Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Royal Rumble?

Flyin' Brian

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can he be so ignorant about the political context of this particular show is beyond me though. It's bad enough that WWE seems to think that makes it ok to just pay the women anyway (hey, it's good that they do, but it doesn't make it ok).

I havent seen that quote in context, but it seems like he didnt know why they werent booked.

When I read his quote, its worded like WWE just made a call to have no womens matches on the show.

I have no idea if he knew or not. It just reads that way.

I would find it incredibly hard to believe anyone would not know why women would not be booked on a show in Saudi Arabia. I don't think there's a bubble large enough to shield anyone from the realities of that part of the world.

And he's not very good at that anymore either.

Anyway, he's fully aware of why they weren't on the show, that they weren't allowed to be, to begin with. Talks about how having WWE import Western culture will increase the chances of Saudi customs being relaxed and have women wrestle there in the future, but "You earn your right to be on the card!" It actually sounds worse than when you read it.

https://youtu.be/hYzCKqVY6C8?t=7m54s

On his latest podcast, Jim Ross was not on board with the idea of paying the women. On the rumors going around about the woman getting paid, Ross said, “I have no idea. I don’t know why it would be that way. It’s not everybody’s right to be on any card. You earn your right to be on the card, and the women have done a phenomenal job and I am as big a supporter of women’s athletics in general. Hey, I’m a season ticket holder to the OU women’s basketball games. I’m a big fan of the OU women’s softball team the defending national champions. So I’m a big fan. I believe the same thing about WrestleMania. It’s not your birthright to be booked. It’s like playing in the Super Bowl. It’s not your right as an NFL player, you earn that right to get in that game. So I believe that the women — I don’t know if they were paid or not. I don’t know why they would have been paid and I may piss some people off but I’m just being honest. It’s my problem I have sometimes, being honest.”

Jim Ross is a Grouchy and Vile Human Being: Take two.