked like had put down White for good, the Colorado Buffalo would fight his way back. The crowd started to think he might just pull off the upset, but it was not to be when Gordy put in a mighty effort and managed to execute the Freebird Piledriver on the huge White and get the one two three. White still managed to gain the respect of both the fans and Gordy, who helped him up after the match and shook his hand.

2/3 Falls AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Raymond & Armand Rougeau

1st Fall : Raymond caught Somers coming off the ropes with a savate kick for the pinfall

2nd Fall : Rose executed the Inside Out Backbreaker on Armand to even the score

3rd Fall : The match was declared a draw when it went to the 45 minute time limit with both teams at one fall apiece

Ricky Steamboat, Nick Bockwinkel & Jake Roberts vs. Paul Orndorff, Kevin Sullivan & Mike Rotundo

Steamboat got the pin on Rotundo when he countered a Varsity Rush attempt with a crucifix. After the match, it was announced that Steamboat would get his shot at Paul Orndorff’s World Title at the February 21st show in Milwaukee, and that Kevin Sullivan and the Varsity Club would be banned from ringside under penalty of suspension, but that in order to get this concession from Orndorff, the match would also be under the stipulation that the loser would leave the AWA

AWA show from the Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, February 15th

Black Irish vs. The Onyx Express

Finlay pinned Brickhouse with a belly to belly piledriver

Brian Pillman vs. Too Cold Scorpio

Scorpio won with a flying top rope splash

The British Bullies vs. The Youngbloods

A long technical match that ended when Taylor hit the British Suplex on Wellington for the pinfall

Ken Patera vs. Norman Smiley

Patera got the victory after a shoulder breaker

Buzz Sawyer vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts

Jake executed the DDT to get the win

AWA World Tag Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Sgt. Slaughter & Dusty Rhodes

Rose lured Sarge into going for the Slaughter Cannon, only to dive out of the way at the last second and Sarge ended up nailing the ref. When the ref recovered, he gave the champions the win by DQ

AWA American Title Match : Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Chris Adams

Adams actually had some fan support during this match, likely stemming from his past history in the Portland area. With both Larry Zbyszko and Sheikh Adnan Al Kaissie absent from ringside, this turned out to be a purely scientific bout. After an mat working exchange, Bockwinkel showed his mastery of counter wrestling as he worked his way out of several submission attempts and repeatedly dodged the Superkick. Adams, for his part, was savvy enough to change tactics, catching the champ in several jarring suplexes and, little by little, managed to wear him down. It looked like he was about to finally hit the Superkick, but Bock dodged it and nailed a single leg takedown, then wrapped him up in the Figure Four Leglock. That seemed to be it for Adams, but the Englishman refused to give up, and the bell rang to signal a 30 minute time limit draw without him having quit. Bock was clearly impressed with the challenge that Adams had given him, and helped him to his feet after the match. The two begrudgingly shook hands, then went their separate ways.

Nice series here! Putting Finley and Cameron together is genius. Love these Sawyer/Cactus matches. I think Leon White is going to get way over with the fans. Larry Z better start focusing on his matches LOL. Awesome Tag Title match with Rose and Sommers going to a draw with the Rougeaus. Then they defend against Slaughter and Dream, what a week for the champs. That Scorpio/Pillman match would of been fun to watch. Oh man it's on, Steamboat gets his long awaited title match with Orndorff. That should be a good one.

I enjoy the balance of all of your cards. The excitement begins with the first match and grows through the main event. From the Varsity Club to Larry Z to Steamboat etc.... the AWA is a fin read. I also think your style of writing is perfect. You create such a clear picture though your matches without the announcers and interviews. Reminds me of Pro Wrestling Illustrated from back in the day.

AWA show from McArthur Court, Eugene, February 16th

Mike Rotundo, Doug Furnas, Brian Pillman, Darryl Peterson & Jeff Gaylord vs. Greg Gagne, The Killer Bees & Badd Company

In an exciting opening bout, Peterson was ultimately able to get the win for the Varsity Club when he forced Blair to give up to the wakigatame

The Snakepit vs. Buzz Sawyer & The Onyx Express

Jake Roberts hit the DDT on Buzz to score the pinfall

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Dan Spivey

In a major upset, Spivey ducked under the Slaughter Cannon and hit the Spivey Bomber for a big win

Chris Adams & The British Bullies vs. Too Cold Scorpio & British Steel

In another long technical bout, Dave Taylor was finally able to catch Scorpio with the British Suplex for the one two three.

The Great Kabuki vs. Larry Zbyszko

Masa Saito was at ringside. Kabuki caught Larry flat footed with a thrust kick to the jaw for the win. Larry wasn’t happy about this, Saito didn’t seem to care.

AWA Southern Tag Title Match : Chavo & Hector Guerrero © vs. Black Irish

Chavo hit a top rope flying somersault senton on Finlay to defend their belts

AWA Southern Title Match : Mando Guerrero © vs. Al Perez

Both men went to a 20 minute time limit draw

Ricky Steamboat vs. Ken Patera

Steamboat won with a top rope flying cross body press

AWA World Tag Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. The Youngbloods

Somers hit Blackman with the loaded elbow smash for the win

Spivey with a huge win! His bouts with Steamboat showed he was a player. This win over Slaughter makes him a force. Great job with his build. The Varsity Rush continues to look strong. I liked the Mando/Perez match. A draw just shows how evenly matched they are. Rose and Sommers continue their impressive reign. Steamboat's win over Patera shows he's ready for his World Title match.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys.

For me, tag teams are a big part of the fun of fantasy booking, finding cool pairings that never happened IRL. In an old TNM fed, I had a tag team called Black Irish, which was Fit Finlay and Bad News Allen, which I figured would be one of the most badass pairings of all time. When I realized that Finlay and Cameron would be available, I couldn't resist, so I moved some people around and made some cuts and brought them in as my hot new tag team. I figured the pairing would make sense, in storyline, for the reasons laid out in my dirt sheet articles, with the more experienced second generation guy sharing his guidance and wisdom with the big strong new guy.

The Buzz vs. Snakepit feud is hopefully the seed for some really big things coming up. When I dissolved Buck Robley's Army, I wasn't sure what to do with him. Then I realized that matching him up with the crazy mofos in Jake's crew just made sense. If somebody is going to teach Cactus to brawl, why not the man who inspired Arn Anderson to say "I've been in barfights that weren't as bad." This is about to blow up in a big way.

I kind of fell backwards into using Spivey. Back when I had Hulk Hogan on my roster, I had a thought of bringing in Spivey for a sort of All About Eve scheming understudy angle, but I never had both of them at the same time. When he became available, I brought him in as a natural fit for the Varsity Club and he was usually the guy eating the falls in tag matches. Looking for something to distinguish him, I figured what the hell, dusted off and modified my old idea, and gave him the Spiveymania gimmick. This proved to be so much fun to write, I started giving him bigger matches and moving him up the ranks. I figured it was a case of a guy being given a goofball gimmick, but making it work to the point he legitimately gets over. For me, Spivey, like Cameron, was a great Might Have Been, a guy with potential who started late and didn't get the breaks he needed. He got to be legitimately very good working in Japan, but by then his body started breaking down and he only had a few years left. In my reality, instead of languishing in Central States or the lower levels of the WWF tag ranks, he's getting the benefit of my training program and offering him for as many Japan shots as possible. This way, I can rewrite history and help him reach his full potential a few years earlier so it could still benefit him.

Bock, Larry Z and Saito are such a natural dynamic, they pretty much write themselves. I have some really big plans for them coming up.

Buddy Rose is the lynchpin for my west coast swing, not just being a legend in Portland but one of the last stars of Roy Shires' San Francisco promotion. Every time the AWA comes west, I put him front and centre and make the most of the incredible possibilities of the Rose/Somers team.

I was watching some some old AWA on youtube again the other night and it's crazy how much better what you have going here is than what they really did. If Verne had went to the lengths you are to develope young talent the AWA might have survived...or at least longer than it did.

I never got to see much of Larry Cameron back in the day other than in magazines but always thought he looked impressive, it will be fun to what his progress tagging with Finlay.