r/SquaredCircle's 100 Greatest Matches Ever Poll

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43976 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

More power to them. There probably are some things some of us could learn from some of those polled, and vice versa, but I suspect it wouldn't go well.

#42 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5572 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

I thought their top 10 was a pretty fair list. I don't think I've seen that Ted Petty match with Quack and Claudio. I going to have to seek that one out.

#43 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

Not everybody likes brawling/deathmatch stuff, so I don't have a hard time believing someone would prefer junior Onita. I'm not a huge fan of the exploding barbedwire stuff myself.

I'm psyched anyone is talking about any Onita in 2018 to be honest :)

His recent exploding baseball bat stuff is fun but, quite goofy BTW. For example: Atushi Onita, Aja Kong & Okamoto vs Bob Sapp, Jaguar Yokota & TARU - Explosion match (05/12/17 Zero-1)

Also, Quack vs Claudio is a blast. The finish is kinda mind blowing IIRC.

#44 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

Part of me thinks that the culture of searching for hidden gems means leaving behind established "classics".  Granted I only say that because that's how I am ha

#45 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5572 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

That list isn't nearly as horrific as I thought it would be. It's actually a pretty good view into the mind of someone that has focused mostly on the U.S. scene and mainstream puro.

#46 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

Looking over this again, it comes across as a single person's (or perhaps 2-3 people's) list. Its not really like its focused on the US scene and mainstream puro after closer inspection.

It's super WWE heavy, with uber pimped NJ matches from the last few years. Then it seems like randomly inserted matches from a variety of top 10 lists. Top AJPW matches from this list sprinkled here, some PWG matches from their Best Of comps with mainstream guys, some ROH matches over there, little WCW/JCP sprinkled in...So it looks like its well balanced but, its so biased. For instance, other than the Steiners '91 WO MOTY there are no other NJPW matches from the 90's...not 1 Liger match for instance. And no Tiger Mask match. So, the 90's Jr. & TM negative viewpoints have reached the mainstream fans?

Edit: Never mind saw the TM Dynamite match in there

But even then, I get the feeling that's the only match that the list maker(s) saw from 80's NJPW. Like OK, this is the best that 80's NJ has to offer then, that's all I need to see!

I think it would have been better had they not numbered the list :)

#47 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

By checking this list on Reddit, it says it was done via cagematch ratings system and votes from people, also the posts were not upvoted much so I would suggest one reason for the seemingly random placements of Danielson Vs hero etc is that it was there based off its very high rating on cagematch, not people voting for it.

#48 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

By checking this list on Reddit, it says it was done via cagematch ratings system and votes from people, also the posts were not upvoted much so I would suggest one reason for the seemingly random placements of Danielson Vs hero etc is that it was there based off its very high rating on cagematch, not people voting for it.

Well, there you go. That list makes a lot more sense now. 

#49 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

I'm no computer wizard but, uh man, Skynet has taken over wrestling taste making! :D

#50 Kadaveri

Kadaveri
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

No it was only based on the votes. The Cagematch rating is only given as a note of interest.

#51 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

The misinformation era continues.

#52 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

The misinformation era continues.
Yes then, it it is useless utter garbage!

Very much like monkeys at the typewriter...que Sera Sera... And such :)

#53 TheBestThereNeverWillBe

TheBestThereNeverWillBe
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Omega vs Okada at the Dome wasn't even the best match of last YEAR.. hell, it wasn't even the match match the two had together

#54 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

people calling  me  trollish  this list  is pure  troll    

#55 oldbirds

oldbirds
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:07 PM

Honestly this says so much about reddit's fanbase - and most smart fans trying to fit in. They won't consider a match unless it's approved by the entire community. Personally I think Rey-Finlay from Smackdown in 06/07 was better than a great deal of those matches. Why can't they find a match from memory and at least throw it in the list?

#56 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

no   Han ,Tamura   Ikeda  no  LLPW  no JWP  No  Zenjo   no RINGS  not UWF if nay vintage   no ten man  Gauntlet[ you knoe wjat one i mean]   no Liger vs  Sano[ any of them]   os many issues with this list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users