Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-03-21-BJW] Takuya Nomura vs Yuya Aoki

Jmare007

The Strong Climb tournament has been fun as fuck so far. A bunch of 8-12 minutes matches that are so enjoyable to watch and very unique from one another, and with some very clever finishes.

But anyway, this match, So far this year we've seen Nomura (24 years old) having a "leap year" of sorts in terms of performances and in ring presence by being a feisty young guy that does not give a fuck about anything and will take it to anyone that's put in front on him. Well, what happens then when he's paired up with a guy like Aoki, who is only 21 years old and he also has a chip on his shoulder and wants to show HE is the promising star of the promotion? We get a dope fucking match, that's what happens. Man, if you would've told me Nomura fucked Aoki's girlfriend and Yuya found out on social media 10 minutes before the ball rang I would've believed it because HOLY FUCK at some of the strikes and suplexes he hits in this, no regard whatsoever for Nomura's well being. A very, very basic match with another "out of nowhere" finish that I couldn't help but love because of the roles these two portrayed, the hate and the strikes. And of course, all in just 10 minutes!

What a little banger of a match. Bulked up Nomura has been doing his best to channel Akira Maeda, incorporating things like the capture and half hatch suplex, and the crossface chickenwing, in addition to his stiff kicks. Here, he comes out of the gate throwing kicks, catching Aoki upside the head with one of them. They scramble around the mat a bit, with Aoki more than holding his own. The strike exchanged were snug and fiery, and we get some of that signature bad boy attitude from Nomura. At one point, he has Aoki in a sleeper, doesn't immediately let go in the ropes, Aoki pops him in the forehead with a kick, and Nomura gets pissy with him. I thought Aoki did a good job of playing the underdog and getting in his moments to shine, including folding Nomura in turn with a release German. They heat up the final strike exchange before Nomura hits the headbutt and submits him with the cross armlock.

Really cool little fight. Every match I've seen Nomura in he's been the young guy stepping to the established stars and he's been super fun just about every time. This was him having to deal with a younger version of himself, basically. It wasn't young guy with a chip on his shoulder up against established star/vet. It was young guy with a chip on his shoulder up against slightly older young guy with a chip on his shoulder. I liked Aoki a bunch. He wasn't about to back down and took it to Nomura like Nomura had earned it. I don't know what Nomura had done TO earn it, but Aoki was potatoing him all over the place and put him on his neck with a huge German. I could've done without Nomura popping up from it to land a head kick, but he did drop down afterwards so I guess I'll take delayed selling over no selling. For his part Nomura was really good as well. He threw potatoes right back, his chokes looked air tight and he put the kid in his place when he needed to. The early matwork didn't last very long, but it was more UWF than 70s NWA and they made it look slick. Nomura could be awesome in a few years and if Aoki is willing to crack folk in the jaw like this then I guess he could too.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-03-21-BJW] Takuya Nomura vs Yuya Aoki