Pro Wrestling Only

Hulk Hogan returning to WWE

Strummer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this totally makes sense given that Smackdown Live will now theoretically find themselves without authority figures. So, Hogan stepping in as commissionner or General Manager isn't far-fetched.

But I'd be damned if they won't try to have Hogan team with Braun against The Bar at Wrestlemania, just for the pop Hogan & Braun would get. I'd like to think that if WWE wants to cement Braun as a top babyface on RAW, that'd do the trick.

The link in the OP basically stated WWE has reached out and could have plans, hardly "Hogan is returning to WWE" worthy. Especically in light of having the Moolah Battle Royal blow up in their faces, I doubt they want to have the guy on tape making racial slurs as their next WM plan.

I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't care...I hope he does go back. What he did was wrong and stupid and thoughtless and hurtful, but I don't think he deserves to be exiled for life. I don't want to see him wrestle, but rather as an ambassador and doing charity events and pubic relations stuff for them, plus as a talking head on documentaries and stuff like that. Hulk Hogan is way too big a part of what made WWE what it is today for him to spend the rest of his life as somebody they gloss over.

I second the motion for Hogan to be brought back - but in the same position/role that a Flair, Bret, Shawn, etc. are in. You can call it being an ambassador, you can call it being a "recurring guest star," but if IIRC, his last few appearances with the company were really shaky with noticeable gaffes in his live segments so the idea of him being on SD every week sounds like a terrible idea. A special guest on house shows? Sure. Charity work? Fine. Just no need to see him more than 2-3 times a year.

What was more interesting to me in this OP link was the mention that Hogan was set to wrestle Cena at WrestleMania 25. I think I'd heard this rumor before but always took it as Hogan BS - I mean, even 9 years ago, Hogan was basically retired or wrestling very safe matches against his buddies (Big Show and Flair). Then again, he did get in the ring in 2010-2012, so its not completely impossible.

Plus, even then, I thought the real booking plan was Hogan/Jericho at WM25 as Jericho was feuding with Mickey Rourke and the legends at the time. The idea there would've been that Hogan would've been there to shut Jericho up after all the trash talking and whatnot he'd pulled against the 80s guys (Snuka, Steamboat, etc.)

The rumors for WM 25 were Hogan vs Cena and Edge vs Big Show based around Vicki. When Hogan couldn't go, they made that a 3 way feud with the belt on the line. Here's hoping Hulk comes back, be it for more extras footage for DVDs and the Network, or the Smackdown Commissioner. As much as I love the idea of him being Braun's teammate, I just don't see any way he can wrestle at this point, he's 64 now. Even if he looks in great shape on the outside, his body probably can't take much more than a couple bumps for a match. He could win a battle royal like the Iron Sheik at WM17 where he doesn't have to bump, and he can sell a ringpost shot like he did at WM32, but a full match would seem unlikely.

Guys from that era have shown to struggle mightly in the current script heavy WWE. Piper and Flair had issues, and Kurt is 50-50 if he can make it throught a typically overly wordy promo without bumbling. Hogan's always been a case of diminishing returns post 2002 or so, the best case scenario would be to show up on a Raw-after-Mania level show to get the big nostalgia pop and then have Heath Slater run into a few punches for him. Having him as any sort of recurring character would not be best for either side.

I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't care...I hope he does go back. What he did was wrong and stupid and thoughtless and hurtful, but I don't think he deserves to be exiled for life. I don't want to see him wrestle, but rather as an ambassador and doing charity events and pubic relations stuff for them, plus as a talking head on documentaries and stuff like that. Hulk Hogan is way too big a part of what made WWE what it is today for him to spend the rest of his life as somebody they gloss over.

For better or worse, the company has continued to embrace people with checkered pasts and embarrassing incidents. At least he has apologized for what he has said, even if the veracity of his apologies are questionable. In today's world, can you imagine what kind of shit Warrior would be spewing right now? Things he said, even months before he died, were just as offensive if not more so than what Hogan did given the circumstances of when he said it.

• 1 month later...