Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-23-NJPW-Memorial Battle in Yokohama] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Great Muta

Superstar Sleeze

Tatsumi Fujinami vs The Great Muta - NJPW 9/2/3/91

I give you, The Great Muta, in all his violent glory. He bashes Fujinami's head into exposed turnbuckles, grinds a spike into forehead, slams a toolbox into his head and hits him with canvas poles. Great piledriver in the ring. He gnaws on the bloody cut. He grinds the open wound into the exposed turnbuckle. His bloodlust is insatiable. In the ring, he cuts Fujinami off at every pass, with kicks, suplexes and oh just throwing him head first into hard, metal objects. I don't think I have ever heard that much heel heat in Japan. At least loud booing on three occasions. The Great Muta was just destroying Fujinami here. Fujinami started the match off red hot. He knows The Great Muta and how he is a horror movie monster come to life. He took it right to the beast. Great suicide dive to the outside wiping him out and the bodyslam. The thing is he let up on the gas pedal. Muta rolled under the ring. He undid the turnbuckle padding. You cant let that happen. The first time was an accident when the crown of Fujinami's head strikes the exposed turnbuckle and knocks him loopy. It was all down hill. But after bashing Fujinami's head with everything he could find under the ring and drawing blood. He could not put the Ace of New Japan away. Multiple Saito Suplexes and even a package piledriver and Fujinami would not stay down as Antonio Inoki looked on. Muta missed his trademark back handspring elbow. Fujinami gets in a kick and then Billy Robinson backbreaker! DRAGON SLEEPER! Can he pull off a miracle? Foot on the rope. OH NOW THE REF ENFORCES THE RULES! Fujinami punches Muta repeatedly in the corner as the ref tries to pull him off. If I was Fujinami, I would have been like "Where the hell were you when he was hitting ME WITH A FUCKING TOOLBOX!" The ref keeps at it. GREEN MIST~! It hits the ref not Fujinami. Fujinami cant win the with the ref. Two Saito suplexes, Fujinami is beside himself, he has the monster on the ropes, but no ref. German Suplex, bridge! He gets a visual three, but the ref is down. Fujinami goes for the ten punches in the corner, BALLSHOT! YES! YES! YES! The one last check box on all time heel performance. I love it! Muta gets a glass bottle and colddocks Fujinami. He revives the ref and hits his moonsault for the win. Spikes, piledrivers, blood, ballshots, MIST, Glass Bottles. Amazing heel performance from The Great Muta.

The Great Muta in all his violent glory! ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1991-09-23-NJPW-Memorial Battle in Yokohama] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Great Muta
  • 4 years later...

Great Muta vs Tatsumi Fujinami (9-23-1991)

NJPW

We start September with an old friend, Tatsumi Fujinami, working as an old man against younger talent, now his job is to make stars and he delivered this time facing off against one of the most frustratingly inconsistent wrestlers of the 1990’s along with Manami Toyota, Keiji Mutoh more specifically his alter ego The Great Muta, he makes the most out of Mutoh’s strengths and he hid his weaknesses in a very convincing way, Mutoh looks like a million bucks, charismatic, intense and blood thirsty all at the same time, the thing that struck me the most in this match was that Keiji’s offense didn’t change, what changed was the way his offense was presented, here all his moves felt justified, some of his later matches are so driven by his moves that end up feeling completely directionless, Fujinami put his opponent in an interesting spot, Mutoh had to face a veteran, an amazing general and look better than him, brawling was the only way out of that situation, the most memorable parts of this match happen when they are outside the ring, it was clear from the get go that Mutoh was going to get his hand raised at the end but he earned it in the process, Mutoh has always been in a strange spot for me because he’s clearly inferior to Shinya Hashimoto but he’s way better than Chono, there was a very famous match between Hashimoto and Nobuhiko Takada in April 29th 1996, that match is considered the peak of the NJPW vs UWF-I rivalry, it happened after Mutoh lost to Takada in the event NJPW Wrestling World of that year (the equivalent of today’s Wrestle Kingdom), Mutoh will always be overshadowed by Shinya Hashimoto but to be honest who isn’t.