r/SquaredCircle's 100 Greatest Matches Ever Poll

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 1246 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

I actually was expecting the absence of any lucha in this type of list, but no joshi is weird. No love for Han and Tamura is also quite sad.

But I can't say it's a surprising list. Wreddit has their own particular taste an demographich, PWO has theirs. Particularly, I'm in the middle of those two.

#22 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8195 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

I just read this off that subreddit: "Onita in AJPW before he fucked up his knee was great. FMW Onita is all smoke, mirrors, and theater." So, yeah, it's a weird place.

#23 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

I'd probably have around 20 of those matches in my top 100...

What surprises me is the lack of Kobashi and Danielson. I would have expected a list with that much Omega, Okada, and HBK to also have a fair amount of Kobashi and Danielson...

#24 Tawren

Tawren
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

I'd probably have around 20 of those matches in my top 100...

What surprises me is the lack of Kobashi and Danielson. I would have expected a list with that much Omega, Okada, and HBK to also have a fair amount of Kobashi and Danielson...

Yeah it's a weird list. It's interesting to pick through.

I'm surprised some of the 'classic indy' matches aren't on there - Punk's major WWE matches vs Cena, Lesnar, Taker are on but not Punk vs Joe from 2004? 

And there's no way on a poll of that size, that the majory of people on R/SC have seen 29) PWG World Championship: Chris Hero © vs. Bryan Danielson - September 4, 2009 - there's just no way. Especially with how many modern WWE and NJPW matches are in the top 50. So it's interesting to see what matches are highly regarded as classics and get votes just because of that aura and I'm really surprised Hero/Danielson from 2009 PWG is there. It's really good though.

#25 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 847 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

I just read this off that subreddit: "Onita in AJPW before he fucked up his knee was great. FMW Onita is all smoke, mirrors, and theater." So, yeah, it's a weird place.

Where did this person get that talking point? Where are the lists of pimped 70s Onita? 

#26 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1344 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:57 AM

EDIT: Okay, Jim Duggan match in the Top 100? This list isn't half bad. I'd be shocked if the GWE forums produces a better one.

Are you on the GWE forums? I'm curious why your expectations are so low.

Or, I'm being trolled into a reply. I suppose that's possible too.

As usual with lists like these, as soon as a collective of individuals is working on it with each vote given the same weight despite the gaps between them in expertise and input of time, you will see a general drop of quality in the outcome as opposed to looking at each list individually and picking out the best one.

That is why democracy doesn't work, and the only way get a great or even perfect list is to wait for a monarch or god to bestow it to us, or until it is deduced by scholars from a credible source e.g. the Bible.

From what it looks like now, the GWE forums list will have a heavy bias towards 80s/90s stuff. Then you replace all the generic canonized recent NJPW classics in the Reddit list with classic canonized picks e.g. AJPW matches, women's matches and territory stuff, then your outcome is about the same. This is not to smite Reddit users or GWE forums users, since I will participate in the GWE and am looking forward to the outcome. The best type of list, in my opinion, does not aim for accuracy or representation, but rather, hilarity and honesty, as seen in the WKO lists of yore.

As far as Onita goes, I remember him vs. Chavo being quietly really good.

#27 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3944 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:01 AM

I'm starting to see why the GME project isn't on the board.  And I don't necessarily disagree with Jetlag's post either.

#28 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

I love these lists as a dip into the waters into the mindset of a group of people. All lists help with that especially when confined to individual boards. 

#29 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11171 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

Where did this person get that talking point? Where are the lists of pimped 70s Onita? 

I'm trying to remember which Onita tag I really love. 

Is it: 6/6/82 Ric Flair & Dick Slater vs. Giant Baba & Onita 

It might be?

#30 ShittyLittleBoots

ShittyLittleBoots
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

I LOVE Danielson vs. Fish, but I find it so hilarious that it made reddit's list :D  It's especially amazing when you consider all the more hyped classic Danielson indy matches that didn't make the cut. Good stuff.

#31 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

But guys as u/spankmemommy said war games 1992 could really do with better fight cheorgraphy. So naturally it is left off the list.

#32 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11171 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Didn't Austin just downplay War Games 1992 a few months ago? 

#33 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

Didn't Austin just downplay War Games 1992 a few months ago? 

When war games for NXT was announced he talked about it a bit saying it was really easy to work and that he got great colour. But not really playing down the match all that much

#34 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2993 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

Austin did a Wargames '92 podcast and rated it **1/2-***. He really did think the match was disappointing.

#35 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

Austin did a Wargames '92 podcast and rated it **1/2-***. He really did think the match was disappointing.

Got a link or date on that, could be an interesting listen.

#36 zep81

zep81
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

Got a link or date on that, could be an interesting listen.

https://www.podchase...r-1992-23362304

#37 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2993 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Thank you for providing that link.

#38 dkookypunk43

dkookypunk43
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

I would say I'm caught in the middle of these domographics between Wreddit and PWO. I enjoy what has come in recent years but I'm also willing to look in the past and see what great wrestling was. I feel that glancing at this list, I would have 50 to 65 matches on this list on my personal list. But I have some of the 80s stuff higher on my list. Joshi is a blindspot as well as lucha. I gotta improve that

#39 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

I'm trying to remember which Onita tag I really love. 

Is it: 6/6/82 Ric Flair & Dick Slater vs. Giant Baba & Onita 

It might be?

Oh, I get that there's early Onita we've enjoyed, but I have serious doubts that whomever made that comment on reddit has ever seen much of it, let alone much FMW Onita to compare. It sounds like something they read somewhere, memorized, and repeated. It's vague enough that it doesn't sound like they've hardly seen an Onita match. 

#40 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:02 AM

Not everybody likes brawling/deathmatch stuff, so I don't have a hard time believing someone would prefer junior Onita. I'm not a huge fan of the exploding barbedwire stuff myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users