Pro Wrestling Only

Heyman to manage Rousey?

iamthedoctor

According to WrestlingNewsSource.com, there are rumors circulating throughout wrestling that WWE officials are considering having Paul Heyman as the advocate for Ronda Rousey. Ronda made her debut at the Royal Rumble last Sunday and fans have been wondering what exactly they are going to do with her.

It is also rumored that Heyman is directly involved with creative on Ronda's booking. With all of this speculation about Ronda Rousey and if she will have Paul Heyman as her advocate, it will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman. And I am the advocate for the reigning, defending, undisputed, WWE RAW Woman's Champion, RONDA! ROUSEY!

Rinse and repeat at the four big ppvs, destroying all your top full timers as you go, go back to MMA after your year's contract is up, except your Hall of Fame Celebrity Wing induction, and bathe in the millions WWE paid you while Vince tries to make his battered Woman's division look good again after you made everyone look weak.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heyman is so stale next to Brock that I don't think this is a good idea. As a creative advocate for her to talk them out of doing something stupid, that's a different story. This is where wrestling suffers for Vince not liking managers. A fresh face that's younger and can cut great promos would be a better fit.

Part of me wonders if they should repackage Graves and put him in that role, just thinking outside the box. Arn Anderson would also be awesome if they wouldn't script him.

It'll never happen but I don't think Ronda should ever speak. Or at least very rarely and not for a long time. Her glare does more than words ever can for her. I don't think I'd even give her a mouthpiece but if I had to Heyman would be the only guy. Sure his material with Brock can be repetitive but when it's not he still knocks it out the park like nobody else in that role can. The thing with Ronda is you want her away from any pro wrestling traits and any other manager is a pro wrestling manager. But they ruined all that on Day 1 with the pointing to the Mania sign so whatever. They'll obviously book her strong but like with Brock they won't capture that true outsider force everyone bar the real heroes want to avoid. And she sure as shit shouldn't be working traditional style matches but aside from some early squashes I bet she does that too.

Ronda's going to be signed for more than one year. If they are hoping that having her will increase their next TV deal, she has to be under contract for at least two years since the current TV contract ends in September of 2019.

Also while I don't know if Heyman should be her on screen advocate he definately should be her advocate backstage. By all accounts he was the reason Goldberg's second WWE run was a success since he had a hand in the creative.

Agree that Heyman is beyond stale with Brock. But it's been 4 years now since he was paired with anyone else so I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. It's fresh and you know Paul will be motivated like hell to make it work. It's def. not my first option (or even top 3) but I wouldn't bet against it working

Vicki can't cut serious promos. She's hateable because of her shrieking and I love her, but she's not a Paul Heyman-style talker without being Paul Heyman himself.

That was probably the worst thing in the Rumble, anyone else than her would have been better.

Comedy spots in Rumbles are both good and necessary

Vicki can't cut serious promos. She's hateable because of her shrieking and I love her, but she's not a Paul Heyman-style talker without being Paul Heyman himself.

That was probably the worst thing in the Rumble, anyone else than her would have been better.

Comedy spots in Rumbles are both good and necessary

And frankly, there was something innately cool about getting to see Sasha interact with Eddy's wife.

I never even thought of that aspect til now, but yeah that is cool.

We're off-topic but, that's kind of how the Women's Royal Rumble worked this year. Do you care that this torchbearer for the revolution who idolized Eddy is interacting with his wife? What about Lita and Sasha interacting? Do you care that the Divas of Destruction are hugging in the ring before Nattie went full Nattie? What about Asuka usurping the Yes kicks from Brie? What about the Bellas as post-diva bully gatekeepers? Etc.

You can tell from Stacey's posts that there was a hell of a lot going on with that Rumble if you take the leap and immerse yourself in it. Was that true with the men's rumble? Sure, but I don't think quite as much. Maybe we take it for granted. Absolutely they take it for granted. Some of it is the amount of TV we have. Everything is far more interconnected now, but it wasn't with the women since so many we haven't seen in so long. It was very much like the Flair vs All of His Old Enemies bits of the 1992 one. You couldn't do that today because a guy like Reigns wrestles most of the roster in a given year.

Are there still plenty of opportunities for next year? Even with that same exact group? Yeah. I want to see Beth Phoenix interact with Molly now that we know Molly basically put her through wrestling school. I want to see Bayley get to interact with Lita. Or have an uber-babyface off with Molly. I want to see Torrie and Kelly Kelly interact because that would be bonkers. Etc and so on.

I never even thought of that aspect til now, but yeah that is cool.

We're off-topic but, that's kind of how the Women's Royal Rumble worked this year. Do you care that this torchbearer for the revolution who idolized Eddy is interacting with his wife? What about Lita and Sasha interacting? Do you care that the Divas of Destruction are hugging in the ring before Nattie went full Nattie? What about Asuka usurping the Yes kicks from Brie? What about the Bellas as post-diva bully gatekeepers? Etc.

You can tell from Stacey's posts that there was a hell of a lot going on with that Rumble if you take the leap and immerse yourself in it. Was that true with the men's rumble? Sure, but I don't think quite as much. Maybe we take it for granted. Absolutely they take it for granted. Some of it is the amount of TV we have. Everything is far more interconnected now, but it wasn't with the women since so many we haven't seen in so long. It was very much like the Flair vs All of His Old Enemies bits of the 1992 one. You couldn't do that today because a guy like Reigns wrestles most of the roster in a given year.

Are there still plenty of opportunities for next year? Even with that same exact group? Yeah. I want to see Beth Phoenix interact with Molly now that we know Molly basically put her through wrestling school. I want to see Bayley get to interact with Lita. Or have an uber-babyface off with Molly. I want to see Torrie and Kelly Kelly interact because that would be bonkers. Etc and so on.

For me the womens Rumble came off alot better than the mens one.

That's at least the idea for the Mania match, but I don't know that it's the idea beyond that. It makes sense if you accept these truths:

(1) They care more about television rights and stock prices than house show attendance and network subscriptions since the former are primary sources of revenue.

(2) Because of this, their customers are on Wall Street now, not in their live crowds. In fact, we aren't the target audience, we're the product, presented to shareholders in sheer numbers -- number of viewers, number of social media followers, number of countries where they have fans, etc. They don't want the bottom to fall out, but we aren't the end goal anymore. We're mostly something they can brag about to the people they really care about.

(3) They have decided that they want their public face to no longer be a man in his 70s, but a working mom.

(4) As the face and voice of the company (the Chief Brand Officer), they want to put Stephanie's name out there more and make her more visible, because they think that is good for the image of the company and will make WWE more visible.

(5) They think it is more important to the company's future to get Stephanie over with the general public and their shareholders than it is to generate interest in a hot new star or get their wrestling fanbase excited about something.

Are all of those things true? I don't know 100%, but I suspect they are.