Pro Wrestling Only

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling- March 86

spaldoni

Pretty great card here in Greensboro. I will say it again that Billy Robinson will always hold a special spot in my heart because I'm pretty sure he and my grandma hooked up. She tells me about him and always speaks of how handsome he was so she probably did some work on that back in the days when he was doing the Illinois AWA circuit. I'm really excited for Paul orndorff's opportunity here in Mid Atlantic I always felt like he was overshadowed in the WWF with Hogan and could really be a top-level guy. He is somebody who has the look in the Charisma to carry a company and here he is got a lot of different pieces to go up against.

I'm still struggling to be in Austin Idol apologist I just don't know if he has any appeal to me. Everyone has done such a great job at building him but I just can't buy into it yet I don't know if I need to see more film of him recommendations are welcome.

New NWA Tag Team Champions and rightfully so. The Road Warriors are an Unstoppable force and perhaps the immovable object wrapped into one and the current NWA. I also like Oles situation with JJ I still think that only has some UPS in terms of his career and ability to carry a match and an angle at this point and it could definitely be seen with the way that you write it.

Ric Flair and Harley Race go the distance for an awesome contest to cap off a great card. The subtleties that you put into the contest really make it that much more exciting to read and more meaningful when it puts everything together. Fantastic card

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With moves that we all know are coming, that might just have been the biggest show in this game to date! Flair gets some love with this match after recent struggles while the rest of the 4 Horsemen have some serious question marks swirling around them.

Excited for the Road Warriors to be the next NWA Champions and for all you NWA members, please, please use them often.

I also agree with Lowblow about Orndorff.... he is and will continue to be a star for MACW.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lowblow, great story about your Grandma and Robinson. Even though he's in the later years of his career here, I always thought he could still go. Yea, I'm excited to have Orndorff and I have some huge plans for him as a main event guy. I'm really going to try and get Austin Idol over big time. LOL, I thought having him beat Tully with his own finisher would be a great way to get him over in Greensboro (which is the heart and soul of MACW). Also happy to do a huge title change and cant wait to see the reign of the Road Warriors. I have been looking forward to doing a Flair/Race match since December. So glad I got to do that.

I would normally do my 2nd card tomorrow but I'll be gone most of the day.

MACW @ the Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium, Fayetteville NC 3-30-86

Pedro Morales vs. Mike Sharpe

Sharpe gets in control early with an eye rake and body slam. Pedro comes firing back with fists flying. He swings Sharpe to the ropes and back body drops him then follows with the Caribbean Lift to get the pin!

Tiger Jeet Singh vs. "Cowboy" Scott Casey

Casey waits in the ring as Singh storms down the aisle, swinging his sword like a madman. Singh knocks over anybody in his way. Singh gets into the ring and swings his sword at the Ref. The bell rings and Casey hits Singh from behind with a drop kick, sending the sword flying out of the ring. Casey keeps the momentum going as he hip tosses, body slams and drop kicks Singh all over the ring. Casey swings Singh into the turnbuckles and charges in, but his momentum is stopped when Singh hits him with a running clothesline. Singh just starts pounding away on Casey. He chokes him with his boot then jumps down and chokes him, he breaks at the Ref's count of 4 then continues choking. Singh body slams Casey, then hoists him up and drops him with an Argentine back breaker drop for the pin! Singh gets his sword and comes back into the ring and chokes Casey with it. The fans boo as Singh continues his assault then storms out, swinging his sword towards the fans.

American Made vs. The Soul Patrol

Fun match between two contending face teams. The match is back and forth with solid clean wrestling. Soul Patrol get control as Norvell suplexes Kirchner and Sugar follows with an elbow drop. Soul Patrol work over Kirchner with quick tags. A turning point comes when Sugar swings Kirchner to the ropes, Kirchner reverses it and Kernodle hits Sugar in the back with a knee. Norvell is pointing and yelling at Kernodle. Kirchner tags in Kernodle. Kernodle body slams Sugar and drops a knee then covers but Norvell breaks it with a knee drop. Tempers flare a bit as Kirchner runs in but the Ref gets control quickly. Sugar finally tags in Norvell and Norvell sends Kernodle back with a flying knee. Kernodle tags in Kirchner. Kirchner and Norvell have a good exchange. Norvell hits a diving headbutt on Kirchner and covers but Kernodle breaks it with a kick, which brings in Sugar. The Ref guides Sugar back. Kernodle hits Norvell with a neck breaker and puts Kirchner on top of him. The Ref turns around and counts 1..2..3! Kernodle runs in and helps Kirchner up and raises their arms as Sugar attends to Norvell and gives Kernodle a hard look.

Bob Backlund vs. Alexis Smirnoff w/The Iron Sheik

Sheik distracts Backlund as Smirnoff attacks Backlund from behind. Smirnoff hammers away on Backlund then body slams him. Smirnoff hits a flying knee off the 2nd turnbuckle and covers but Backlund kicks out. Smirnoff continues his assault and chokes away on Backlund. The Ref pushes Smirnoff away, then the Sheik chokes Backlund on the bottom rope. This goes on a couple more times until a roar comes over the crowd as Hacksaw Duggan comes down the aisle. Duggan clotheslines Sheik on the outside. Smirnoff is yelling at Duggan. Backlund comes up from behind and hits Smirnoff with a back suplex. Backlund picks up Smirnoff, runs across the ring and drops him with the running Atomic Drop, the Ref counts 1..2..3! The fans cheer as Backlund raises his fist to the crowd and Duggan gives him the thumbs up.

Rocky Johnson and "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley vs. The Devil's Duo w/Paul Jones

Devil's Duo tries to attack from behind but Johnson and Cooley clean house and punch the Duo out of the ring. Jones councils his men and they get back on the apron. Sword tries to sucker punch Johnson but Johnson blocks it and hits Sword with a flurry of punches then swings him to the ropes and back drops him. Johnson tags in Cooley. Cooley swings off the ropes and drops an elbow on Sword then covers 1..2..No, Vines drops a knee to break it. Sword tags in Vines, Vines runs in but is hip tossed and drop kicked by Cooley. Johnson is tagged in and he swings Vines to the ropes and puts him down with a clothesline. Sword runs in and hits Johnson from behind with a clothesline. Cooley runs in and hits Sword with a clothesline. The Duo work over Johnson and double slam him, then hit him with a double fist drop. Vines covers but Cooley hits him with a leg drop to break the count. Jones is livid and gets up on the apron. Cooley runs over and Jones leaps back down. Sword hits Cooley from behind and all four men start brawling. Cooley back drops Sword over the ropes and to the outside. Johnson dropkicks Vines into Cooley, Cooley scoops up Vines and hits the Oklahoma Stampede, Johnson jumps up and drops an elbow and the Ref counts 1..2..3!

Jimmy Snuka and Polynesian Power vs. US tag champs The Stud Stable and Blackjack Mulligan

Snuka, Tui and Sakalia have the crowd on their feet as they hammer away on their opponents. Snuka jumps up and headbutts Mulligan out of the ring. Polynesian Power drop kick the Stud Stable out of the ring. The Ref gets control and Snuka and Mulligan start the match with a brawl. Mulligan hammers away with punches as Snuka comes back with chops. After this teaser they tag out. Tui and Golden have an exchange, Fuller runs in when Tui gets the upper hand but Sakalia puts him down with a super kick. Tui body slams Golden and follows with a jumping elbow smash. Tui tags in Sakalia. they swing Golden to the ropes and hit a double back body drop. Sakalia covers but Fuller drops a knee to break it. The Stud Stable take control as they pick up Sakalia and double suplex him back. Mulligan gets the tag and stomps away on Sakalia. Mulligan swings him to the ropes and hits a flying back elbow smash. Mulligan covers but Snuka breaks it. Mulligan and Snuka have another exchange. The Stud Stable run in and stomp on Sakalia. Tui gets up on the top rope and hits Fuller and Golden with a flying drop kick! Mulligan and Snuka end up fighting on the outside. Tui helps Sakalia up and they punch away on the Stud Stable. Everybody is fighting. The Ref cant get control and has no choice but to ring the bell, calling for a Double Disqualification. The bell is ringing but everybody keeps fighting.

"Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant vs. Johnny Rich w/Paul Jones

Another brawl as the bell rings and both men go at it. Jones tries to get involved early but Valiant swings Rich into him, knocking him out of the ring. Valiant dances around and hits Rich at the same time. Valiant body slams Rich then jumps down and bites his forehead. Valiant grabs the ropes and drops several knees on Rich. Valiant covers 1..2..No, Jones reaches in and grabs his foot. The Ref and Valiant are arguing and warning Jones. Rich grabs Valiant and suplexes him back. Rich drops a knee then jumps down and chokes away on Valiant. Rich swings Valiant to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Valiant kicks him. Valiant gets his boogie back and punches away on Rich, swings him to the ropes and back drops him. Valiant swings Rich to the ropes and clamps on the sleeper. Rich is flailing his arms and hits the Ref. The Ref goes down. Valiant drops Rich and tries to help the Ref. Jones runs in the ring and hits Valiant on the back of his head with his cane! Jones exits the ring. Rich slowly gets up, then helps the Ref up. Rich hops up on the 2nd turnbuckle and lands a flying fist drop on Valiant for the pin!

Hacksaw Duggan vs. The Iron Sheik w/Alexis Smirnoff

The bell rings and Duggan storms over and takes out both Smirnoff and Sheik with a double clothesline! The first few minutes is all Duggan as he pounds away on the Sheik. Smirnoff tries to interfere more than once and the crowd roars as Bob Backlund charges in and hammers away on Smirnoff, fighting him all the way to the back. Duggan slams Sheik, then backs up and gets in a 3 point stance. Duggan charges over but Sheik moves and Duggan crashes into the turnbuckles. Sheik gut wrench suplexes Duggan over then stomps away and chokes him. Sheik starts to stomp away on the back, then drops several knees on the back. Sheik then applies the Camel Clutch! The fans are cheering Duggan on as he tries to fight it. Sheik wrenches back. Duggan wont submit. Duggan starts clenching his fists. Duggan starts to rise! The crowd is roaring. Duggan stands and runs back with Sheik, slamming him into the turnbuckles! Both men fall forward. Duggan rises, grabs Sheik, swings him to the ropes and hits him with a running shoulder block. Duggan picks up Sheik, walks around the ring and slams him down. Duggan backs up and gets in a 3 point stance. Sheik wobbles up and Duggan charges in and nails him with the running clothesline! The crowd counts along with the Ref, 1..2..3!!!!

I like what you are doing with Polynesian Power here.

I hope we are heading for Backlund & Duggan vs The Iron Sheik & Alexis Smirnoff. To me, that's the essence of pro wrestling in America in the 80s.

Count me in among those excited to see the Road Warriors with the tag straps. With Martel as World Champ, Flair as US Champ, and the Roadies as Tag Champs, the NWA is well-represented anywhere and everywhere they go!

Great shows all over North Carolina. The fans would leave happy here with a lot of their favorites getting nice wins. I really believe that if Polynesian Power spent time in the US as had the Samoan Connection (Farmer Boy Ipo and Samoan LeRoy Brown) that they both could have been as big as the Wild Samoans.

A lot of patriotic matches going on here which is exactly what Southern Wrestling should be about. We test the waters of racism and prejudice and see how far the fans will allow us to push. Nothing sells like Duggan vs The Iron Sheik!

As I stated last time, Cooley getting a push here is really cool. I wish we had one or two new writers who loved a small promotion as guys like Cooley could gain a few titles.

What a great show! Nice win for Orndorff over Sammartino. I'm the opposite of LowBlow when it comes to Austin Idol, I grew up on Austin Idol in both Memphis and Southeastern...not the best in ring worker by any stretch but his charisma and promo skills made up for that and he came off like a big star wherever he went and this sorta win over someone the caliber of Tully Blanchard shoots him right to the head of the class here in Mid Atlantic, I love it!!

The Road Warriors are a great choice for World Tag Team Champions as in this area they would spike ticket sales in any area they go to. They can come in and beat your top heels but not kill their heat because of their aura.

Loved the Flair/Race match here as it continues to show that Race can still hang with the best in the game and as everyone loves to chant today, "he's still got it."

I'm so glad to see the push of Wendell Cooley, he's another guy I grew up watching in Memphis and Continental (and later Mid South via tape trading) and I've always thought he could have been a much bigger star in the business if used correctly. I did ok booking him in Continental but when I started booking Texas he got lost in the shuffle with the Von Erichs and company.

Polynesian Power is a nice addition to help Snuka out against the Stud Stable & Mulligan. Tiger Jeet Singh is playing the right role so far, especially on TV. Hot Property are getting a goood push and I like it. The Horsemen ending the show with a message was really good.

Robinson with the underhanded win is a perfect result. Orndorff again piledrives David at will. The Horsemen seem to implode but Flair is looking nostalgic.

Big night for the babyfaces in Fayetteville. Hacksaw and Backlund teaming up has to be the most goofy patriotic duo ever. That 6 man brawl was the highlight of that show for me.