Pro Wrestling Only

Hulk Hogan returning to WWE

Strummer

I could see them using him as they did before he was let go: Wrestlemania or big ppv nostalgia appearance. Which I normally wouldn't mind (the Mania 30 segment with him, Austin, and Rock was great, as was his birthday celebration angle with Brock), but it's probably just best to leave things as is.

Don't whitewash him from history, maybe interview him for a Network special regarding someone he knew or angle he was a part of, but no reason for him to be on TV.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pretty much have to keep him in a speaking role, so your options are let him ramble (brother) or have him try to recite overscripted 2018 WWE speak that everyone of his generation has struggled mightily with.

Have him come out to get the welcome back to the family pop, let him do his gimmick where he pretends he wants the crowd to stop cheering which only eggs them on to cheer more, then keep him as a talking head for DVD/network specials.

New line of merch on WWEShop coupled with some special ref type angle down the line?

Can he even get down to his knees to make a count at this point? I guess he can be like Mongo in TNA and do a standing count.

I think he'll be used like he was before in 2015 as a talking head, maybe hosting a network special or something, and coming out for special appearances. I don't recall him doing a lot physically in 2014/15 other than taking a bump off of X-Pac during the Sting/HHH match.

New line of merch on WWEShop coupled with some special ref type angle down the line?

Can he even get down to his knees to make a count at this point? I guess he can be like Mongo in TNA and do a standing count.

I think he'll be used like he was before in 2015 as a talking head, maybe hosting a network special or something, and coming out for special appearances. I don't recall him doing a lot physically in 2014/15 other than taking a bump off of X-Pac during the Sting/HHH match.

That match he had with Sting in TNA was pretty amazing considering he really couldn't bump anymore.

True.

Hard to believe that was nearly 7 years ago, but the match itself was everything Starrcade 97 could have been from bell to bell.

The post-match was magic. Great moment. Hogan had the crowd in the palm of his hand all over again, and I still remember getting legit chills when a beaten & bloodied Hogan ripped off the white shirt & hulked up that night.

I acknowledge that there's nothing atypical about how WWE handled the whole thing as a company, but for them to just fire him and wash their hands of the whole thing always rubbed me the wrong way. How did a guy who holds these views rise to the level he did in this world, traveling so extensively in the company of others, and interacting with so many fans, without anyone noticing? And if the company knew it and didn't care because he was such a cash cow, aren't they just as bad as him? (These are rhetorical questions, but stay with me.) They marketed him to children for the better part of the decade, only for him to later be exposed as a bigot, a drug user, and someone who can't be trusted on any issue. They built a national empire around him. Sure, you can't blame WWE for what he said in confidence 20+ years after his peak, but WWE putting all of this on Hogan doesn't seem like the right thing to do either. Even if their response is, "Well, we do a much better job of vetting people now before we market them to specific audiences", that can be criticized or debated but it's at least acknowledging that this is just as much a WWE story as it is a Hogan story. Hogan is not the only person with a dark side to ever have success in pro wrestling, but as one of the biggest names in wrestling history -- maybe the biggest -- he should be held to a higher standard, specifically because he was marketed as a hero to children for so long.

True.

Hard to believe that was nearly 7 years ago, but the match itself was everything Starrcade 97 could have been from bell to bell.

The post-match was magic. Great moment. Hogan had the crowd in the palm of his hand all over again, and I still remember getting legit chills when a beaten & bloodied Hogan ripped off the white shirt & hulked up that night.

I think this came up in another topic but definitely one of my all time favorite TNA moments, absolutely loved that and one of the biggest pops they ever had as well.

There is something to be said for having bad thoughts and knowing they are wrong and never acting on them. Hogan was in an intimate situation and doped up when he said what he did. That you can't find any black wrestlers who knew Hogan that will call him racist points to that. Which is something I did research a lot at the time. It does not make what he said okay. But considering how the comments were recorded and released, it seems like a thought crime.

There is something to be said for having bad thoughts and knowing they are wrong and never acting on them. Hogan was in an intimate situation and doped up when he said what he did. That you can't find any black wrestlers who knew Hogan that will call him racist points to that. Which is something I did research a lot at the time. It does not make what he said okay. But considering how the comments were recorded and released, it seems like a thought crime.

At this point, really, it's not even that he said it. It's the degree to which he attempted to bullshit his way out of it, which he hasn't owned up to or made good on.

Having a racist discourse is not a "thought crime". It betrays a way to see and construct the world. How does it matter that Hogan never displayed any racism toward the black guys he worked with before ? That's just business. Bill Watts wasn't acting racist either. But the things Hogan said, or rather got caught saying in intimacy (in a context in which he was more himself, basically), are extremely racist. The fact he and his friends have only made excuses just makes it worse.

Cause the whole boning your pals old lady while he films it to jerk off to, and the phone rings and the ring tone is your daughters pop song as you're wiping off your dick is ok, until you say something stupid.

Hum.. yeah, it's just sex. Who cares ?

At the end of the rant he said "I guess we're all a little racist." That statement made it seem like it was actually out of character for him what he was saying. Of course he immediately followed that up with another n bomb but it was interesting comment that at least hints that the ugly episode was not the norm for him.

It's actually a way to relativize what he was just saying in a way that made the racist tone of his sentence "ok" because after all, it's not that big of a deal, right ? But no, we're not "all a little racist". But what he was just saying truly was. I guess it's ok to work with black guys when it's time to make money, but when his daughter is dating one, then surges something ugly.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Hogan thank the Saudi princes for the way they hosted them in Ryad soon. :lol:

I acknowledge that there's nothing atypical about how WWE handled the whole thing as a company, but for them to just fire him and wash their hands of the whole thing always rubbed me the wrong way. How did a guy who holds these views rise to the level he did in this world, traveling so extensively in the company of others, and interacting with so many fans, without anyone noticing? And if the company knew it and didn't care because he was such a cash cow, aren't they just as bad as him? (These are rhetorical questions, but stay with me.) They marketed him to children for the better part of the decade, only for him to later be exposed as a bigot, a drug user, and someone who can't be trusted on any issue. They built a national empire around him. Sure, you can't blame WWE for what he said in confidence 20+ years after his peak, but WWE putting all of this on Hogan doesn't seem like the right thing to do either. Even if their response is, "Well, we do a much better job of vetting people now before we market them to specific audiences", that can be criticized or debated but it's at least acknowledging that this is just as much a WWE story as it is a Hogan story. Hogan is not the only person with a dark side to ever have success in pro wrestling, but as one of the biggest names in wrestling history -- maybe the biggest -- he should be held to a higher standard, specifically because he was marketed as a hero to children for so long.

Everyones said similar things in private conversations with buddies, I mean stand up comics do it all the time. WWE just fired him so they didn't look bad and they handled that the wrong way they should have supported Hogan.

Having a racist discourse is not a "thought crime". It betrays a way to see and construct the world. How does it matter that Hogan never displayed any racism toward the black guys he worked with before ? That's just business. Bill Watts wasn't acting racist either. But the things Hogan said, or rather got caught saying in intimacy (in a context in which he was more himself, basically), are extremely racist. The fact he and his friends have only made excuses just makes it worse.

Cause the whole boning your pals old lady while he films it to jerk off to, and the phone rings and the ring tone is your daughters pop song as you're wiping off your dick is ok, until you say something stupid.

Hum.. yeah, it's just sex. Who cares ?

Well when you get down to it, Hogan's real response should have been "You only heard this in the course of violating my privacy, so shove it up your ass."

I mean really its "You said some very disturbing things when I was spying on you having sex." How the fuck do you claim the moral high ground. At best its a lateral move.

It's silly how Nash and Hall and others quickly rationalized him saying it with his charity work etc. Hogan's threshold wasn't having to eat with or work with black people, it was the possibility of black guys boning his daughter.

If you listen or read it is obvious the context is she was dating someone who had a father who had more money and resources than he had. Which Hogan could not admit, so he used his race. Now why Hogan thinks being racist is better, that is something for a psychologist to decide. But since I had no right to hear it in the first place, it doesn't matter.