AWA results for February 1986

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN , February 28th

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Zane Knight

Bigelow is a young up and comer who has been tearing up Puerto Rico of late and is making his first appearance in the AWA. Good news for him, bad news for Zane Knight, who got pretty much torn apart by Bigelow. The crowd was in awe as Bigelow whipped Knight from pillar to post and threw him to the mat like he was nothing before hitting a slingshot splash for the one two three. At a time when the competition in the AWA is at its most fierce, it looks like a major new player has entered the scene.

Mike Rotundo & Brian Pillman vs. The Youngbloods

If Kevin Sullivan has been the Bad Cop of the Varsity Club Rush, badgering and shouting at them as part of his leadership method, it looks like his “assistant coach” Mike Rotundo has been the Good Cop. While Pillman has been a particular target of Sullivan’s bad temper, Rotundo looked to be making a concerted effort to give guidance to the former Cincinnatti Bengal, tagging in and out and giving advice and coaching from the ring apron. Pillman seemed to respond well to this approach and gained confidence as the match went on, managing to hit a springboard clothesline to get the win over the always dangerous Youngbloods. Perhaps Sullivan could stand to take a page out of Rotundo’s coaching book.

The Razor Boys vs. Drew Christie & Dale Wentworth

With “Cuts Like A Knife” by Bryan Adams playing over the arena PA, the audience craned their necks to see just who the Razor Boys would be … then cheered when it turned out to be the new team name for Paul Diamond and Al Perez. With Pat Tanaka currently the AWA Southern champ, his partner Diamond is forming a new duo with Perez that made an impressive debut on All-Star Wrestling. They easily dominated their opposition with swift tags and slick double team moves before Perez hoisted up Wentworth for what looked to be the Ally-Copter, only for Diamond to send Wentworth crashing to the mat with a top rope elbow smash (a move that they dubbed the Straight Razor). Time will tell if the Razor Boys can have the success that Badd Company had before them.

Interview : Ken Resnick stands in the ring

Resnick : Folks, my guest is one of the big favorites among the many fans of the AWA … Sgt. Slaughter!

The fans cheer loudly as Sarge makes his way to the ring. He seems , however, to be moving rather slowly, as though something was weighing on his mind.

Resnick : Sarge, normally we would be seeing you out here with the Cobra Corps, but now you are out here alone.

Sarge : *sadly* That’s right , Resnick. The Cobra Corps has suffered some casualties of war. Cpl. Hall lost a loser-leaves-town match. Pvt. Foley … I don’t even recognize him any more. Now I am the last survivor of the Cobra Corps .

Resnick : But surely, you have been teaming with “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes of late.

Sarge : Dusty Rhodes has been a good ally to me, but he has his own battles to fight. I have nobody left under my command. It looks like I will have to fight my last campaigns on my own.

There is some commotion from the fans as somebody comes out and heads to the ring. It’s the members of Rocky Mountain Thunder, Leon White and Too Cold Scorpio. White asks for the microphone and looks Sarge directly in the eye.

White : Very sorry to interrupt, Mister, umm, Sergeant, sir. I made some bad choices when I arrived in the AWA. Kevin Sullivan was the wrong leader for me, and he was trying to steer me down a bad path. My good friend Scorpio has been helping me find my way, and we both agree that there’s no better leader we could have than you. If you will take us, sir, we would be honored to serve you in the Cobra Corps.

Sarge stares at them for a while, then slowly raises his hand in a salute. White and Scorpio return his salute as the fans cheer.

Darryl Peterson & Jeff Gaylord vs. The Killer Bees

Judging by the look on his face, Sullivan was hugely displeased that his former charge now was a member of the Cobra Corps (then again, Sullivan pretty much always has that look on his face). Poor Brunzell and Blair getting caught in the path of his ill temper, as Sullivan directed his two huge trainees to punish the Bees, and they certainly delivered. Peterson and Gaylord seemed to sadistically relish the chance to batter their smaller opponents, following Sullivan’s every command but adding a bit of extra venom to each shot. After his usual series of huge suplexes, Peterson looked like he had Blair set up for the Wakigatame, but Sullivan ordered him to tag out and have Gaylord finish him off. Gaylord obliged by throwing Blair around like a rag doll before hitting a massive backbreaker and get the pinfall. Clearly Sullivan is looking to bring out the brute in his Varsity Club Rush charges.

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Mando Guerrero

Tanaka took the Southern Title from Mando last week in what some considered an upset. Mando clearly was determined to show this as a fluke and make his title reign a short one. He went straight after Tanaka, looking to overpower him and break him down. Tanaka, though, was not about to be taken lightly, fighting back hard with all of his wrestling and martial arts expertise. Every time it looked like Mando would have Tanaka set up for a submission hold, Tanaka would work his way free. Every time it looked like Mando would have Tanaka in place for a high flying move, Tanaka would recover in time to dodge out of the way. It finally looked like Mando would be able to wrap Tanaka up in the Gory Special, Tanaka was able to wriggle himself out of his clutches, and when Mando turned around , Tanaka nailed him with a roundhouse kick to the face that knocked him straight out. The three count was academic, and Tanaka is clearly a champion that one underestimates at their peril.

AWA American Title Match : Nick Bockwinkel © vs. Dan Spivey

Spivey has been gradually gaining ground on Bockwinkel in their recent matches, impressing many with his efforts and improvement in the ring. When he came out and did his usual routine of ripping off his t-shirt and flexing while cupping his ear to the audience, he actually was drawing a fair number of legitimate cheers from the fans. Helping this response was likely the fact that a) Kevin Sullivan was not in his corner for this match and B) the always cantankerous Larry Zbyszko was in Bockwinkel’s corner. Both competitors tried to get down to the business of the match and try to ignore Larry’s yapping away. Bock was as cool as ever, fending off Spivey’s power offense and showing his strong technical expertise. But Spivey kept chipping away at him, making sure that evey shot, every slam counted and he was clearly starting to wear down the champ. He finally had Bock in place for the Spivey Bomber, but as he was coming off the ropes , Larry reached in to snag his leg and trip him. Spivey briefly stumbled, but regained his footing in time to duck under a lariat by Bock. While Larry was pointing at his head to show how clever he was, Spivey came off the opposite ropes and nailed the Spivey Bomber. One … two … three!!! Half the crowd was in shock, while the other half roared their approval. One of those in shock was Larry Z, who stared slack-jawed before trying to blame Bock for the loss. The two almost came to blows and still ended up arguing all the way back to the locker room. Meanwhile, Spivey raised the belt above his head as the Spiveymaniacs cheered on their new champion.

AWA show from the Winnipeg Arena, Winnipeg, February 28th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Black Irish vs. The Onyx Express

Cameron powerslammed Koko for the victory

Doug Furnas & Brian Pillman vs. The Youngbloods

Pillman hit a top rope sunset flip on Blackman to score the pinfall

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Mando Guerrero

Bam Bam completely bowled over the former Southern Champion, dominating him before hitting a slingshot suplex for the win

Nord The Barbarian & Cactus Jack vs. The British Bullies

In a battle of brawling abilities against technical skills, Jones pinned Cactus after a takeover suplex

AWA Tag Team Title match : Chavo & Hector Guerrero © vs. The Killer Bees

Chavo caught Blair in a German Suplex to defend his title

Chris Adams vs. Jake Roberts

Adams was very close to hitting the Superkick on Roberts, but the Snake was able to dodge it and hit the DDT to win the match

AWA Canadian Title Match : Rick Martel © vs. Larry Zbysko

Martel dominated Larry through most of the match, but Zbyszko had loosened the ropes during the match when Martel and the ref were not paying attention. When Martel went for the slingshot splash, the loose ropes threw him off sufficiently that Larry was able to dodge out of the way. Larry then followed up with the trifecta of low blow kick , fistful of tights and both feet on the ropes to get the shocking one two three. The fans were baying for the blood of both Larry Z and the ref but the decision stood and there was a new Canadian champion.

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Leo Burke

Steamboat was making his first World Title defense in Winnipeg against the Canadian veteran, Burke. After the shenanigans of the last match, Steamboat and Burke brought back the crowds with an engaging technical match that ended with Steamboat hitting the top rope flying cross body press to get the pinfall.

SpiveyMania is running wild! Man he really deserves this title. You did such an excellent job with his build. I think we're heading for a Bock/Larry Z showdown. Looks like Slaughter has some strong allies. Sullivan is bringing out the brutality of the Varsity Rush .I like the Perez/Diamond team and Tanaka proved he's no fluke. Very curious to see who takes on Bam Bam.

AWA show from the Saddle Dome , Calgary, March 1st

Dog Collar Chain Match : Buzz Sawyer vs. Cactus Jack

A bloody battle that ended when Buzz hit a chain assisted Bulldog on Cactus to get the pin

Ron Simmons vs. Greg Gagne

Simmons flattened Gagne with a flying shoulder tackle for the win

Doug Furnas & Brian Pillman vs. The British Bullies

A fast paced tag match where Taylor was able to catch Pillman in the British Suplex to get the victory

Special Hockey Brawl : The Youngbloods vs. The Nasty Boys (courtesy of Lutte Internationale)

The special referee for this match was the young, up and coming Canadian actor Keanu Reeves, here to promote his hit film, Youngblood. The Youngbloods came out wearing Calgary Flames jerseys, drawing cheers from the fans, while the Nasty Boys wore Edmonton Oilers jerseys, drawing boos. What ended up happening was a crazy brawl that went all over the building , and the finish was Wellington pulling Sags’ jersey up over his head and delivering several brutal punches to the head and ribs, followed by Blackman delivering the bicycle kick. Reeves rushed over and counted the one two three for the local favorites.

Chris Adams vs. Steven Regal

Regal ducked the Superkick and hit the Iron Fist Punch to score the pinfall

Texas Death Match : Dusty Rhodes vs. Ken Patera

Patera hit a second rope kneedrop on Rhodes to get the final pinfall. Rhodes was about to make it back to his feet to beat the ten count, but Sheikh Kaissie swept his leg from outside the ring to cost him the match

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. The Razor Boys

Diamond caught Rose with a spinning back kick that sent him out of the ring, leading to a win for the Razor Boys by countout. Playboy After Dark retained the titles.

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Mike Rotundo

Rotundo was going for the Varsity Rush (Samoan Drop), but Steamboat countered with a crucifix. Rotundo was able to kick out and follow up with a leaping clothesline, but Steamboat was able to block that and counter with a roll up that got the one two three.

LOL "Wanna go pretty boy" classic! Keanu as the ref was all kinds of awesome. Maybe in a few years we can get him and Swayze for Bash at the Beach. The Texas Death match would of given me my money's worth and then there's an epic dog collar match as a bonus. Sawyer and Cactus is a dream feud for me. The Razor boys are looking razor sharp as they proved they're contenders. Steamboat with another strong title defense. Steamboat and Rotundo I'm sure put on a classic. Great card!

There was a lot of good stuff on that TV, but Spivey winning the title kind of dominates that show.

Snakepit/Bullies, Guerreros/Bees, Adams/Roberts, Martel/Zbysko, Steamboat/Burke...what a huge stacked card! Zbysko winning the Canadian Title trumps everything else for me.

Yeah, Sawyer/Cactus in a dog collar match is definitely a dream match. Then you get the TDM on top of it! Great series of shows!

Good to see Bigelow doing well in a learning environment, thanks for doing that. :)